DDI looking for help for Rock Raiders 2 (Rock Raiders inspired title)

StewartG

ProfessorBrickkeeper

Getting your own level in the game sounds cool, but I'm kinda worried that said levels wouldn't be guaranteed to be amazing, depending on the level design skills of the person paying for it

A better idea would be if the game backers were guven an exclusive game plugin of sorts to visually create levels with/and objectives with the levels being saved as their own individual files or folders so that we could then easily exchange them and just pop them into a folder in our copies of the game to play it. Oh, and if you do get to contact them soon enough, ask if they have plans for Mac or mobile support?

A better idea would be a game plugin of sorts to visually create levels with/and objectives with the levels being saved as their own individual files or folders so that we could then easily exchange them and just pop them into a folder in our copies of the game to play it.

No it wouldn't. Have you even been paying attention to the discussion we were having? This is not about post-release, this is about rewards for people who invest money for development of the game.
  • Like 3

How could I dare ignoring this topic???  D8  D8

A new Rock Raiders with new graphics and ideas we can suggest? A dream comes true!  :love:

Rewards such as beta-access and level-building would be awesome! I would also offer myself to be a level designer if required.

Now here are things I suggest / support:

There can be several ore types that are used in different ways, some types with more quality (rare) and some that can be found everywhere (low-quality, basic ore). The idea of refining the ore types to get building materials is great, there could be buildings that refine ore and the materials have to be stored in a huge storage building/on a storage area. 

The upgrading of buildings could also be done with better material (that was produced in a refinery) so that the buildings look slightly different and have more functions. And because you need materials to build, mining tools to get ore a level could start like this:

You start off with a tool store that contains hand-held mining tools and a simple refinery for low-quality ore. When you mined the first walls and refinded the ore to building material, it is temporarily stored on a small pile beside the tool store. Then you can build new buildings, such as a better and bigger refinery that is able to refine better ore to better materials. You can now also build a bigger storage house/storage area for the material. Then you can get better material and so you can go on constructing and upgrading your base (including refinery and storage room). 

There are several other things that might be useful in the caves:

You can create pillars to support the cave ceilings so that cave-ins and landslides occur less often (of course you could create pillars of different quality that do not collapse so quickly --> different ore types)

Bridges (already suggested) would be very useful, an idea of how to construct them: If the river (no matter if lava or water) is not very wide, Rock Raiders can build them from land. There are different sizes of bridges you can build: a simple Rock Raiders bridge, a bridge for small and one for large vehicles (of course they cost a lot more material). If the rivers are wide you will have to get water/lava vehicles to build the bridges over the river.

The wall-mining system should be a little more realistic: when a single Rock Raider drills only at one place at the wall, only this part on the wall should crush, not the whole wall. With that method there could be several sizes of tunnels between the caves: a small corridor for RR only or a huge hall-like tunnel for vehicles and so on.

These are my ideas, all other great ideas have already been mentioned and I didn't have anything to add.

I'm really excited on how this will end, I would love to support this project!

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I have had to deal with a number of personal problems, and trying to get and keep the team together, I have decided it would be best to remake the core Rock Raiders 1 engine, with all the modern compatability, HD graphics support, win8 etc, and add MOD features, so our 'basic none lego © models can then be replaced by Fans MODDED vehicles and creatures. This would be a great start and the new features can be in a later version. I will add some obvious improvements like improved AI.

• Like 5

• 1 year later...

god, looking back at this, it was such a s***-show. i had hoped that DDI had some self-awareness about how they were a shovelware machine, and at first it seemed like they did, but their concepts for this game showed more and more that nothing had changed and that rock raiders being as good as it was really was just a fluke. i mean seriously, a minecraft clone? god damn, if you're gonna rip off anything for a rock raiders game then make something like a 3D dwarf fortress, it'd essentially be exactly the same as the original LRR except that you could dig down through multiple layers and there'd be actual water and lava physics instead of them just being tiles. that's basically all the major changes i'd want in a rock raiders remake (besides better AI, easier modding, and more complexity in numbers, parts, and behavior of the various units, creatures, and ecosystems, but i'd assume that would be a given for a modern game - then again, with DDI, maybe not). but instead they decided to make a minecraft clone, and lift most of their "ideas" from the original game instead of trying to create their own stuff. and then just to top it all off, everyone from DDI falls off the face of the earth and we never hear from them again. i have more faith in someone here making the sort of game i want, even with all the remakes people have started making and then falling off the face of the earth themselves - it may take forever but at least they'd listen to feedback, and at least they've shown progress before disappearing.

god.

