Lego Memories

Pranciblad

Since I've been looking through a lot of my oldest Lego stuff recently, I realized we didn't really have a thread for just telling stories about our real-life Lego memories. As I've confessed before, I really have no Rock Raiders stuff at all. You see, I was around when Rock Raiders came out, but they went to my cousin, as I was more interested in Lego's old (excellent) Ninja line at the time. Kind of makes me sad that Ninjago threw out all the creative designs for generic shonen tripe. Anyway, my cousin did have a few sets. I believe he had the HQ and the Granite Grinder. It's not that I wasn't interested in Rock Raiders, I liked the designs and the cool industrial aesthetic, but I had to wait until Life on Mars for my first taste of Lego sci-fi, and boy I loved it. Those crazy robot designs and the big tube base with the pump were awesome. However, at least Lego's next Mars-oriented line, mars mission, didn't seem to be intended as a real successor to the original LOM- unlike y'know, Power Miners was to Rock Raiders, and as a result I'm more apathetic than hateful towards it. Also, I was very big on early Bionicle. I dropped out very early, as in around the time the weird "Ignition" stuff started.

EDIT: Large rant on Bionicle removed. I don't want this to be another RAR HAET thread. Instead lookie here- that's one of my first real "themed" sets from 12 years ago. I still think it's a good set and one of my favorite fire stations but... This was when specialized pieces started to seep into Lego in certain places- namely, the chassis for the firetruck is this really complicated one with space for Technic pins(!?) and could probably form the backbone of a neat creation, but it almost always appeared in town sets (entry-level System at the time), where it only served the purpose older, simpler pieces served before! Why Lego squandered its potential I have no Idea.

Oh, and does anyone remember the old (association) football line? I think in addition to the Rock Raiders stuff, my cousin had the big stadium set, but we were crap at playing and kept losing the balls. Looking back, it seems like he got a lot of the better sets at the time, especially the Johnny Thunder ones, but that's for another time.

FURTHER EDIT (cause I hate bumping my own thread): I think I figured it out. The Technic pin-hole is actually to attach trailers without the use of a turntable piece (clever!), and it used in sets like this. Still doesn' explain its presence in this set, where they could have used a simpler design.

Fluffy Cupcake
Oh, and does anyone remember the old (association) football line? I think in addition to the Rock Raiders stuff, my cousin had the big stadium set, but we were crap at playing and kept losing the balls. Looking back, it seems like he got a lot of the better sets at the time, especially the Johnny Thunder ones, but that's for another time.
My bro has that, though it is kind of a mess now. Johnny Thunder sets were pretty cool.

Kind of makes me sad that Ninjago threw out all the creative designs for generic shonen tripe.

This. Just this.

Oh, and does anyone remember the old (association) football line?

I only know it well through the 2002 game. Oh, but what a game it was.

Anyway. I still feel like I was late to the Lego party. Didn't even know about it until 2003.

lol username

Besides the main characters being ninja, you can't really compare the original Ninja theme to Ninjago... One is an actual Ninja theme set in Japan where things are (mostly) played straight, the other takes place on another planet sometime ranging from present day to near future, with mechs and giant cities and androids mixed with mythology type stuff and fantasy. :P Whether you like the theme or not is up to you, obviously, personally I'm kind of neutral on it. But there's no denying it's been incredibly successful for LEGO, for instance, the pre-orders for the first Ninjago graphic novel ALONE were more then the total combined sales of ALL Bionicle graphic novels.

Also, next year, the story arc will have zombie pirates as enemies.

And one of the main ninja characters was revealed to be an android.

LEGO NINJA PIRATE ZOMBIE ROBOT

:af:

• 2 weeks later...

Ninja theme to Ninjago... One is an actual Ninja theme set in Japan where things are (mostly) played straight, the other takes place on another planet sometime ranging from present day to near future

How Ninjago became a top seller I do not know, it doesn't even interest me in the slightest.

Now that they have all these trading cards and shows, I dislike it further mainly because it looks like LEGO is stretching to get every dollar they can out of the theme before they kill it next year and replace it with another Ninja theme, or that's at-least what I thought I read.

LEGO is stretching to get every dollar they can out of the theme

That's how it's always gone. It just seems like it's trying to literally have everything in it now.

That's how it's always gone. It just seems like it's trying to literally have everything in it now.

Have they added Mechs yet?

Have they added Mechs yet?

There are mechs in the ninjago show

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.