Play Loco In Custom Resolutions

le717

You all know how LOCO puts up a fit whenever you try to run it in a resolution other than 800x600, 1024x768 or 1280x1024. It's the way the game was designed, and without the source, it will never be fixed. This stops us from running it in, say, 1080p (which would be awesome).

I installed LOCO on the main computer back in March (Goodbye XPM and your single-core CPU!), and the computer has a 1080p monitor. I don't want to have to bump it down to 1280x1024, which is 4:3, to play it. So, I just went and ran the game while having my monitor in different resolutions. And this is what I found:

Anything above 1280x1024, the game will not run. Anything below that (but above 800x600), and it will run. 1280x720, done. 1280x960, easy. 1152x648 (what kind of resolution is that?), it works.

We will still have to change our screen resolution to make LOCO run everytime before we play and change it back (or we can use qRes and a batch file), but at least we will be able to do it a little easier now.

Now we just need to find a game recorder that will record it, or pressure the devs of CamStudio into fixing the 2GB file size limit. :P

Note that this does not work for the LOCO Demo, which must run in the default resolutions no matter what.

Mr. Eight-Three-One

Would it work in 640 x 480? You should be able to record a feasible amount of video without going over 2 GB in that resolution.

Also expiriment with different codecs. I tried XviD, and putting it at 2.00 quality (on a scale of 1 to 31) got me really insane amounts of video without going too large.

There's also Hypercam, which does freak out if you go over 2 GB, but still works. If you think you went over 2 GB though, I'd reccomend waiting some time before you stop recording, because it cuts off after that and then makes an hour of nothing but corruption. Still works if you cut all that off though.

Sage-san The Windragon

Tested with 640x480, It doesn't work due 800x600 required to play Lego loco. :P But I normal used 1280x1024 xD

Tested with 640x480, It doesn't work due 800x600 required to play Lego loco. :(

I could have told you that. :P

EDIT:

Would it work in 640 x 480? You should be able to record a feasible amount of video without going over 2 GB in that resolution.

Also expiriment with different codecs. I tried XviD, and putting it at 2.00 quality (on a scale of 1 to 31) got me really insane amounts of video without going too large.

There's also Hypercam, which does freak out if you go over 2 GB, but still works. If you think you went over 2 GB though, I'd reccomend waiting some time before you stop recording, because it cuts off after that and then makes an hour of nothing but corruption. Still works if you cut all that off though.

I've tried xvid too, and when I had it on max quality, I got worse video that MSVideo1 on 100. Ouch.

I've done Hypercam too, and I hate it. First, there's something with the fact the if you speed up the framerate, the video is 5 seconds and the audio is however long your video is. And I believe it kept installing junkware. That's why I went to CamStudio..

Mr. Eight-Three-One

Well, that sucks. I have it set it perfectly, and I have found it way more reliable than CamStudio. CamStudio gave me constant off-sync issues and would never record the cursor right. If I could get the game and a better computer, I'd probably be able to record it, but I don't see myself getting a better one anytime soon and I have zero desire to get Loco from what I've heard about it.

• 10 months later...

I don't really want to mess with my res to just be able to play. Any way I can run it with 1600x900? Also, would Camtasia Studio be able to record the game?

• 3 weeks later...
Tauka Usanake

LOCO does have the Windowed mode that you use to exit out of the game. Can't you add an option to the end of the shortcut to it to run in a window automatically? Maybe you could also add the resolution but I won't get my hopes up for that.

If all else fails, you could just VM it. That's my answer to it when I get around to installing it.

• 4 weeks later...

This is where having a capture card comes in handy, because you can then bypass the software and record at full speed, whatever resolution you want etc etc. Just need to find one that supports either direct input from your computer or from the the monitor (which can be a TV, and most capture cards support directly recording from the TV).

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.