LEGO Island Windower

le717

This program is obsolete!

Please use ICU Windower instead.

Spoiler

Intro

After jamesster posted his video about >LEGO Island windowed mode, and an easier way was expressed to enable windowed mode, I spent two hours creating the LEGO Island Windower V1 using Inno Setup.

This small program simply changes the Full Screen registry string to whatever mode you want to play in, be it full screen or windowed. The changes are instant, so after running it, you should be able to play in whatever mode you want.

As of V1.3, the x86 and x64 versions from previous of LEGO Island Windower have been merged into one binary.

V1.3 is compiled with Inno Setup 5.5.2 Unicode to support Windows 8. Previous released were compiled with Inno Setup 5.4.3 Unicode, with the exception of V1.2.2.2, which was compiled with Inno Setup 5.5.1 Unicode to better support Windows 8. LEGO Island Windower Win98 (a special build for Windows 9x only, since LEGO Island was originally made to run on those OSs, was compiled with Inno Setup 5.4.3 ANSI.

My source code is available a separate download, as well as a guide on how to compile them yourself, if you want to do that sort of stuff.

Gallery

LEGO Island Windower x86 V1.2

23lzi8m.png

LEGO Island Windower x86 V1.2.2

Spoiler

2z7hnah.png

Video of LEGO Island Windower V1.2.1

Spoiler

Special thanks to (Thanks Cyrem!) for making the program icon for V1.0-V1.2.1 (although he didn't make it for the program. He made it for the forum. I just downloaded it and used it myself. e342175.png), and @rioforce for creating the totally awesome Brickster image for V1.2.2+ and Win98 special build.(thanks rioforce)!

I've also included some LEGO Island quotes in the program. See if you can find them. e345633.png

Can't Get It Working?

I've tested it as much as I could, but LEGO Island Windower must run as Admin in order to work. This is due to the fact Admin rights are need to write to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE section of the registry, where LEGO Island Windower does it's magic. It will work no other way (sorry about that you who use non-admin accounts! e342155.png)

If you are having trouble getting windowed mode to work (if you are using an Admin account), try setting LI to run in Ramp Emulation. So far, that is the only known way it will work. V1.3 will automatically do this for you.

Download Link!

LEGO Island Windower (Normal and Win98 Special Build) (Sourceforge.net Download)

Enjoy everyone!

-le717

• Like 1

Fluffy Cupcake

Yaaa.. aw, need admin permission to run. >.<

Well, if I ever get the chance to be on an admin account again, I'll get it to run as an invoker.

Alright everyone! New release (two actually!)

Earlier today, I released LEGO Island Windower V1.2, and I just released V1.2.1. I've fixed up a bunch of code (not that it was buggy, it just could be improved), and I've changed most of the text which tells AppName and AppVersion. I also added a compiling guide, and some LEGO Island quotes. ;)

@Segatendo Sorry buddy, but I made a version that didn't need Admin access, and it would not work. You'll have to convince your Dad to log into the Admin account and you can make it run as an invoker. I did I best I could, but I couldn't around that. :(

Fluffy Cupcake

Well, convincing isn't easy, which is why..

Well, if I ever get the chance to be on an admin account again [aka it doesn't get logged off], I'll get it to run as an invoker.
but thanks anyway.

Well, convincing isn't easy, which is why..

Well, if I ever get the chance to be on an admin account again [aka it doesn't get logged off], I'll get it to run as an invoker.
but thanks anyway.

Tried asking your Dad if you can run it as an invoker? Explain to him what it does (show him jamesster's and my video if needed), tell him it won't run on your user because it needs admin access, and have him leave it logged in so you can make it run on your name. I've done this myself, and it worked most of the time. ;)

Fluffy Cupcake

The thing is though, my dad doesn't trust things/people from the internet. His internet motto (well, not really) is "Nothing is free". So he wouldn't trust the program otherwise unless he didn't know it was from the internet.

