DDI looking for help for Rock Raiders 2 (Rock Raiders inspired title)

StewartG

GordonFreeman

Screw Half-Life 3, I've been waiting for this for longer.

Things that I would LOVE to see is actually expand on the planet they were on, e.g. have surface HQ's were you would be able to stockpile resources and have things like elevators down through the mineshafts (which would be safer for the miners, given the teleporter's unpredictedness :P)

And make it a fully destructible environment.

Don't exactly care about the story, but you could extend upon the first game's story (should LEGO allow it to be Rock Raiders) and go further than it.

And make it a fully destructible environment.

It is a mining game... :P

I think he means something along the lines of Red Faction, or Fracture

Things that i can help with: models, textures, animation, sounds and a bit of coding.

Its just awesome to hear that this is going to happen, i was stunned when i first heard this o-o

I think I'll make some concept art for this, just for fun. I don't know what the art style would be like so I'll use my own styles.

• Like 2

Freespace/Freespace 2 (I forgot which one).

Second of all,

Pirating. It doesn't matter what you do, the people who steal games will ALWAYS steal games. Making it closed source and adding tons of protection only makes the process more fun for the crackers. You will never gain any profit from them. So it's best to focus on the people who will buy your game either way, and potentially more with this method, as people love friendly companies.

That game has been free since the source was released I think and remember that the game has been out a long time.

I agree with the focus, but you also need to remember that DDI is a business, it needs to make money to survive. You can't make money on a free source code.

This is an odd statement, not because it's not true (which it is), but because in theory it IS true. You can sell a game's compiled binaries for an arbitrarily ammount, and you can release the source for others to compile. What you're effectively selling is the labor it took to compile the game. Believe it or not, there are some people on the internet who don't know how programs work, let alone what a compiler is. Those are the people who would buy the game so they don't have to learn about compiling programs and such. More experienced people who know how to use a compiler would have the advantage of being able to build their own version of the game.

Now, the issue is people selling their version of the compiled game. This would only work if the original game designers didn't bog the game down with copyright stuff. Then again, the one who wants to sell a modified version of the game then is in the same situation as the original designers. Odd, isn't it?

Oh yeah, if DDI is looking for workers, I'm willing to join in. I can design, map and I've started learning animating (I've still got a lot of work to do).

Thanks to Pascal to inform me about this information i was away for like 8 months but with hearing this news i will be happy to contribute as modeler!

I have some input: POV-Ray uses a language that only lack player input, so with a translator, you can have a file that defines the nulls, animations, and AI. You also get a file that can be used directly by the raytracer if you use a on/off variable to make it bypass or define the otherwise undefined function calls. I think the main benefits, however, is that it is easy to import a model and you don't need to download anything to edit the files, they are just text files with the pov extension. The main challenge is obfuscation, as that would make concept art through POV-Ray difficult.

I would suggest vehicles (have plenty of them), but they carry the name Raider Industries and a badge with a conical drill on it. That said, with the excption of the MTT, the AST, and (points at avatar), they would not look like they had a Lego heritage.

If you base it off an open source engine, the add code directly to the engine, it is possible to have a semi-open source code game that can be sold, as only DDI knows exactly what was added.

The level system I came up with for my ORR branch would use multiple sets of map files, with a set for each layer, but only one script file. I have yet to decide how to declare the "ramps," but I am leaning towards a separate data file for those. As for the graphics and physics in that ORR branch, think as close to reality as possible and still flexible enough for older computers (I still have a WinME computer next to my "bay") and you get what I am shooting for. I still have not started coding, as I need to learn the finer points of C (POV-Ray SDL is a form of C, as I have come to find out) and write an assembler, compiler, and Rock Raider Operating System (yes, I did name my OS concept that). After those are out of the way, I will then have to collaborate with Intel, PCI-SIG, all of the firms that create the USB specification, and likely others, to derive the standards for my next comp, because the current way things are done is too inefficient for what I use as POV-Ray hogs the only ALU/FPU and most of the memory set on my current computer, yet the video card sits almost completely unused. If the video card could host even part of the operating system or other applications, that would speed things up, would it not?

