Photo

LIME (LEGO Island Music Extractor)

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

Le Vee

It's amazing what you can find on the Internet. e342175.png

I was browsing Sourceforge yesterday to download a program I found the day before but didn't bookmark it. And you know on then SF search results how the program icon will be displayed if the developer added one? Well, while looking for that program (which didn't have an icon), I saw a green, 2x2 brick surrounded in a blue circle], and it was called LIME. Intrigued by this combination of icon
and name, I clicked the project, and found may be the biggest update to LEGO Island modding ever:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

This small project (also hosted on

) consists of single Python file that claims to extract the music
from JUKEBOX.SI (and any other SI files with music/audio from them). It has had only three

, and according to a

written on August 19, 2011, it is a stable release, ready to be used.

I downloaded the .py file, and after contacting Segatendo for a copy of JUKEBOX.SI ("Muffin for you for reading the credits e342175.png"), figuring
out what version of Python to use, and record a video about it 4 times (Afterburner would not create an AVI), I am ready to surprise the forum with this amazing piece of software that was already on the Internet for a year and was not written by me! gallery_254_22_254.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_a2hHzQYHw8

A few notes here:

• After much testing, I found that LIME will works with Python 2.7.3. It will end in a syntax error when run with Python 3K. I did not run it on anything lower than Python 2.5.
  • Since it is written in Python, it can be re-purposed to extract the other, non-audio SI files, or extract JUKEBOX.SI without converting them to WAV.
  • It currently spits out an error because it cannot pull the WAV audio from a Smaker video, and it will not extract anymore after it hits the block.

Basically, this small script changes the future of LEGO Island modding. And we have Matthew & Nick Thompson to thank for it. e342154.png

O.T.
Segatendo, I hope this helps boost your BDay up to a 11! gallery_254_22_254.png

• Cirevam, Lair, Xiron and 2 others thanked this

Xiron

Awesome! Good find!

Lair

Lair

Elite Member

• Crystal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,626 posts
Excuse my general derp, but I have some .PY file and no idea what to do with it.

edit: oh wad command line wth do i do

mumboking

My extraction ended with an error too. I used the file copied from the disc.
The next logical step would be extracting textures. Then, extract ALL the files!

EDIT: It's not extracting the Infomaniac's speech. :(

Lair

Lair

Elite Member

• Crystal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,626 posts

My extraction ended with an error too.

How did you even get your extraction to start? O_O

MrEightThreeOne

*sigh* This is where being a 90s computing enthusiast knowing a little something about DOS can come in handy...
Anyway, install Python 2.7.3 first. Just Google it, you'll find it. Now, put it in the directory with the SI file you want audio from (doing

comes in handy here, unless you want to type the file path along with it). Now, go to the command line and navigate to your Lego Island directory (keep typing "cd .." until you make it to the root of your CD drive, and keep typing "cd (Folder Name)" until you make it to where you want. Type "dir" to see a list of the files). Assuming you want to extract the music, you'd want to go to C:\Program Files\LEGO Island\LEGO\Scripts\Isle. Type "lime.py jukebox.si". There you go.
Anyway, I just found a weird 22 KHz version of the jail theme -- has this been discovered yet? I don't remember it ever being used, and instead of just being enhanced to higher quality, it's also a bit remixed too. It's in there as MusicTheme3.wav.

Lair

Lair

Elite Member

• Crystal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,626 posts

Now, go to the command line and navigate to your Lego Island directory

It keeps giving me a syntax error :/

EDIT: Now it says Jukebox.SI doesn't exist when it clearly does.

EDIT 2: I got it to read the WAV files, but it didn't extract them and gives some weird error.

EDIT 3: IT WORKS

mumboking

keep typing "cd .." until you make it to the root of your CD drive, and keep typing "cd (Folder Name)" until you make it to where you want.

I did it an easier way. You know, you can right click and paste the whole file address in cmd.
I copied the .si file into the script's directory then did the following:
cd "C:\Path\To\Folder\With\Script"
lime.py jukebox.si

MrEightThreeOne

Oh. I guess I just live in the olden days. At least I didn't say to type "cd Progra~1".
/nerdhumor

Lair

Lair

Elite Member

• Crystal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,626 posts
So I'm guessing this only works with JUKEBOX.SI?

MrEightThreeOne

It does kinda-sorta work with other files...but it does seem to be primarily written for JUKEBOX.SI.

Lair

Lair

Elite Member

• Crystal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,626 posts
I got a few Infomaniac lines extracted from one file (THIS IS THE ELEVATOR, IT GOES UUUUUUUUUUUUUP AND DOOOOOOOOOOWN) but mostly it gives errors.

Le Vee

I just found a weird 22 KHz version of the jail theme -- has this been discovered yet? I don't remember it ever being used, and instead of just being enhanced to higher quality, it's also a bit remixed too. It's in there as MusicTheme3.wav.

Yea, I heard that file. I played it in the video. It is the only file in the SI with that format (that what I was doing with ffmpeg in the vid, showing off the audio format).

My extraction ended with an error too. I used the file copied from the disc.
The next logical step would be extracting textures. Then, extract ALL the files!

EDIT: It's not extracting the Infomaniac's speech. :(

Hm.. Now that I look at the error message, it seems the extractor is failing (for me, at least) on Helicopter_Movie.wav. It's probabaly having trouble writing a WAV file for a movie. It's a good reason for the LIME code to be improved to not convert the stuff to WAV and extract it as-is (and extract all the other SI files too).

. Now, go to the command line and navigate to your Lego Island directory (keep typing "cd .." until you make it to the root of your CD drive, and keep typing "cd (Folder Name)" until you make it to where you want. Type "dir" to see a list of the files)

Or if you're on WinVista or 7, just hold Shift while right-clicking on the folder and click "Open command window here". You can install a Powertoy to do this on WinXp. :)

TheDoctor

If anyone wants I can run this through py2exe.

mumboking

it seems the extractor is failing (for me, at least) on Helicopter_Movie.wav

Same, my HelicopterBuild_Movie.wav is 0 bytes.

Or if you're on WinVista or 7, just hold Shift while right-clicking on the folder and click "Open command window here".

I never knew that, and I use 7.