I think I broke it

The2Banned2One

The2Banned2One

I was trying to make a no CD crack for the game, because CDs are a pain and somehow I made this happen.

Not exactly a screenshot, but this is the closest section I could find for this.

• Like 2

Fluffy Cupcake

Lol, you broke the game even more. Bravo!

Btw, the LI2 section is over here. http://www.rockraidersunited.org/forum/155-island-2-the-bricksters-revenge/

• Like 1

I removed the link in your post because we're particularly sensitive about distributing EXEs for games we don't own, especially since LEGO knows of us. I don't know if this particular case would be allowed (I doubt it) but I would ask that you would not distribute it on public channels unless a higher authority says otherwise.

• Like 2

The2Banned2One

I don't know if this particular case would be allowed (I doubt it) but I would ask that you would not distribute it on public channels unless a higher authority says otherwise.

Sorry about that. I assumed it would be allowed since I'm only distributing a small part of the game that can't be used without the rest. In the future, for distributing changes to the exe, would it be okay if I released programs that altered the exe?

I don't know if this particular case would be allowed (I doubt it) but I would ask that you would not distribute it on public channels unless a higher authority says otherwise.

Sorry about that. I assumed it would be allowed since I'm only distributing a small part of the game that can't be used without the rest. In the future, for distributing changes to the exe, would it be okay if I released programs that altered the exe?

For all intents and purposes, it is the game, just without the resources. We can recreate all of the resources, but not the exe.

For all intents and purposes, it is the game, just without the resources. We can recreate all of the resources, but not the exe.

I tend to disagree. I don't have any problems with distributing the EXE, as it doesn't serve any purpose without the CD in this case anyway. I understand RRU's views on piracy but sometimes it goes a bit too far and is actually counter productive.

Fluffy Cupcake

Well really, the exe can't work without the other files. Though it is still right what RRU is doing towards piracy. I don't see anything wrong with making something that alters/patches the exe though.

It has to do with how The Man views piracy. If a community takes steps to discourage what big businesses view as piracy, like romhacking communities that release IPS patches for copyrighted games, then they typically don't care. But they'll care if a copyrighted ROM is edited and released. I know that the EXE can't run without the other parts of the game and vice versa but because most people would consider the EXE to be the heart of the program, and because of legal crap, we kinda have to play by their rules. And we all know LEGO would say no to modifying and redistributing an EXE of a game they own the rights to, especially one that circumvents the copy protection.

But if you know how to do something like an IPS patch that alters the original file, then please, go ahead and do that.

Mr. Eight-Three-One

Well, to be specific, law doesn't only include EXEs, they'll tell you it's illegal even if it's a small part of the game. And believe me, there are games out there you can still play if you distribute everything but the EXE.

Anyway...wow that is one sturdy CD.

Well, to be specific, law doesn't only include EXEs, they'll tell you it's illegal even if it's a small part of the game. And believe me, there are games out there you can still play if you distribute everything but the EXE.

Enlighten me on how one would run a game without the exe to run it.

Enlighten me on how one would run a game without the exe to run it.

xD

Mr. Eight-Three-One

Alright, I wasn't going to go off into this tangent, but since they asked for it...

Take the Humongous Entertainment games for instance. If you were to take out the EXE and nothing else...well, there's three problems:

1. There's a demo for nearly all the games. You could just use any of those EXEs and the game would still be playable.

2. Even forgetting that, there's a W32 file, which is just an EXE in disguise. You can just rename it to an EXE and it still will work fine.

3. Even if you exclude THAT file, it's still playable via ScummVM, which simply needs no EXE file to play the games. By the way, they'd kill us if they saw us discussing this right now >_>

The2Banned2One

But if you know how to do something like an IPS patch that alters the original file, then please, go ahead and do that.

Lunar IPS worked. Haha.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1586195/LEGO%20Island%202_.ips

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.