8ccf864ba5cb0105da52338a643c65eb.png

i haven't looked at DDI's site in a long time and i completely forgot what an abomination it was. i was played like a fool. why would anyone ever trust someone with a site like this. i've seen grandma sites less disturbing and s***ty-looking. what idiots we were to have ever had hope for this.

3b43eed3b8c2ae16c4742c747e5ba79c.png

even now, the evil seed of what you have done germinates within you...

Fluffy Cupcake
1 hour ago, Ringtail said:

i have more faith in someone here making the sort of game i want, even with all the remakes people have started making and then falling off the face of the earth themselves - it may take forever but at least they'd listen to feedback, and at least they've shown progress before disappearing.

Amen to that good sir.

19 hours ago, Ringtail said:

god, looking back at this, it was such a s***-show. i had hoped that DDI had some self-awareness about how they were a shovelware machine, and at first it seemed like they did, but their concepts for this game showed more and more that nothing had changed and that rock raiders being as good as it was really was just a fluke. i mean seriously, a minecraft clone? god damn, if you're gonna rip off anything for a rock raiders game then make something like a 3D dwarf fortress, it'd essentially be exactly the same as the original LRR except that you could dig down through multiple layers and there'd be actual water and lava physics instead of them just being tiles. that's basically all the major changes i'd want in a rock raiders remake (besides better AI, easier modding, and more complexity in numbers, parts, and behavior of the various units, creatures, and ecosystems, but i'd assume that would be a given for a modern game - then again, with DDI, maybe not). but instead they decided to make a minecraft clone, and lift most of their "ideas" from the original game instead of trying to create their own stuff. and then just to top it all off, everyone from DDI falls off the face of the earth and we never hear from them again. i have more faith in someone here making the sort of game i want, even with all the remakes people have started making and then falling off the face of the earth themselves - it may take forever but at least they'd listen to feedback, and at least they've shown progress before disappearing.

god.

Ringtail, congrats on getting your job, I wish you good luck. Unfortunately is is very easy for someone who has never worked on a game, never run a team of developers, artists, animators, musicians, never published a title that has sold over a million units, to give their inexperienced opinion about work, content schedules, that you actually have no experience about. I know you will learn a heck of a lot now you are actually in the business, there is so much more to writing and publishing a game, the whole business side of considering sales, distribution, and marketing, are essential areas you have even less experience in. There is so much more to a project than posting ideas or pithy comments on a blog page. Firstly we HAVE tried to engage the community in designing RR2, the minecraft concept was just that, a concept, that we proposed and some liked it, however  the majority did not, so we decided NOT to go with the Minecraft style - that is called discussion, debate and listening to YOU the RRU fans. You all had a choice, you had input and we listened. Not all your ideas are good - in your new job you will learn that the world doesn't revolve around you and your ideas for copying 'Dwarf Fortress' (your shovelware concept!!!)  will be responded by thats 2D, that is a retrograde step, not an enhancement.

But from others, who wanted to get involved, we did get a lot of good feedback and constructive ideas, and most of what you listed as wanting, we have actually said we would incorporate. Multiple layers, water and lava physics,  better AI, better route finding, easier modding, new dirt types, new vehicles, HD models & meshes & textures. New creatures. And I sincerely thank all those that came up with these and more ideas.  This input is what we need, it is your chance to have a real involvement.

However ideas are the really easy part, actually getting a project completed is a far greater task. After good feedback I wanted to include the RRU team in working in and on this project, I put out multiple requests for art, programming, music content and I have got virtually no response. Some like shadowblaze did produce some music, (thank you, it is appreciated) RockMudder also created one model, perhaps 10% done, as it still needs fixing and textures, and animating. (Again thanks, I appreciate his input).  Fush, cirevam, and others have send model designs - I like these and we will use them!(we need these modeled and textured) Instead of being negative, moaning about other people not doing stuff, how about spending the time actually being creative and productive, you currently don't have the ability for a main game, but a level editor, is probably in your capability, you could have helped with this but you chose to do nothing, but then moan at other who are trying to help!!!  it really annoys me when people who can help, choose to do nothing and instead moan at those who are doing things, what a waste!

