What about Lego Chess?

Melea Lord

Been getting me old games running on my windows 7 64 bit. Sadly stuck on Lego Chess. I'm sure there's a way to enable it to play the ingame movies that are housed on the disc. Unfortunately it is the original windows 98 disc and has a 16bit installer. I have VMware I can set it up in, but the game doesn't play in either my windows 98 virtual machine or my windows xp virtual machine. It does work on windows 7 after applying patches but I do believe these remove the requirement for a disc... which I don't want to remove as it has the movies. So the main priority is the movies. If there's an alternative installer somewhere, that could fix it. It currently isn't marked as installed by Add/Remove.

And don't say somewhere in the files is a line telling it to look for a disc in the standard d : \ drive back in the day, that'd be irritating.

Cheers

but I do believe these remove the requirement for a disc... which I don't want to remove as it has the movies.

Then copy the movies off of the disc?

When I first saw this topic, I thought "Someone else is asking about LEGO Chess modding." I was wrong. :P

but I do believe these remove the requirement for a disc... which I don't want to remove as it has the movies.

What Lair said might work. Also, have you tried installing the patch and see if the game runs without the CD? If it still needs it, probelm solved. :)

. If there's an alternative installer somewhere, that could fix it.

Not entirely. Usually, video paths are defined in the Registry, and if the game plays them from the CD, it will have a string with a value like "F:Movies" or something. If that is the case, it would be possible to copy the movies to the game files and change the registry string to the new path. LEGO Racers 2 works like this, except it has the files on the HDD and uses those. An Alternate Installer has to dupcliate the functions of the original installer for the game to run. It wouldn't automatically fix any issues like this one.

And don't say somewhere in the files is a line telling it to look for a disc in the standard d : drive back in the day, that'd be irritating.

Whoops. I just did. :P

JrMasterModelBuilder

Not entirely. Usually, video paths are defined in the Registry, and if the game plays them from the CD, it will have a string with a value like "F:Movies" or something. If that is the case, it would be possible to copy the movies to the game files and change the registry string to the new path. LEGO Racers 2 works like this, except it has the files on the HDD and uses those. An Alternate Installer has to dupcliate the functions of the original installer for the game to run. It wouldn't automatically fix any issues like this one.

LEGO Racers uses a registry entry to find the audio and video files. If you use the minimal install option, it creates a path to the CD in the registry, if you use the full install, it creates a registry path the the install folder where it copies the audio and video files.

Also, just because the patch makes the game work without the CD, it may still use the videos off the CD if they are available. This is how my copy of Rock Raiders works. I can play without the CD, but the in-game videos won't play unless I put the CD in.

Also, just because the patch makes the game work without the CD, it may still use the videos off the CD if they are available. This is how my copy of Rock Raiders works. I can play without the CD, but the in-game videos won't play unless I put the CD in.

To add onto that, I'm pretty sure videos on the CD take precedence over ones in the DataAVI folder, at least for LRR. Once I had the CD in and I was wondering where all my custom movies went :P

Where to? Tried placing the folder at the same location as the lego chess executionable, didn't work.

What Lair said might work. Also, have you tried installing the patch and see if the game runs without the CD? If it still needs it, probelm solved. :)

So there are 2 patches, version 2.06B_int and a NoCD XP patch. After installing lego chess on the windows xp virtual machine and copying the files, with no patches applied total failure. With patch 2.06B_int it requests the cd. With the NoCD XP patch it works but with no movies.

Not entirely. Usually, video paths are defined in the Registry, and if the game plays them from the CD, it will have a string with a value like "F:\Movies" or something. If that is the case, it would be possible to copy the movies to the game files and change the registry string to the new path. LEGO Racers 2 works like this, except it has the files on the HDD and uses those. An Alternate Installer has to dupcliate the functions of the original installer for the game to run. It wouldn't automatically fix any issues like this one.

LEGO Racers uses a registry entry to find the audio and video files. If you use the minimal install option, it creates a path to the CD in the registry, if you use the full install, it creates a registry path the the install folder where it copies the audio and video files.

Not so hot with regedit. Don't registry values get created when installed? I haven't installed it on windows 7 (16bit installer) but moved it from my virtual machine which can run 16 bit programs. Only registry values I can locate are talking about the video in terms of graphics and drivers. No movie paths.

Hmm... let's see if I can replicate the registry values from my virtual machine.

JrMasterModelBuilder

Where to? Tried placing the folder at the same location as the lego chess executionable, didn't work.

The videos would probably need to be right next to the executable and not in a folder. Assuming this works anyway.

To add onto that, I'm pretty sure videos on the CD take precedence over ones in the DataAVI folder, at least for LRR. Once I had the CD in and I was wondering where all my custom movies went :P

That's probably the case in Rock Raiders. In the case of LEGO Racers 2 (BTW, I mistyped earlier, I meant LEGO Racers 2, not LEGO Racers) the registry entry defines where the videos are.

The videos would probably need to be right next to the executable and not in a folder. Assuming this works anyway.

Didn't work...

That's probably the case in Rock Raiders. In the case of LEGO Racers 2 (BTW, I mistyped earlier, I meant LEGO Racers 2, not LEGO Racers) the registry entry defines where the videos are.

I am unable to find registry values on my windows xp virtual machine which tell the game where the movie files are. If there is one know where it is? I did try the search thing btw. Some good news however is I managed to get lego chess running with the movies on the disk in my windows xp virtual machine with krisalis software mode and 1024x768 resolution. Still, windows 7 would be preferred.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.