Once I tried to get him to forward a port so I could host and play a game with Addict who I know so well.. it didn't turn out well.

Tbh I don't even think he knows about running things as invoker (what this does btw is allow me to run programs that would need permission to start up such as Cheat Engine and Fraps as a standard user).

It isn't working for me. It acts like it does, but then it's still fullscreen.

Hm... do you get an error message from LI, Windows, or the app? What version of Windows are you running, WinXP, Vista, or 7? X64 or x64? Have you tried a reboot after running it? (You shouldn't need to do that). Can you locate the LI registry string in regedit, run the app, and see if it changes it? I might have to add a flag in order to make it work.

Thanks for this, I always wanted Lego Island to run in Windowed Mode! Thanks le! :love:

You're welcome, ModdedLego! Let me know if you have the same error as Lair reported above. I can fix it, but if there is more than one error report, I'll know something is indeed wrong and not Lair's PC messing up. :)

It isn't working for me. It acts like it does, but then it's still fullscreen.

Hm... do you get an error message from LI, Windows, or the app? What version of Windows are you running, WinXP, Vista, or 7? X64 or x64? Have you tried a reboot after running it? (You shouldn't need to do that). Can you locate the LI registry string in regedit, run the app, and see if it changes it? I might have to add a flag in order to make it work.

It acts like it works. But then LI is still fullscreen. It's installed on a 7x64 machine. I'm thinking it might be because it's not installed in program files.

It acts like it works. But then LI is still fullscreen. It's installed on a 7x64 machine. I'm thinking it might be because it's not installed in program files.

It shouldn't be an issue if you installed it to program files or not. It doesn't even look for or modify that string. Can I send you a quick test build to see if it works?

Alright everyone! LEGO Island Windower V1.2.2 is released! Most notable in this version is that I've swapped the Windowed and Full Screen buttons, so Windowed is now the default option. I removed some dead code, and attempted a fix at the bug Lair reported (he already tested it and it did not work, but it may work for someone else).

Also, I got my brother rioforce to make me a new app icon. How's this look to you?

7858326218_ee7a249f8a_b_d.jpg

He drew the face texture with his tablet, and slapped it on a minifig model he created (but we cheated on the hat. :P).

Get LEGO Island Windower V1.2.2 on the topic post!

Fluffy Cupcake

I can report that it doesn't work for me either, I even checked the registry to make sure fullscreen wasn't enabled (which it wasn't). If it makes a difference, I am not using the masterpiece version, but the original and am using Windows 7 32-bit Home Premium. Not even running in Ramp Emulation works.

Edit: Restarted computer and it works (got an error when trying to start with ISLE.exe, but works with LEGOIsle.exe).

I can report that it doesn't work for me either, I even checked the registry to make sure fullscreen wasn't enabled (which it wasn't). If it makes a difference, I am not using the masterpiece version, but the original and am using Windows 7 32-bit Home Premium. Not even running in Ramp Emulation works.

Edit: Restarted computer and it works (got an error when trying to start with ISLE.exe, but works with LEGOIsle.exe).

Yea! You got Admin access! :D

Alright. Win7 x86, original release, works after an restart, but only with LEGOIsle.exe, Ramp Emulation.

You do understand that this only makes LI run in windowed mode, and doesn't fix the graphical/audio erroes that come up when running it, right? It will act like jamesster's video did. Lair didn't understand that, and I'm just making sure you do, since I haven't really made that clear.

LEGOIsle.exe is the main EXE, and Isle.exe is just a launcher, right? The game might have to be loaded directly to make it work.

BTW, are you able to make it go back to full screen via the tool? I asked someone else to test it (they use Win7x64), and it won't go back for them.

I'm working on V1.3 Beta 1 right now, and I'll try to get it out soon so you and everyone else can test it. ;)

No offense, but isn't this rather pointless if you need admin access anyways?

If you look at it that way, kinda. Admin access cannot be worked around, that's just how it has to happen. If you look at it as an easier way to enable windowed mode, then no. :)

I don't think I needed Ramp.

