Photo

DDI looking for help for BLOCK RAIDERS (Rock Raiders inspired title)

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

Antillies

Antillies

ORR-Delta Developer

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

:D

And you're already breaking the rules.  Guards!   *Whistles*

(Sarcasm aside, welcome back I suppose)

• Cyrem thanked this

Cyrem

Cyrem

Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,949 posts

Guys, Stewart has contacted me back.

other work has been getting in our way for a few months, and we had another office move, but we now have a clear window of availability. We are looking to launch a campaign on Kickstarter THIS  MONTH !  We are calling it BLOCK RAIDERS – as Lego will have a problem with us referring to the Rock Raiders name. IT will also be appropriate if we are planning on making the levels 3dimentional – like Minecraft.  We will be setting up a facebook page, and would like to know from all the Rock Raiders fans what features they want implemented, please suggest, comment and ask everyone you know.

Ideas for rewards, what would you like as a meaningful reward. Name in the game is good, but what else works? Motivates or rewards?

I have sent him the stuff in this topic, so I guess he is still looking for more ideas to compile. For the KS campain he is looking for proper rewards, so please suggest what you think they would be.

• Lair, jamesster, McStudz and 3 others thanked this

McJobless

Source code?

But seriously, rewards such as early-Beta access, the ability to create a level for the game (like, pre-release they allow you to design a level that will become part of the actual game), a copy of the game design document, maybe even a special physical edition with some kind of statue and some lithographs.

• Antillies, McStudz and alan thanked this

jamesster

jamesster

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,747 posts

Beta access is the #1 thing I'd want. Getting your own level in the game sounds cool, but I'm kinda worried that said levels wouldn't be guaranteed to be amazing, depending on the level design skills of the person paying for it - but still, it sounds fun, I'd go for it.

• alan thanked this

Xiron

Betabetabeta, yeah!

Anyhow, in regards to what jamesster said, only if levels by us would be top notch then they should be permitted.

TheDoctor

How about we start with whatever design docs they have? It'd be nice to get an idea of what exactly they're planning.
  • Cirevam, Lair, McStudz and 2 others thanked this

ProfessorBrickkeeper

ProfessorBrickkeeper

Keeper of the Bricks

• Silver Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Getting your own level in the game sounds cool, but I'm kinda worried that said levels wouldn't be guaranteed to be amazing, depending on the level design skills of the person paying for it

A better idea would be if the game backers were guven an exclusive game plugin of sorts to visually create levels with/and objectives with the levels being saved as their own individual files or folders so that we could then easily exchange them and just pop them into a folder in our copies of the game to play it. Oh, and if you do get to contact them soon enough, ask if they have plans for Mac or mobile support?

McJobless

A better idea would be a game plugin of sorts to visually create levels with/and objectives with the levels being saved as their own individual files or folders so that we could then easily exchange them and just pop them into a folder in our copies of the game to play it.

No it wouldn't. Have you even been paying attention to the discussion we were having? This is not about post-release, this is about rewards for people who invest money for development of the game.
  • Lair, jamesster and Antillies thanked this

Cyrem

Cyrem

Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,949 posts

Sent some suggestions back. Hopefully will get a reply.

alan

alan

Map Creator

• Platinum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

How could I dare ignoring this topic???  D8  D8

A new Rock Raiders with new graphics and ideas we can suggest? A dream comes true!  :love:

Rewards such as beta-access and level-building would be awesome! I would also offer myself to be a level designer if required.

Now here are things I suggest / support:

There can be several ore types that are used in different ways, some types with more quality (rare) and some that can be found everywhere (low-quality, basic ore). The idea of refining the ore types to get building materials is great, there could be buildings that refine ore and the materials have to be stored in a huge storage building/on a storage area. 

The upgrading of buildings could also be done with better material (that was produced in a refinery) so that the buildings look slightly different and have more functions. And because you need materials to build, mining tools to get ore a level could start like this:

You start off with a tool store that contains hand-held mining tools and a simple refinery for low-quality ore. When you mined the first walls and refinded the ore to building material, it is temporarily stored on a small pile beside the tool store. Then you can build new buildings, such as a better and bigger refinery that is able to refine better ore to better materials. You can now also build a bigger storage house/storage area for the material. Then you can get better material and so you can go on constructing and upgrading your base (including refinery and storage room). 

There are several other things that might be useful in the caves:

You can create pillars to support the cave ceilings so that cave-ins and landslides occur less often (of course you could create pillars of different quality that do not collapse so quickly --> different ore types)

Bridges (already suggested) would be very useful, an idea of how to construct them: If the river (no matter if lava or water) is not very wide, Rock Raiders can build them from land. There are different sizes of bridges you can build: a simple Rock Raiders bridge, a bridge for small and one for large vehicles (of course they cost a lot more material). If the rivers are wide you will have to get water/lava vehicles to build the bridges over the river.

The wall-mining system should be a little more realistic: when a single Rock Raider drills only at one place at the wall, only this part on the wall should crush, not the whole wall. With that method there could be several sizes of tunnels between the caves: a small corridor for RR only or a huge hall-like tunnel for vehicles and so on.

These are my ideas, all other great ideas have already been mentioned and I didn't have anything to add.

I'm really excited on how this will end, I would love to support this project!

• Xiron thanked this

LegoMathijs

I'm curious about the progress of development of the Rock Raiders game :-)

StewartG

StewartG

Regular

• Game Developers
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

I have had to deal with a number of personal problems, and trying to get and keep the team together, I have decided it would be best to remake the core Rock Raiders 1 engine, with all the modern compatability, HD graphics support, win8 etc, and add MOD features, so our 'basic none lego © models can then be replaced by Fans MODDED vehicles and creatures. This would be a great start and the new features can be in a later version. I will add some obvious improvements like improved AI.

• PWNZOR, Xiron, ExtremeDude2 and 2 others thanked this