Manga/anime Discussion Topic

McJobless

The bronies got a topic, so I'm calling all teh manga and anime fans to unite and discuss. I have no idea where to start, so I'll just go ahead and list my interests.

Note that everything I've watched and read was shown to me by my cousin and cub. First manga was Azumanga Daioh. Absolutely fantastic, and its simple layout helped me get acquainted to the format of Japanese texts and comics (I had learnt they were read back to front in my Japanese class, but had forgotten...made it awkward when I was reading it and they were going back in time...). From there, I went on to Youtsub&!. Even better, and by the same guy. He really knows how to make little cartoon girls you don't want to instantly kick into a trash bin.

Took a serious route, and attempted Crescent Moon. Couldn't make it past page 65. It's just too confusing at parts. If I had of read Puella Magi Madoka Magica first, I might not of had those issues, because it's a good way to learn how to read action manga. Right now I'm at chapter 75 of Elfen Lied, and I tell you, not for kids. So not for kids...

I haven't seen much anime, but I've seen a couple episodes of Bleach and Naruto, and I've seen movies like Summer Wars and Howl's Moving Castle (if that even counts).

So yeah, what about you? If you've seen/read any of that, your thoughts? No point discussing till somebody else is here to discuss with...

Manga-wise I've been following Bleach, Psyren and Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney. I'll drop Bleach after volume 40 though - everything after that is just a cash-in sequel and should have just been its own series. I also may not be able to follow Psyren any more since Shonen Jump has discontinued their weekly magazine.

Honestly, the last Anime I watched was F-Zero: Falcon Densetsu (F-Zero: Legend of Captain Falcon) in Japanese with English subtitles a year ago as a little self-assigned homework for Japanese class. I've been trying to find this one movie called "Blue Submarine No. 6" or something like that, though. I saw it on CN's Toonami segment back in the late 90's.

i've seen the fist couple of episodes of bleach, too bad that i don't have time to do that anymore

:c

Just finished Elfen Lied. Just...wow. It's beyond powerful. Naturally, there were things I didn't like in it, but it is fantastic. It's amazing.

Addictgamer

My sister can fill this topic up with everything. She would even be able to understand all of Niall's references.

Me? I don't watch...anything. Dragonball wasted a whole summer of mine a few years ago. I don't want to repeat that.

• Like 1

Lol, i just came back from Animecon '12 in the Netherlands :).

Anyways i have a tiny list of watched and going to:

watched:

Elfen lied - I agree with extreme great anime, nice plot, great design

Mirai Nikki (Future Dairy) - Nice anime; i liked how they cliffhanged you, and you just want to figure out about it

School Days - Got a trauma... (NOT RECOMMENDED)

Popotan - It was a great laugh :P

watching:

Naruto - i just love it.

Zombie no desu (or something like it) - Random chainsaw carrying pink girlclothes wearing zombie guy...

To do:

Death Note.

Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai

i think that i'm going to watch highschool dxd and highschool of the dead.

Hope you love scary flashing zombie faces ;P

I was talking to my friend at school today. He pretty much disowned me at first for not watching the anime versions of any of the manga I've read. He told me that Elfen Lied anime has bits which are worse than the manga (as in the content, not the quality), but apparently they didn't show

Lucy getting melted at the end from abusing her power.

Is that true?

I was talking to my friend at school today. He pretty much disowned me at first for not watching the anime versions of any of the manga I've read. He told me that Elfen Lied anime has bits which are worse than the manga (as in the content, not the quality), but apparently they didn't show

Lucy getting melted at the end from abusing her power.

Is that true?

As far as i know not, didn't she left in both series (Anime and Manga)?

Or is there a sequel?

Or is there a sequel?

In the manga,

she is captured, taken to that base, gets extremely powerful, kills the shell of Anna and the main bad guy, finds whats-his-face and meets him at the lighthouse and then whats-his-face gets shot by Nana's father, which causes her to overabuse her powers in a fit of rage in attempt to kill everybody, but starts melting, so she uses part of her melting body to heal whats-his-face and then her evil self comes out, so whats-his-face shoots her on her good side's request.

It's much more complex than that, and I haven't included the epilogue, but I don't have the time or memory to write it all down.

mike, you must know that i'm not scared of screamers anymore.

mike, you must know that i'm not scared of screamers anymore.

Challange Accepted >:)

Or is there a sequel?

In the manga,

she is captured, taken to that base, gets extremely powerful, kills the shell of Anna and the main bad guy, finds whats-his-face and meets him at the lighthouse and then whats-his-face gets shot by Nana's father, which causes her to overabuse her powers in a fit of rage in attempt to kill everybody, but starts melting, so she uses part of her melting body to heal whats-his-face and then her evil self comes out, so whats-his-face shoots her on her good side's request.

