DDI looking for help for Rock Raiders 2 (Rock Raiders inspired title)

StewartG

I highly doubt that LEGO would do such a thing, and even if it did, that it would go with DDI. It'd be much more likely for a Power Miners game, and that they'd use whatever company they're going with nowadays.

However, for the purpose of this, I'll just assume you're not some random kid trolling, and this is in fact a real thing.

All that aside, this sounds like ORR-C, my spiritual remake of RR. http://www.rockraidersunited.org/wiki/index.php?title=ORR-C

Welcome Stewart!

I'd just like to say to the other folks that I have done domain ownership checks and that this is the legit Stewart from DDI.

I have to go to work now but will be back later.

Mr. G, it's a me, the guy send you the emails ;P Welcome to RRU!

I think it's a great idea, but I was wondering about how you were going to style the game graphics wise. Will it be similar to ye olde LEGO, albeit without the studs, or will it be closer to Minecraft's 8-bit box approach?

Welcome Stewart!

I'd just like to say to the other folks that I have done domain ownership checks and that this is the legit Stewart from DDI.

In that case, I won't be sleeping for days knowing an official remake of RR is on the horizon.

I salute you, sir!

If my enthusiasm to go as far as to spend years working on my own remake of RR does not tell you what I think, I will say it directly;

I dreamt about a Rock Raiders 2 all the time when I was a child. I mean that literally. A 3D Dwarf Fortress Rock Raiders RTS game? That's like...That's a dream come true. I fully support it. I wouldn't be making my own remake of Rock Raiders that follows the same style if I didn't support it!

Edit: In all my excitement, I forgot to mention that I'm a programmer, and am willing to contribute to this. I recall you mentioned you're looking for programmers and modelers in one of your posts.

We are considering combining a mine craft style world, so you can build and dig in more ways, please tell us what you think?

Hi Stewart! It's such a pleasure and thrilling to hear from a current DDI person! Before I offer an opinion, might you be willing to elaborate on how you imagine a remake looking? When you say Minecraft-style world, do you mean simply in mimicking its (nearly) infinite map bounds or do you mean that the game would be played in a first-person perspective?

I just hope he isn't mad that we were so suspicious of him being a spammer since we've been dealing with a lot of spambots lately...

lol username

Oh heck yes.

So, like adding a sort of floor depth thing, so you can dig downwards as well and such? That would be a great addition. Are you thinking of a sequel, or re-make, or just a general follow-up game? Any talks with LEGO regarding the licensing?

Oh heck yes.

So, like adding a sort of floor depth thing, so you can dig downwards as well and such? That would be a great addition. Are you thinking of a sequel, or re-make, or just a general follow-up game? Any talks with LEGO regarding the licensing?

From what I understand they are looking to make a non-licensed mining game. It won't contain LEGO and won't be the same as LRR because they can't copy it. So I assume it's a new better mining game that incorporates elements of LRR. Vertical and horizontal digging is an idea they like, as do I and am sure many others will like this.

This is perhaps the greatest thing I have heard this month.

For me, since creating RRU.

In an email he mention he would like to get ideas for Monsters, Vehicles and other gameplay mechanics. He also mentioned what we would like to be moddable.

So, things I think are important modding features:

- Using a popular 3D model format (because not many can afford to use LightWave) such as .obj as an example.

- Landscapes that can be entirely re-textured

- NERPS was great in the fact that we could make custom level scripts, but it could be expanded further.

- Simple level file formats like LRR ( makes it easier for people like me to make level editors) or if you wanted to go full out and make your own editor, thats great too.

- Ability to add custom vehicles/monsters.

- Language strings file (allows the game to be changed to other languages)

- AI scripting for monsters if possible.

Basically, the more you allow us to do, the more amazing mods we can make which in turn also increases its popularity.

Things we wish RR could do:

- HD resolution support!

- Some sort of multplayer aspect

- In-Game menus that support the custom content (vehicles or other unit types)

- The ability to save and resume levels

Other Ideas:

- Flooding (like lava erosion but for water too)

More ideas to come....

If you need help in graphics or programming, I can try to lend a hand.

lol username

A non-LEGO mining game would be awesome as well. :D Especially if we could mod it to be LEGO themed... ;P

I agree completely with the ideas Cyrem has already posted, and to add some of my own...

• Keep the third and first person modes where you control units, but expand on them. It felt weird to be able to play directly as a Rock Raider in the original game, but unable to do basic things except for drilling walls.

• Have scenery objects, or building-type things in the levels not placed by the player. Ancient ruins, as a random example. Perhaps some could have special functions or you could have levels focused on finding or defending points like that?

