DDI looking for help for Rock Raiders 2 (Rock Raiders inspired title)

StewartG

I think it would be best to let DDI use whatever format is easiest for them to use and easiest for us to modify. APNG would be too awkward for some people, I foresee. Plus, what are times we would need a strictly animated texture?

Fluffy Cupcake

What would be the biological purpose of a creature like that? Self-defense resulting in your own death doesn't work well, unless it's to defend a larger group of your kind.

If it isn't real. No logic is required. Unless you are aiming for something that is seemingly realistic, of course.

What would be the biological purpose of a creature like that? Self-defense resulting in your own death doesn't work well, unless it's to defend a larger group of your kind.

Raiders arent really wanted on planet U i guess, these creatures protect their planet with suicide... like a creeper in minecraft.

Raiders arent really wanted on planet U i guess, these creatures protect their planet with suicide... like a creeper in minecraft.

Look at the Bee as an example. When it attacks and stings to defend it's colony, it dies. Same can work with this creature.

• Like 2

Look at the Bee as an example. When it attacks and stings to defend it's colony, it dies. Same can work with this creature.

Ah yes, that makes perfect sense now. Thanks!

If it isn't real. No logic is required. Unless you are aiming for something that is seemingly realistic, of course.

I like seemingly-realistic behavior in creatures like that because it makes it seem like it's part of the wildlife, not just something put there only to attack you. If it were made by beings to be used against you then it would be okay to have no logic behind it.

• 3 months later...

Hello. Is this forum still being viewed? The title says they are looking for help. I was wondering how I could get involved. I am good at modelling low and high poly models and was wondering if I could be any use to this production and/or the modding community. Let me know. Thanks.

:B

Hello. Is this forum still being viewed? The title says they are looking for help. I was wondering how I could get involved. I am good at modelling low and high poly models and was wondering if I could be any use to this production and/or the modding community. Let me know. Thanks.

:B

It is. DDI is currently sorting out finance at the moment, but soon enough they will get into development once that is done. Welcome to the forum also.

Actually, I might shoot off another email soon to Stewart. I only email him every couple of months to check up on progress and suggest ideas so as to not abuse the privilege of discussing things with him.

If you have questions you would like to ask about the new project, or ideas (he really wants these) to share please post them and I'll include them with the email.

My email is currently at 1,400 words... my largest ever O_O And i'm not done.

• Like 2

I'd like to know a little more about how this game will work, it seems a little vague at the moment - as in, he mentioned a 'minecraft-style world', would this be the same kind of adventure game where players literally build and destroy in a sandbox world? Will there be new elements or themes involved that weren't in the original Rock Raiders sets?

I don't mean that in an attacking sort of manner, I'm genuinely interested and excited about this and as you said, had a few questions.

Also, It'd be great if they expanded on the original game's simple switching between the main game overview, and the character control. But the opposite, so the main focus is on you as an individual, and you can zoom out on the world to use additional small features.

DDI: Are you still looking for help with this project?

If so, what kind of help? I heard you mentioned programmers. Please elaborate.

Also, I put emphasis that I want full control over my levels/scenarios.

Will there be a sandbox mode? If so, what will it be like?

Will there be the possibility of having a mode where the player is free to play across the entire planet, not levels made in a map creator. What I mean is, a "Play on the entire planet" mode. Essentially, there won't be level size restrictions, but stuff like minecraft infinite map support would be used. I'd also imagine that the world would be split into sections/bases to make it manageable for the player. The AI would have to be quite automated in many cases too, as it's humanly impossible to control 14 bases at once with countless rock raiders, miners, and explorers.

How will Rock Raider's "Eye View/Shoulder view" modes translate to this game? Essentially a first person roleplaying game where you can assume control over any of your units at any given point in time and do anything with them? Or rather, if the player chooses a miner, the player does the miner's job at risk of that raider (the player) being disciplined by his superiors if he doesn't do his tasks. Likewise, if the player assumes control of the commanding officer, the player can issue orders to rock raiders directly through that commanding officer (such as walking around yelling at your subordinates and pointing here and there and commanding them to do things).

Suggestion:
A MMO mode where everybody plays the game in the form of a first person roleplaying game going about the tasks set out by the commanding officers who in turn will be controlled by players -- and the only ones presented with a RTS control mode ingame through devices like ingame computers.

More questions:
Any more words on Linux and other OS support?

How much will the game cost?

Thank you for welcoming me to the forums. I honestly suggest sticking to the Rock Raider type of gameplay, but expanding it's creative and exploration capabilities. I've heard it wont be "Lego" which I believe is a good idea, but in order for it to be a game people would play and enjoy for a long period of time you have to make it unique in it's own way without making it complicated. Think of a age of empires type game, base on creation and exploration rather then war and exploration. Then you add hazards, monsters., and maybe even a way to interact with other players on a local or global scale. Having randomized levels that stretch infinitely is a brilliant idea, but you need a way of incorporating these maps to allow for a multiplayer experience or a single player experience. people tend to enjoy the creativity of minecraft and enjoy the adventure and organization of Rock Raiders , finding a middle point is key to great success. I am very anxious for what may be pull off from this, but believe I could be of great assistance to story or gameplay ideas. If interested in my assistance let me know, otherwise those or my opinions. Thanks:) Puffdragon23@hotmail dot com

• Like 2

I have another idea for textures: Scalable Vector Graphics, so we can have hi res textures close up. It'd make the game look so much better.

