Lego Racers 2 In Linux

SpyboticsAgent

SpyboticsAgent

To run Lego Racers 2 perfectly in WINE under Linux, simply rename the folder containing LR2's movies (e.g. change "Movies" to "_Movies").

This will resolve the crash that normally occurs upon launch, and allow LR2 to run, albeit without movies (the intro movie, and the movies that show when you enter each world).

My LEGO Racers 2 won't even install on Ubuntu. When I press install from the launcher, it starts preparing the install, but then it says "Not enough memory". Quite weird, i would say, when the game hardly demands any.

But it is good that you have found a way to start it. If I get it installed, I'm sure it will be helpfull. :)

lol username

My LEGO Racers 2 won't even install on Ubuntu. When I press install from the launcher, it starts preparing the install, but then it says "Not enough memory". Quite weird, i would say, when the game hardly demands any.

But it is good that you have found a way to start it. If I get it installed, I'm sure it will be helpfull. :)

The "not enough memory" thing occurs on Windows as well, if I remember right it won't install normally if you have over 1GB of RAM.

The "not enough memory" thing occurs on Windows as well, if I remember right it won't install normally if you have over 1GB of RAM.

Hmm... Nothing to do about in then. Sad, it is a good game.

Correction: it'll throw "not enough memory" if you've got 2GB or more of RAM. This is because they used a 32-bit signed integer to represent the amount of available RAM, which overflows at the 2GB mark.

It overflows at 3GB and change, right? Either way, you can remove some of your RAM temporarily to install LR2. If you don't have a single RAM chip/module less than 3 GB, there are ways to force your computer into using less. I know of a way to do it in Windows but not Linux. You can look at this anyways in case you're dual-booting:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-performance/reduce-ram-from-4-gb-to-2-gb/c2089331-121b-4bc2-bae4-ebfc6263ebe6

Just a thought: if it overflows, shouldn't installing more RAM beat the overflow? As in, if it overflows at three and change and you have four installed (so it thinks you have less than 1GB), install one more so LR2 thinks you have more than one GB. Or would this just not work/cause major errors?

Fluffy Cupcake

Changing the compatability fixes the "not enough memory" problem for me.

This should have been posted in the LR2 section (we have one), not the LR section.

@Cirevam You must not know about the LR1/2 FAQ, do you? It has that same link, plus some more info on how to fix the installer problem. And changing the compatibility mode to XP SP2 let me install it on a computer with 12 GB of RAM. ;)

Edited by Cirevam
I do know about the LR1/2 FAQ, that's where I got the link.

SpyboticsAgent

Why is it a problem? I just run the installer in compatibility mode and it works for me...

Because Compatibility Mode doesn't exist in Linux/WINE.

The WINE development team is working on adding a feature to allow you to specify the amount of memory an app sees as available, but for now it seems that the best way to run the LR2 installer on a system with too much RAM is to remove some prior to installation and put it back afterwards.

I'll have to test this on my secondary OS myself. On my machine it would probably overflow the variable twice-over and then some (as in almost 2 GB "then some"). If it doesn't work I'll do some research and experimentation.

You can set how much memory windows is allowed to use with msconfig. There's a button that says 'Advanced' on one of the tabs. You should be able to figure it out.

You can set how much memory windows is allowed to use with msconfig. There's a button that says 'Advanced' on one of the tabs. You should be able to figure it out.

In Windows, yes, but this thread is about running LR2 in Linux.

In Windows, yes, but this thread is about running LR2 in Linux.

Arghablargh install it on windows and steal the install folder and use it on linux there problem solved. :/

Arghablargh install it on windows and steal the install folder and use it on linux there problem solved. :/

What if someone installed Linux via the Wubi installer without a secondary drive partition, thus making it impossible to transfer files from one OS to the other? Or what if they only had Linux?

The first issue can be solved that way with a flash drive, but the second...

JrMasterModelBuilder

To run Lego Racers 2 perfectly in WINE under Linux, simply rename the folder containing LR2's movies (e.g. change "Movies" to "_Movies").

This will resolve the crash that normally occurs upon launch, and allow LR2 to run, albeit without movies (the intro movie, and the movies that show when you enter each world).

Also a great way to bypass all the intro videos!

Correction: it'll throw "not enough memory" if you've got 2GB or more of RAM. This is because they used a 32-bit signed integer to represent the amount of available RAM, which overflows at the 2GB mark.

On this issue, I though it wouldn't install on 4 gigs of RAM (maybe I'm wrong, I can't remember). For the reason origamiguy said, depending on if it's signed integer or unsigned integer, it would either be at 2GB or 4GB, not 3 and some.

What if someone installed Linux via the Wubi installer without a secondary drive partition, thus making it impossible to transfer files from one OS to the other? Or what if they only had Linux?

The first issue can be solved that way with a flash drive, but the second...

1. /host

2. Well good job. Either take some ram out, or boot with special arguments.

2. Well good job. Either take some ram out, or boot with special arguments.

Which is exactly where the conversation was going in the first place. Still, be careful with the 'mem=' argument. For the purposes of this thread you'll usually be safe, but don't ever exceed the amount of physically installed RAM or the system will eventually go into a kernel panic.

Are you running the gamw with the disc, or are you using a *gasp* no-cd. The last test results for LR2 under Wine aisclly said you have to install it everytime you want to play. Those results are from 2009 though, and they need to be run again. (But alas, I can't do it because I don't have Linux anyhwere. :()

• 9 months later...
Samushighwind

I successfully installed this game but when I start it up (in Windows or Linux) it tells me to insert the disc and then press enter. First, I had it loaded on a virutal disk in Linux, but I obliged and actually stuck the disc in. However, it doesn't respond to my pressing enter, in Linux or Windows. It just keeps showing that box and I have to abort.

Anyone else have successes beyond this/tips for how to fix that?

Samushighwind

Well ok nevermind, I just used a hack to fix the disc problem. But does anyone know a way to make the movies work? I'd like to have them if possible

JrMasterModelBuilder

The disk drive and movie/audio file paths are both stored in the registry. I don't remember the exact path, perhaps someone else does, but you should be able to search it. Emulated drives are supported, what hack did you use?

EDIT: On a side note, this topic should probably be moved to the LR2 forum.

The disk drive and movie/audio file paths are both stored in the registry. I don't remember the exact path, perhaps someone else does, but you should be able to search it.

Certainly somebody else knows it, like me! :P

HKLM\SOFTWARE\LEGO Media\Games\LEGO Racers 2\moviespath
I've got a new release of my LR2 Alternate Installer pending, so it may fix your issues (but I'm unsure how...)
Emulated drives are supported, what hack did you use?
It kinda sounds like a No-CD, since the WINE results (again mentioned below) kinda imply that a No-CD needs to be used to actually play, but an Emulated CD would work as well. The movie files themselves are located at
*CD drive*\install\game data\Music

I really don't know how to make the videos play in Linux. I have a Ubuntu Live CD, but I really don't have the time to play with it, and I have no PC that I can install it on. The LR2 WINE results I linked in a earlier post are exactly the same, hasn't been updated since 2009.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.