Yeah, I know.

Probably.

Yes, it works (or so the registry changes, can't test by launching the game because of the problem I mentioned).

What was the problem, again? You can't launch windowed mode, you have to restart before it works, or you have to load a different EXE? I'm positive my program didn't make everything break; it's the equivilent of changing the string yourself in regedit. My source code confirms that. If it doesn't work when changing it yourself, it won't work when you use the tool. Nevertheless, I can try to improve the odds of making it work by having the program make a couple of changes when it is run. I'm not trying to avoid helping you with your problem, I'm just trying to explain what is going on and how I might be able to change that. ;)

Fluffy Cupcake

What was the problem, again? You can't launch windowed mode, you have to restart before it works, or you have to load a different EXE? I'm positive my program didn't make everything break; it's the equivilent of changing the string yourself in regedit. My source code confirms that. If it doesn't work when changing it yourself, it won't work when you use the tool. Nevertheless, I can try to improve the odds of making it work by having the program make a couple of changes when it is run. I'm not trying to avoid helping you with your problem, I'm just trying to explain what is going on and how I might be able to change that. ;)

Sorry about that, I edited the problem out which was on the first line because I was derping, and forgot to edit that out.

Sorry about that, I edited the problem out which was on the first line because I was derping, and forgot to edit that out.

Oh, that makes more sence now.

But what did you do to make it work? You restarted, then loaded the game EXE and not the game launcher EXE, right?

Fluffy Cupcake
But what did you do to make it work? You restarted, then loaded the game EXE and not the game launcher EXE, right?
Yup.

• 3 weeks later...

Alright, new update.

Love it or hate it, the release of Windows 8 is impending. So I have compiled a new version that better supports Win8.

I have also compiled a special version that will run on Windows 9x, since LEGO Island was originally made for those OS's. This will be the only version, and will not be updated in the future.

Under the hood, the code to both versions is no different then V1.2.2.1. I have not had time to hammer out the bugs in the next version, so there have been no changes other than the new compiler. ;)

Get LEGO Island Windower V1.2.2.2 on the topic post!

Love it or hate it, the release of Windows 8 is impending.

:P

I'm not too thrilled with WIn8, even having not tried it, but Dad (through a long story) is getting a copy of Win8, and is going to put it on an old laptop, so I'll get to try it out. ;)

Anyway, small update here. After looking over my source, I have cleaned up the Win98 build. Among other things, I forgot to change text which ID'd it as the x86 version. I have changed that, and have limited it to not running on Windows 2000+, since the normal x86 build supports that OS. I also added text which tells you this fact when you run it on Win2K or later. One more change, which shouldn't be too confusing. LEGO Island Windower Win98 is now in V1.0.1. Because this is a special build that will not be updated as often/as all unlike the normal x86/x64 builds, I changed the version number. The code is based on x86 V1.2.2.2, but has been modified for Win98. From now on, if I do not specify what build has been updated/talk about it, I will be referring to the normal builds, and will make a point to say Win98 if I am talking about that one. ;)

I do not yet have a picture of the Win98 version running on Win98, because the VM is on the other computer. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I tried it and it works just fine. Too bad we don't know how to stop the game itself from wigging out when you run it this way, though.

• 1 month later...

I've just redone my Sourceforge.net LEGO Island Windower download folder, and there are a few changes that should be noted.

1: I've changed the URL to each version so it will be sorted by newest to oldest (from top to bottom). All I did was add a V to the begining of the version number.

2: Source code is now available as a seperate download. While the download wasn't that big with both of them, it makes it a bit easier to update, and if people want just the EXE and not the source.

Also of note (but not related to SF), I have tested LEGO Island Windower V1.2.2.2 x64 on Windows 8, and it works correctly.

No new release, I found out that multiple Check parameters are impossible, which put a dent in my plans for V1.3, and I have yet to find a workaround. I'll find it someday. ;)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.