It's much more complex than that, and I haven't included the epilogue, but I don't have the time or memory to write it all down.

What about the begin then? she killed thousands over there and didn't overuse. Still not sure but i didn't read the whole manga ;P

What about the begin then? she

killed thousands over there and didn't overuse

. Still not sure but i didn't read the whole manga ;P

It's ok, I'm just checking to confirm what my friend said.

At the start she

hasn't achieved full power, she's still growing. She also limits her power to only killing anybody who comes within the 2m, it's not till the first encounter with Bandou that she starts trying to kill people outside the 2m. At the end, she reaches full power, and she tries to tear apart the entire world because they shot whats-his-face, and that's how she overabuses her powers. If she simply killed people only, she would be fine.

eats watermelon.

What about the begin then? she

killed thousands over there and didn't overuse

. Still not sure but i didn't read the whole manga ;P

It's ok, I'm just checking to confirm what my friend said.

At the start she

hasn't achieved full power, she's still growing. She also limits her power to only killing anybody who comes within the 2m, it's not till the first encounter with Bandou that she starts trying to kill people outside the 2m. At the end, she reaches full power, and she tries to tear apart the entire world because they shot whats-his-face, and that's how she overabuses her powers. If she simply killed people only, she would be fine.

eats watermelon.

That explains alot, i would have been a thousand times stronger with my watermelon too :D

but seriously, i understand it but it sounds like she can go like on and on and on for ever with a 2m radius

:P

but seriously, i understand it but it sounds like she can go like on and on and on for ever with a 2m radius

Watermelon: It contains a little burst of plutonium for that superpower kick!

It does at times, but that's because she used techniques to lure them into the 2m, such as throwing that grenade (I think she did that, Bandou fight). When she gets full power, her arms can pretty much reach the entirety of Japan, so they must get to about 400KMs...

Fluffy Cupcake

Me? I don't watch...anything. Dragonball wasted a whole summer of mine a few years ago. I don't want to repeat that.

Eh, same here. I never did know that you watched dragonball, or any show before.

Watermelon: It contains a little burst of plutonium for that superpower kick!

It does at times, but that's because she used techniques to lure them into the 2m, such as throwing that grenade (I think she did that, Bandou fight). When she gets full power, her arms can pretty much reach the entirety of Japan, so they must get to about 400KMs...

Explains :o well i think your friend might be right then :P

Currently watching Evangelion. I have both the entire TV Series, and then the two movies which are essentially a two part redub of the TV Series. So far, so awesome. I question why the aliens are called Angels, though, if they bear no resemblance to the Angels in teh bible (note that when they explode the make the sign of the cross, the first one was called Adam and there are various other Christian references).

I was much pleased with the second movie, moreso than the first and the TV Series. As I hoped, they've really deviated from the TV Series with this one, but there is one problem.

They didn't use the Watermelons as the inspiration for Shinji to go and get involved in the fight with the 10th angel. Sure, I can understand because they need to give purpose to the new girl, but I think the Watermelons and Kaji had more effect than her.

Opportunity missed. I have a couple questions, but I'll save them for the release of the next two movies.

Well, I just started watching Cowboy Bebop. Most important lesson: Don't leave Ganymede Lobster in the fridge for an extended period of time, or the fridge will become its own mini-ecosystem.

On a serious note, I'm a sucker for Space Westerns, and Bebop is no exception. I keep getting reminded of Joss Wheadon's Firefly.

• 2 weeks later...

Still waiting for Rebirth of Evangelion 3 (Q). Looks like they've had enough of keeping the characters all happy and lovey-dovey so they're going to drag them through the s***ter on this one.

Going to also start Sun-ken Rock, Aphorism and D. Gray Man soon.

• 7 months later...

Massive bump. In between then and now, I've watched Summer Wars, which was SUPERB, and also the first season of Bleach, which was SO. MUCH. AWESOME.

RoE3 comes out here in July, close to my birthday. Very excited for it.

The only two Anime left that I have watched and like is Death Note and Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood. I enjoyed the former for its clever clash of intellect, and the later for everything it ever did. I watched all of Death Note once, and watched each epsiode of FMA:B an average of 6 times; I like watching something while I do LEGO Stuff. I haven't watched the final episode of FMA:B though because of... reasons; It's a habit I have with series I enjoy.

I've sampled some other shows in the genre by looking over my sister's shoulder, and my reaction tends to be a resounding grunting noise.

Actually I forgot that I want to watch Cowboy Bebop, at the recommendation of another LEGO friend.

The only two Anime left that I have watched and like is Death Note and Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood.

Jeeze, once I've caught up to the current episode of Bleach, I need to watch these two. I started on the manga for FMA, and it's pretty good. I'm not sure I want to break into Naruto yet because apparently that's a massive commitment, and One Piece is beyond me at the moment.

Thinking about reading Elfen Lied again this weekend.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.