When you get more experience you will find that one of the reasons the other teams attempts have failed is they have not planned and organized enough at the pre-development stage. Many years of experience has taught me not to rush into demos, which look pretty but are not functional, until I am sure of what we are doing and that we will be able to complete it, then is when we start. The phrases, Sharpening your axe, before you cut down the tree, failing to plan is planning to fail, are true. Experienced developers who reliably finish their work, know planning is a priority and it is foolish and wasteful, to start a project without being sure you can and will finish.

I was trying to get members of the original RR team back on project, and I have had upto four agreeing, but working around their existing schedules is proving difficult.

I will again ask for anyone who can help to send in an application, I would love to have you the fans on the team, your continued input would be great and appreciated, and its a good opportunity for you to showcase, and get your first step in the business, but I am realizing that part time inexperienced development is not a reliable way to create games, I am leaning towards a full time development team, but that then requires a bigger more costly plan, but it will be a guaranteed development and release.

Be a winner not a whiner, please be part of the solution.

• Like 1

lol username

... k. I think I'm just gonna ignore most of the details of that post and simply ask - has anything happened in the year+ we haven't heard anything? The Facebook page has been inactive, the website went offline entirely, etc.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StewartG said:

...water and lava physics,  better AI, better route finding...

So you want 'Rock Raiders 2' to be a straight-faced mining simulator 20[Someyear]?

I mean, come on, the only reason we find LRR funny (other than it's moddability) is how poorly constructed some things in the game are (such as a Rock Raider's overwhelming priority to charge towards the nearest Support Station when hungry).

...or am I being mistaken?

11 minutes ago, Ben24x7 said:

So you want 'Rock Raiders 2' to be a straight-faced mining simulator 20[Someyear]?

I mean, come on, the only reason we find LRR funny (other than it's moddability) is how poorly constructed some things in the game are (such as a Rock Raider's overwhelming priority to charge towards the nearest Support Station when hungry).

I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in considering LEGO Rock Raiders to be an excellent game, if you exclude the flaws with the AI and whatnot. Wanting more Rock Raiders isn't about wanting the comedy (generally speaking).

1 minute ago, BobaFett2 said:

I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in considering LEGO Rock Raiders to be an excellent game, if you exclude the flaws with the AI and whatnot. Wanting more Rock Raiders isn't about wanting the comedy (generally speaking).

The flaws are there though. Do not exclude them.

Of course they're there. My point was merely about how good the game is and how much potential it had to be great.

lol username
1 minute ago, BobaFett2 said:

Of course they're there. My point was merely about how good the game is and how much potential it had to be great.

make rock raiders great again

• Like 4

Ringtail, congrats on getting your job

thanks for the condescension lmao, now I really regret ever trusting you guys.

there is so much more to writing and publishing a game, the whole business side of considering sales, distribution, and marketing

you guys made ninjabread man.

your ideas for copying 'Dwarf Fortress' (your shovelware concept!!!)

you've spent the last ten years making awful Wii shovelware, and now that's all your company is known for. do you really still not know what that word means?

and I never once said anything about copying, I just used that as an example because it's the only game I know of that demonstrates my point, as it's similar to the large-tile layout of Rock Raiders (as opposed to the small blocks used in Minecraft) while having depth to the world like I was suggesting, allowing for water depth and physics, multi-layer cavers with huge mushrooms and flying creatures, etc. it was essentially the same sort of stuff Polaris or whoever said in one of your topics, just with an example of how that would work, with a game that makes it work well.

will be responded by thats 2D, that is a retrograde step, not an enhancement.

ok ignoring the fact that I said "something like a 3D [version of]", only developers with a hard-on for the Nintendo 64 will tell you that. have you really not seen how many 2D games there are out there, both in layout and in graphical style? like, you know, the game I was using as an example, which you know a little about despite apparently being a step backwards that no one wants? have you seen how successful and popular some of them have been? just because most of the biggest video game companies keep pushing for more realistic graphics for their AAA console games, doesn't mean there isn't a market for other styles. but that's all irrelevant because that's not what I said.

we decided NOT to go with the Minecraft style

this is honestly the first I've heard of this. maybe if you guys didn't fall off the face of the earth...

