Photo

Manga/anime Discussion Topic

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

McJobless

The bronies got a topic, so I'm calling all teh manga and anime fans to unite and discuss. I have no idea where to start, so I'll just go ahead and list my interests.

Note that everything I've watched and read was shown to me by my cousin and cub. First manga was Azumanga Daioh. Absolutely fantastic, and its simple layout helped me get acquainted to the format of Japanese texts and comics (I had learnt they were read back to front in my Japanese class, but had forgotten...made it awkward when I was reading it and they were going back in time...). From there, I went on to Youtsub&!. Even better, and by the same guy. He really knows how to make little cartoon girls you don't want to instantly kick into a trash bin.

Took a serious route, and attempted Crescent Moon. Couldn't make it past page 65. It's just too confusing at parts. If I had of read Puella Magi Madoka Magica first, I might not of had those issues, because it's a good way to learn how to read action manga. Right now I'm at chapter 75 of Elfen Lied, and I tell you, not for kids. So not for kids...

I haven't seen much anime, but I've seen a couple episodes of Bleach and Naruto, and I've seen movies like Summer Wars and Howl's Moving Castle (if that even counts).

So yeah, what about you? If you've seen/read any of that, your thoughts? No point discussing till somebody else is here to discuss with...

Phoenyx

Manga-wise I've been following Bleach, Psyren and Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney. I'll drop Bleach after volume 40 though - everything after that is just a cash-in sequel and should have just been its own series. I also may not be able to follow Psyren any more since Shonen Jump has discontinued their weekly magazine.

Honestly, the last Anime I watched was F-Zero: Falcon Densetsu (F-Zero: Legend of Captain Falcon) in Japanese with English subtitles a year ago as a little self-assigned homework for Japanese class. I've been trying to find this one movie called "Blue Submarine No. 6" or something like that, though. I saw it on CN's Toonami segment back in the late 90's.

Pascal

i've seen the fist couple of episodes of bleach, too bad that i don't have time to do that anymore
:c

McJobless

Just finished Elfen Lied. Just...wow. It's beyond powerful. Naturally, there were things I didn't like in it, but it is fantastic. It's amazing.

Addictgamer

My sister can fill this topic up with everything. She would even be able to understand all of Niall's references.
Me? I don't watch...anything. Dragonball wasted a whole summer of mine a few years ago. I don't want to repeat that.
  • Xiron thanked this

veld

Lol, i just came back from Animecon '12 in the Netherlands :).
Anyways i have a tiny list of watched and going to:

watched:
Elfen lied - I agree with extreme great anime, nice plot, great design
Mirai Nikki (Future Dairy) - Nice anime; i liked how they cliffhanged you, and you just want to figure out about it
School Days - Got a trauma... (NOT RECOMMENDED)
Popotan - It was a great laugh :P

watching:
Naruto - i just love it.
Zombie no desu (or something like it) - Random chainsaw carrying pink girlclothes wearing zombie guy...

To do:
Death Note.
Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai

Pascal

i think that i'm going to watch highschool dxd and highschool of the dead.

veld

Hope you love scary flashing zombie faces ;P

McJobless

I was talking to my friend at school today. He pretty much disowned me at first for not watching the anime versions of any of the manga I've read. He told me that Elfen Lied anime has bits which are worse than the manga (as in the content, not the quality), but apparently they didn't show
Spoiler

Is that true?

veld

I was talking to my friend at school today. He pretty much disowned me at first for not watching the anime versions of any of the manga I've read. He told me that Elfen Lied anime has bits which are worse than the manga (as in the content, not the quality), but apparently they didn't show
Spoiler

Is that true?

As far as i know not, didn't she left in both series (Anime and Manga)?
Or is there a sequel?

McJobless

Or is there a sequel?

In the manga,
Spoiler

It's much more complex than that, and I haven't included the epilogue, but I don't have the time or memory to write it all down.

Pascal

mike, you must know that i'm not scared of screamers anymore.

veld

mike, you must know that i'm not scared of screamers anymore.

Challange Accepted >:)

Or is there a sequel?

In the manga,
Spoiler

It's much more complex than that, and I haven't included the epilogue, but I don't have the time or memory to write it all down.

What about the begin then? she killed thousands over there and didn't overuse. Still not sure but i didn't read the whole manga ;P

McJobless

What about the begin then? she

Spoiler
. Still not sure but i didn't read the whole manga ;P

It's ok, I'm just checking to confirm what my friend said.

At the start she
Spoiler
eats watermelon.

veld

What about the begin then? she

Spoiler
. Still not sure but i didn't read the whole manga ;P

It's ok, I'm just checking to confirm what my friend said.

At the start she
Spoiler
eats watermelon.

That explains alot, i would have been a thousand times stronger with my watermelon too :D

Spoiler