I have another idea for textures: Scalable Vector Graphics, so we can have hi res textures close up. It'd make the game look so much better.

Thats an interesting idea. It would mean however most graphics would need to be made in vector based image editors like Illustrator. It would be good if the textures were not greatly detailed. I would still leave it open to support non-vector, so that we can use highly detailed textures and such.

I do wonder how this would be implemented though.

Thats an interesting idea. It would mean however most graphics would need to be made in vector based image editors like Illustrator. It would be good if the textures were not greatly detailed. I would still leave it open to support non-vector, so that we can use highly detailed textures and such.

You're on to something there, Cy. And my APNG idea could be optimized with this

You're on to something there, Cy. And my APNG idea could be optimized with this

I don't know of we would use the animation, as that cane just be done with the game. Unless you wanted animated liquids as such.

I don't know of any (non-flash) games that use APNG or SVG though.

I hardly know anything about vector graphics, but I do know LEGO Universe used vector based textures via Scaleform for minifigures - both shirt textures and the animated face textures (though the developers later transitioned to using DDS textures for clothing). It was a neat system, the developers could make animated face components (eyes, mouths, etc) in Flash, animate them, and then apply them as textures to the minifigure model. The pieces could then be applied in different combinations to make entirely new minifigure faces while only using a fairly small collection of modular animated textures.

Scaleform is a terrible, non-moddable, propitiatory format which is supposed to be a replacement for Flash (the entire Flash, not a single system) in video game engines like Unreal or CryEngine.

• 2 weeks later...

ok, first of all hi everyone! I was a member when RRU had just started out and we were still trying to figure out how to mod RR haha... I've been gone for a long time and even lost my original account, but I'm back!
Hard to belieave that DDI are actually pushing to make a new game happen, it's so exciting!
Here are my two cents in brainstorm fashion, I'll add more if I think of anything :)

• Monsters: I think monster spawning could be more similar to minecraft. have them spawn randomly once and a while from dark and unsupported destructible cave walls, maybe even lava! But also let them spawn from spawners (like minecraft's dungeons). This is also similar to how sligs spawned in RR, though I would have the option to use tnt on the spawners to seal them shut. The spawners could randomly appear in unlit areas or unexplored caves as well, so that closing one wouldn't mean being safe forever.

I also think we should have giant spider mobs, that can bite and poison miners and down lay webs that slow miners down for example.

I also support the idea of monster bosses, think of a giant rock monster made of energy crystal (with electricity powers), giant lava monster that can make miners and building catch fire and ice giants that can freeze miners and machinery in little ice blocks for example!

We also need giant mushrooms! thes could be hardous and release poisonous spores that make miners sick! they need to be destroyed by tnt or a vehicle and sick miners will have to go to the medical center or they would eventually die.

• Buildings:
    the geological center needs a revamp and so do mining lasers.

the support center should be divided into medical center, air support plant and food dispensery. the medical center heals rock raiders and takes care of poison (from spiders and mushrooms) and burns.

Electric fences.I propose that electric fence towers can be place far apart (e.g. up to 5 blocks apart for them to still protect the space in-between). To counteract this feature, the towers or nodes will be vulnerable to ranged attack by monsters if not upgraded to having offensive capabilities (which should be expensive).

Power stations to extend the range of power paths which should be limited to something like 15-20 blocks.

Building bridges and being able to dig walls from a floating vehicle should be taken for granted.

power paths should protect against lava erosion if reinforced and powered.

• Miners:

Specialized miners should wear a different outfit to be able to make them out from the normal guys easily.

Medics! Guards!

• Graphics:

at least support for bump mapping pleeeease! tesselation would be even better :P

• Like 3

:D

And you're already breaking the rules.  Guards!   *Whistles*

(Sarcasm aside, welcome back I suppose)

• 5 months later...

Guys, Stewart has contacted me back.

other work has been getting in our way for a few months, and we had another office move, but we now have a clear window of availability. We are looking to launch a campaign on Kickstarter THIS  MONTH !  We are calling it BLOCK RAIDERS – as Lego will have a problem with us referring to the Rock Raiders name. IT will also be appropriate if we are planning on making the levels 3dimentional – like Minecraft.  We will be setting up a facebook page, and would like to know from all the Rock Raiders fans what features they want implemented, please suggest, comment and ask everyone you know.

Ideas for rewards, what would you like as a meaningful reward. Name in the game is good, but what else works? Motivates or rewards?

I have sent him the stuff in this topic, so I guess he is still looking for more ideas to compile. For the KS campain he is looking for proper rewards, so please suggest what you think they would be.

Source code?

But seriously, rewards such as early-Beta access, the ability to create a level for the game (like, pre-release they allow you to design a level that will become part of the actual game), a copy of the game design document, maybe even a special physical edition with some kind of statue and some lithographs.

• Like 3

lol username

Beta access is the #1 thing I'd want. Getting your own level in the game sounds cool, but I'm kinda worried that said levels wouldn't be guaranteed to be amazing, depending on the level design skills of the person paying for it - but still, it sounds fun, I'd go for it.

Fluffy Cupcake

Betabetabeta, yeah!

Anyhow, in regards to what jamesster said, only if levels by us would be top notch then they should be permitted.

• Cyrem changed the title to DDI looking for help for Rock Raiders 2 (Rock Raiders inspired title)
  • lol username unpinned this topic

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.