I'll think of more and post them.

• Like 3

Well, I can only hope it wont be shovelware like their popcorn arcade series. I could POSSIBLY help with 3D modeling.

Popcorn Arcade was a budget Wii range. This is for PC (AFAIK) and they have been motivated to do this because of the fans of LRR and the fact that they are trying to work with us to create a game we all like is quite simply the best thing I've heard a developer do.

I'd also like to add that because it's their own title, they aren't being pressured by deadlines and they can decided what happens with the game instead of them.

Some requests I have:

1. I'd like to request it be free as in "freedom of speech, not free beer". (See the free software foundation)

That is, for us to take the source code and modify it as we wish to extend the game even further, and even maintain it so that it will work on additional operating systems (I'm a Linux user myself), and will work for years to come in this world of everchanging technology.

This does not mean the game will be given away for free, it simply means that the community is able to modify the source code as it wishes so as to better the program and keep it up to date, and take advantage of whatever new technologies are created as time goes on. DDI Would still possess the right to sell it to its users, in fact, I'd DONATE if you guys distributed it for no cost.

2. I request linux support. I don't have steady Windows access, and I prefer to use Linux for everything anyway. This would be very easy if the software is made free to modify, as I would be able to port it to Linux and DDI be able to focus on making the game without having to worry about compiling Linux binaries (though It'd be great if cross platform libraries were used!).

Well now I'm actually kinda excited now.

Also, to add onto James' suggestion. Defense of vital points in real time, in engine. Please not like Den defense from Assassins creed Rev.

Well now I'm actually kinda excited now.

Also, to add onto James' suggestion. Defense of vital points in real time, in engine. Please not like Den defense from Assassins creed Rev.

What do you mean by "Defense of vital points in real time, in engine." ?

1. I'd like to request it be free as in "freedom of speech, not free beer". (See the free software foundation)

That is, for us to take the source code and modify it as we wish to extend the game even further, and even maintain it so that it will work on additional operating systems (I'm a Linux user myself), and will work for years to come in this world of everchanging technology.

This does not mean the game will be given away for free, it simply means that the community is able to modify the source code as it wishes so as to better the program and keep it up to date, and take advantage of whatever new technologies are created as time goes on. DDI Would still possess the right to sell it to its users, in fact, I'd DONATE if you guys distributed it for no cost.

Problem with this is you can't sell something and give out the full source, people would then just steal the source, compile themselves. This is why I recommended improved scripting languages so that we can still do many things and DDI can still earn money. And remember, they have to because they have employees to pay and families to feed.

Problem with this is you can't sell something and give out the full source, people would then just steal the source, compile themselves. This is why I recommended improved scripting languages so that we can still do many things and DDI can still earn money. And remember, they have to because they have employees to pay and families to feed.

Freespace/Freespace 2 (I forgot which one).

Second of all,

Pirating. It doesn't matter what you do, the people who steal games will ALWAYS steal games. Making it closed source and adding tons of protection only makes the process more fun for the crackers. You will never gain any profit from them. So it's best to focus on the people who will buy your game either way, and potentially more with this method, as people love friendly companies.

Third of all, request:

game option where you have limited Raiders so that you name them and give them tasks and personalities and such and bond with them

Emphasis on option. Some players want this. Others don't. And others want this depending on mood. "I want to beat RR Remake normally." "I want to beat RR Remake in bond-with-my-raiders mode this time!"

Drill Master

Hmm. This is very interesting and I love it. I do have 1 request at the moment. I wasn't much of a fan for the Eating to regain stamina in RR. The Support Station was good but It shouldn't override your commands. (Where you'd tell a RR to pick up an Energy Crystal and he'd run all the way back to the SS just to eat, and I was always too busy to manually feed him)

Second of all,

Pirating. It doesn't matter what you do, the people who steal games will ALWAYS steal games. Making it closed source and adding tons of protection only makes the process more fun for the crackers. You will never gain any profit from them. So it's best to focus on the people who will buy your game either way, and potentially more with this method, as people love friendly companies.

That game has been free since the source was released I think and remember that the game has been out a long time.

I agree with the focus, but you also need to remember that DDI is a business, it needs to make money to survive. You can't make money on a free source code.

Second of all,

That game has been free since the source was released I think and remember that the game has been out a long time.

I agree with the focus, but you also need to remember that DDI is a business, it needs to make money to survive. You can't make money on a free source code.

I said "free as in free speech, not free beer".

Free as in Freedom, not "no pricetag".

• Cyrem changed the title to DDI looking for help for Rock Raiders 2 (Rock Raiders inspired title)
  • lol username unpinned this topic

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.