However ideas are the really easy part

obviously not

After good feedback I wanted to include the RRU team in working in and on this project, I put out multiple requests for art, programming, music content and I have got virtually no response.

most of the people here are (or were when this stuff started out) in their teens and early twenties and have little or no experience. some people here have some good skill in those areas, a few looking for jobs there, but for the most part we're hobbyists and fans, or just starting out.

Instead of being negative, moaning about other people not doing stuff, how about spending the time actually being creative and productive

because I have no faith in your company. the post I made directly above Xiron's post above yours should show why.

a level editor, is probably in your capability

I programmed hello world and super-basic choose your own adventure stuff back in high school. that is the extent of my knowledge of programming. I have a little experience modelling and drawing but I've become really rusty with both, and it was always pretty crap anyway. I don't have anything to offer you right now. come back in ten years and i might be more skilled in one of those things, but right now I'm basically a little above zero.

I will again ask for anyone who can help to send in an application, I would love to have you the fans on the team, your continued input would be great and appreciated, and its a good opportunity for you to showcase, and get your first step in the business, but I am realizing that part time inexperienced development is not a reliable way to create games, I am leaning towards a full time development team, but that then requires a bigger more costly plan, but it will be a guaranteed development and release.

and now you're starting to sound like a post from clients from hell, so I guess there's nothing else I can say. your company is the laughing stock of the game industry and you haven't done anything here to show that this will be different.

Fluffy Cupcake
2 hours ago, StewartG said:

however the majority did not, so we decided NOT to go with the Minecraft style

Glad to hear that coming from you. Maybe now I can stop hearing everyone complain about it.

Well, perhaps only if you get any new progress posted on the non-RRU project pages, otherwise I may still have to hear it. ;P

it really annoys me when people who can help, choose to do nothing and instead moan at those who are doing things, what a waste!

I think part of the problem is that most of us are too busy with either college or full-time work to get off our butts then to do anything but help.

Have you seen the modding side of this community? It's drastically took a bit of a plunge the last few years.

I am leaning towards a full time development team, but that then requires a bigger more costly plan, but it will be a guaranteed development and release.

I don't care if you do a full-out development team so long as you don't botch this one up and it meets or even surpasses the quality of the original Rock Raiders.

And that means no shovel-ware.

Addictgamer
1 hour ago, Terrev said:
1 hour ago, Ben24x7 said:

yes

Yes. I am looking for a serious and well-constructed mining game with well-constructed and in-depth mechanics. In 1999, I was a child. Now I am no longer, and the child-orientated games that entertained me then do not hold the same grasp on me now.

I'm not saying I don't still boot up LRR occasionally -- it will always have a special spot in my game collection, but you won't see it sitting anywhere near the top of my Steam play list.

*guff*

cGIay9e.png

Gonna say this as straightforwardly as possible: This entire reply is bad. Throughout the entirety of this post are examples of you trying to claim to be a superior human being because you did some games once (some of which are, simply put, shovelware), and all this comes across as is trying to big yourself up. At one point you complain about the lack of people on here contributing to this project when, y'know, you (and this game) LITERALLY fell off the face of the earth for an entire year. What did you expect us to do, keep working on a seemingly dead project in the hope that you'll suddenly reappear with a finished project?

Also, how are you actually gonna be recompensing the people on here who do end up contributing to this project? Because if you're planning to sell this game as a commercial project without paying the people who put work into it on here fairly, then boy you're in for a world of pain. I'm not telling you to pay them now (that'd be a dumb idea, especially since we have no idea whether this thing will be a finished project one day), but if you've got it into your mind somehow that the members of RRU and the internet in general will work for you for nothing, think again.

So yeah, I'm pretty much 90% sure that this project is just another piece of shovelware that's only RR-related to try and cash in on the name in the vain hope that we'll blindly buy anything with Rock Raiders slapped on it. Yes this post is really harsh, but please at least try and take all of this in. 

• Cyrem changed the title to DDI looking for help for Rock Raiders 2 (Rock Raiders inspired title)
  • lol username unpinned this topic

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.