Addict wants Linix compatiblity. I sure hope that results in a self contained binary that needs little gidance, because my next computer will use an AIOS (Advanced Input Outputs System, as opposed to BIOS) type OS, which at best, has not been done in micro computers since the, well, I am actually unsure if any "home" computer merged the BIOS and Operating system before. At worst, it has never been done before.

Please don't break anything.

Also release it for iPad/Android-stuff maybe? (I don't own any fancy smartphone/tablet stuff but I heard gaming on those things is booming.)

Also release it for iPad/Android-stuff maybe? (I don't own any fancy smartphone/tablet stuff but I heard gaming on those things is booming.)

You would really need to remove all the fancy stuff then :/

JrMasterModelBuilder

Freespace/Freespace 2 (I forgot which one).

Second of all,

Pirating. It doesn't matter what you do, the people who steal games will ALWAYS steal games. Making it closed source and adding tons of protection only makes the process more fun for the crackers. You will never gain any profit from them. So it's best to focus on the people who will buy your game either way, and potentially more with this method, as people love friendly companies.

That game has been free since the source was released I think and remember that the game has been out a long time.

I agree with the focus, but you also need to remember that DDI is a business, it needs to make money to survive. You can't make money on a free source code.

This is an odd statement, not because it's not true (which it is), but because in theory it IS true. You can sell a game's compiled binaries for an arbitrarily ammount, and you can release the source for others to compile. What you're effectively selling is the labor it took to compile the game. Believe it or not, there are some people on the internet who don't know how programs work, let alone what a compiler is. Those are the people who would buy the game so they don't have to learn about compiling programs and such. More experienced people who know how to use a compiler would have the advantage of being able to build their own version of the game.

Now, the issue is people selling their version of the compiled game. This would only work if the original game designers didn't bog the game down with copyright stuff. Then again, the one who wants to sell a modified version of the game then is in the same situation as the original designers. Odd, isn't it?

Growl is a good exampe of this. Yes, it's completely open source, but the binaries are not free. If you know how to use Xcode and the proper software version control program, you can obtain and compile the source and install it yourself for free. Or for $4 you can easily get it precompiled and installed from the App Store.

An OS X build would be nice and probably not too difficult if a Linux version were made.

Before people start throwing rotten tomatoes at me, I don't really support or even prefer Apple. Honestly, it's getting to the point where I hate all operating systems, especially Windows 8. OS X is just a school requirement and so my most powerful computer is a Mac.

I was thinking the source comes with the binaries.

Then bad guy uploads source & binaries. There's no point unless you're selling the binary for a couple of bucks... and you can't make a profit from that. This is why a lot of companies are going with the online DRM where you need to login before playing, they can make sure you bought it.

In whatever case, I don't believe DDI will give out a source... and I wouldn't expect them to. I don't like giving out sources to my stuff and most of it is free.

I was thinking the source comes with the binaries.

Then bad guy uploads source & binaries. There's no point unless you're selling the binary for a couple of bucks... and you can't make a profit from that. This is why a lot of companies are going with the online DRM where you need to login before playing, they can make sure you bought it.

In whatever case, I don't believe DDI will give out a source... and I wouldn't expect them to. I don't like giving out sources to my stuff and most of it is free.

Yea, i wouldnt really like to give out my sourcecodes either.

No DRM would be kinda user friendly though.

Edit: Or at least not internet-based DRM. or w/e. Horrible conflict of interest here.

No DRM would be kinda user friendly though.

Edit: Or at least not internet-based DRM. or w/e. Horrible conflict of interest here.

I once bought a game that had internet DRM, the company that made that game shutdown their servers, i just had to crack it...

Typical that this announcement comes the moment I and my team start working on our own game (its a spiritual successor to LRR in core components). Oh well, we're still going to make it :3

EDIT: As an aside, Steam is pretty much the only DRM I can stomach.

Fluffy Cupcake

Didn't check this topic until now because I didn't take it to be important, hence my late reply, but now that I'm here, I must say this is awesome that you are looking into doing this. :D

You would really need to remove all the fancy stuff then :/

Have you seen the power of the A5 processor? It can run TWD by Telltale with damn near perfect graphical fidelity. And the iPhone 5 will have an A6 processor

• Cyrem changed the title to DDI looking for help for Rock Raiders 2 (Rock Raiders inspired title)
  • lol username unpinned this topic

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.