Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Axel's Mod 1.5 (Updated, 4/10/2015)

89 posts in this topic

Posted

You may have installed the mod incorrectly; the .icd file was not involved in the mod - it's located in the main Rock Raiders folder, and this mod is all in the DATA folder/.WAD files (I think it's in the .wads).

Posted

wumb7t.jpg

I'm working on improving the overall biome textures, and so this will include my new biomes and the old ones alike.

I'm also, in doing this, trying to rectify issues that existed in the old biomes and those introduced in my new ones, such as color issues and so on.  Most of the problems were of my own causing, though, so I've been working on fixing them to the best of my ability, modeling a new, actually lego-ized wall support, using the models in the game for the energy crystal and ore seam textures, revamping the lava textures and rubble textures, and so on.  This is just to make things blend together a bit more, and to improve the graphics quality overall.  I hope you enjoy!  :)

2 people like this

Posted

Rapidshare download is broken again, choose mediafire or google's cloud drive, these seem to work better, and they don't delete old download files.

Posted

Hey Eaol, I've installed your mod, but it keeps crashing every 5 minutes on almost all maps? maybe due to me not having the right .cfg? Could you repost the config file, rapidshare must have deleted it!

Thanks!

1 person likes this

Posted

So I've taken a massive break from this.  Many of you thought it was dead.  But Axel's Mod never dies.  At least, not as long as I keep periodically coming back to it.

Thing is, I got so caught up in updating the textures it became tedious.  I can pick up where I left off, but it's gonna take a while.  I've pretty much finished the updated rock biome, and I have 14 more biomes to go.  I want a unique look to the monsters from each biome, and I really want some more creatures and loads of scenery, and new missions.  We'll see how this works out.  No promises yet.

1 person likes this

Posted

While no updates, thanks for keeping us up to date. :D It's good to hear this is still being worked on.

1 person likes this

Posted

Thing is, I got so caught up in updating the textures it became tedious.

If you need help on textures and such, even just not to waste time, why don't you ask someone to help you? I myself can't do textures, but there are a few dudes/dudettes here that are quite talented, you could ask them about this.

I apologize for the use of the term "dudette", but I felt it was worth pointing out.

Posted

I'm working on revamping completely all the biome textures.  Hopefully, when this is done, they'll look the 'same' but a lot higher resolution and a lot smoother.  Basically making all the textures from scratch.  The default Rock biome will look a lot more like the rock caves in the cutscenes :)

Posted

qrd7dc.jpg

Just to give you an idea of what this is.  It's a Work-In-Progress Dirt Wall texture for a revamped ROCK biome.  If I'm satisfied with this kind of thing, all biome textures, including those on scenery objects, will be getting this treatment.  Suggestions welcome!  ^_^

1 person likes this

Posted

That looks very nice, good job! The amount of hues makes the texture look quite interesting. What's the technique you used to make it?

Suggestions... Well, I'm not too familiar with LEGO Rock Raiders, so... I don't know what to tell you. :P

Posted

Haha, you're following a mod for a game you don't play?   :P

Anyway, I basically re-drew the regular texture for the rock shapes so it's recognizable, then I did a lot of crazy filter magic and stuff of the like.  This way, it's reasonably fast, but it'll take a while anyway, one texture at a time.  I'm one guy :P

You know, I actually seriously considered physically modelling some of the walls and then photographing them/getting lighting on them for reference.  But I think this style instead looks fine, though I might change my mind for some textures - there's a limited number of kinds of surfaces I can do with this method.

Posted

Haha, you're following a mod for a game you don't play? :P

Yes of course, why shouldn't I? :P

Anyway, I basically re-drew the regular texture for the rock shapes so it's recognizable, then I did a lot of crazy filter magic and stuff of the like. This way, it's reasonably fast, but it'll take a while anyway, one texture at a time. I'm one guy :P

You know, I actually seriously considered physically modelling some of the walls and then photographing them/getting lighting on them for reference.  But I think this style instead looks fine, though I might change my mind for some textures - there's a limited number of kinds of surfaces I can do with this method.

Ah, the good old crazy filter magic, it never fails.

Hm, sounds like a tedious method. But if it becomes necessary, I guess trying it out can't hurt. :thumbsup:

Posted

It looks.... interesting to say the least. I'm not sure what to think of it by just looking at the texture alone without it being in use.

Posted

Yeah.  I've already changed the ground texture again.  If I'm remaking the rock biome, I want the floor's darkness to be similar to the regular biome's brightness.  It'll make it feel more like a remake than a new biome.  Also, the ground texture in the shared image is atrocious.