~The Whovian Thread~

STUDZ

Well, it's no contest between Matt Smith and David Tennant. Smith is just a different Doctor that can pull off almost any type of headgear.

Now, the REAL battle would be Tom Baker vs. David Tennant.

Well, it's no contest between Matt Smith and David Tennant. Smith is just a different Doctor that can pull off almost any type of headgear.

I can't tell which you are saying would win.

Olympic Whovian stuff!

SO, Matt Smith apparently carried the Torch... http://www.thesun.co...h-in-Wales.html

BUT, Remember "Fear Her"? That was David Tennant:

tennant-olympics.png

In other news, apparently there was supposed to be a huge Doctor Who segment in the opening ceremonies, featuring all the incarnations of The Doctor that we know of (so far), but they pulled it out!

Reference: http://www.kasterborous.com/2012/08/doctor-who-cut-from-olympics-opening-ceremony/

Well, maybe we'll get something for the closing ceremonies?

• 1 month later...

Olympic Whovian stuff!

SO, Matt Smith apparently carried the Torch... http://www.thesun.co...h-in-Wales.html

BUT, Remember "Fear Her"? That was David Tennant:

tennant-olympics.png

In other news, apparently there was supposed to be a huge Doctor Who segment in the opening ceremonies, featuring all the incarnations of The Doctor that we know of (so far), but they pulled it out!

Reference: http://www.kasterbor...ening-ceremony/

Well, maybe we'll get something for the closing ceremonies?

Sadly, nothing in the closing ceremonies, either. They missed some of the best British stuff in both ceremonies...

I really do enjoy this show. I wish Netflix had both the old episodes and the absolute latest. The local PBS station carries some BBC shows, but they're mostly crime dramas.

• 2 months later...

Awesome, I share an apartment with Tom Baker!

free jelly babies for life

in other news why are there so many second doctor episodes missing it is really getting me mad

Well, my guess is that the Second Doctor's episodes were among the ones that were mass erased by the BBC way back when.

According to Wikipedia (which isn't 100% reliable, in my opinion), many Doctor Who episodes were wiped during the '60s and '70s. Most of those episodes were restored in some way, shape or form (via audio and fan recordings). Although, I did find a list of "lost" episodes from the First and Second Doctor's adventures.

For the Second Doctor, I found that parts of 15 serials (62 episodes altogether) have been lost, with no known footage accounted for. Patrick Troughton was in 21 serials, with 119 episodes altogether (I don't think this counts his appearances in the Doctor Crossover stories).

With this data, I'm pretty sure that it would be difficult to find very many Second Doctor stories in good enough condition to watch properly (I myself have only seen Tomb of the Cybermen).

So yeah. There's probably a bunch of Second Doctor stories missing because of the BBC's mass erasing move back in the sixties and seventies.

So yeah. There's probably a bunch of Second Doctor stories missing because of the BBC's mass erasing move back in the sixties and seventies.

200px-CaptainobviousChooseOption.jpg

That is not what I meant. Stop stating what everyone knows.

When I went through the first Doctor, there were considerably fewer slideshows than what I have encountered in two (up to The Faceless Ones, but I can't find The Power of the Daleks anywhere). This saddens me because I like him more than the first.

And really, none of the episodes are "lost" (though several probably are). The only one confirmed that we will never find a full copy of is the seventh episode of The Dalek's Master Plan, which was purposefully destroyed because it is a filler and it sucks. As in, the Doc breaks the fourth wall at the end, wishing the audience a merry Christmas. Also Charlie Chaplin.

So, I've seen maybe one Doctor Who ep, but now with the significant amount of free-time on my hand I've made a list of everything I need to watch, play and read before I die. Doctor Who is one of them. Could someone instruct me on what there is to watch?

Could someone instruct me on what there is to watch?

789 episodes, originally airing 1963, cancelled 1989, revived 2005. The majority of the episodes were up until the 80s, where it started going on hiatuses, and the new show has just a few single episodes each season, as opposed to the older show having stories spanning multiple episodes, anywhere from just 2 up to 13. I personally recommend the older stuff (if you can find it, the first six seasons are riddled with missing episodes, though most are reconstructed somewhere), but others seem to disagree with me. Some seem to find it boring, and I'll admit it can be a little slow-paced. But the new show seems like everything is rushed (like everything), and it all just doesn't feel Doctor-y to me.

Alright, I'll get right on that. Thankfully, the ABC shop will probably have most, if not all of that (or it did last time I was in there a couple weeks ago).

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.