• Upgrade Station
    • Geological Center
    • Ore Refinery
    • Mining Laser
    • Super teleport
    • I do not Know and do not care
    • ?????????
    • ALL of them

as exactly what this topic says which one do you think is the most useless for me it,s the mining laser because it can not move it has a horrible recharge time and dos not mine effectively at all have fun.

Teleport Pad, followed very closely by the Mining Laser. My playstyle usually only has me bring down a bunch of raiders and the biggest drilling machine I can get at the time, usually the Chrome Crusher. I've never really had a use for it, and it only makes levels where you have oxygen depletion much more annoying by being a prerequisite for all other buildings.

The mining laser is almost useless, but at least it can double as a player-controlled defense turret (which I suspect is the real purpose for it). Electric fences are better, though.

In my modded version of the game (which will eventually become an overhaul), I nerfed the cost of mining lasers and made them buildable at the start, and removed the teleport pad from the building and large vehicle prerequisites with the exception of the upgrade station and docks.

The mining laser. It's just stupid.

Though I don't agree, because my game has made it actually useful, while the Ore Refinery is now dead for various reasons.

The Brigadier

It's the Docks for me, as the Rapid Rider is completely replaced by the Tunnel Scout. I do not know of a level that requires the Cargo Carrier, apart from Run the Gauntlet, and even then it can be replaced by the Tunnel Transport.

It's just a pointless building in the end. Nothing useful can be teleported down with it, and it's just a waste of a crystal. >_>

At least the Mining Laser can be used to kill Slugs. :af:

The Ore Refinery can be useful when you need a lot of Ore, like in Baz's Mod when you need to upgrade a lot of vehicles.

It's the Docks for me, as the Rapid Rider is completely replaced by the Tunnel Scout. I do not know of a level that requires the Cargo Carrier, apart from Run the Gauntlet, and even then it can be replaced by the Tunnel Transport.

It's just a pointless building in the end. Nothing useful can be teleported down with it, and it's just a waste of a crystal. >_>

I agree but maybe we could make it useful hmm.

The Brigadier

The only way we could do that is by adding a new vehicle, or applying a new function to it. :/

The only way we could do that is by adding a new vehicle, or applying a new function to it. :/

And what is so hard about this?

And what is so hard about this?

Thinking of a good vehicle. :P

Although, Cirevam's Assualt Cruiser is a good example.

yeah i will add that to my modded game just for me :D i give him a lot of

credit for making it :)

for making it

The Geological Center is the most useless building because geoscanning in general is useless. Unless you're looking for the shortcut in Don't Panic!, you're going to find every cavern anyways. And since you can't know what's in a hidden cavern, e.g. a hidden cavern full of eroding lava is displayed the same as a hidden cavern full of crystals, there's no point in scanning it. Just drill it and deal with the consequences.

And you guys do know the Assault Cruiser doesn't carry vehicles anymore, right? It's just an amphibious laser cutter. If it could carry vehicles without wanting to dump them into a Tool Store it would be incredibly useful... even though the problem lies in my tool stores.

I was going to say Ore Refinery. Then I saw this:

The Geological Center is the most useless building because geoscanning in general is useless. Unless you're looking for the shortcut in Don't Panic!, you're going to find every cavern anyways. And since you can't know what's in a hidden cavern, e.g. a hidden cavern full of eroding lava is displayed the same as a hidden cavern full of crystals, there's no point in scanning it. Just drill it and deal with the consequences.

And I completely agree.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Sorry, I thougt we should vote for me most useful... ;)

The most useless are the docks.

I don't like it.

Don't know why... :D

You can just teleport 2 boats with the docks which aren't so useful in my opinion.

And there aren't so much water levels where you could need them.

• 4 months later...

I'm thinking between the docks, Geological center and the mining laser.

The docks... Well, for not playing any big role.

The geo center. Same as the above.

The mining laser. It drains energy crystals, and I haven't found a map where it can defend AND you can recharge those (so you don't break your objective).

So...

Well...

I go for the docks too, actually. ^^'

Why are so many disliking the mining laser?

OK, in the "normal" game you won't need it, but in some Mods (Baz's Mod) it can be very useful, because the laser beam just does 4 damage and it does 100, I think.

You need it when theres a big map an all your units are away from the HQ and a monster appears in the near (and this can happen in the original game, too)

Mining laser platform because WITHOUT mods, back when the game was released, They didn't help at all. The first time I used one to blast a wall of DIRT, it took forever and drained my crystals. It is significantly underpowered, it's only good use is fending off monsters, and you could just place an electric fence around your base (if possible) and not have to worry about monsters. Therefore the Mining laser (unmodded) is the most useless. Modded lasers are obviously very helpful.

• 1 month later...

I think I voted already, but after playing the game a bit, I feel a need to change it. Was playing yesterday and built an Ore Refinery (Lv3), and tried building stuff after that. Well, yeah Ore that is extra in the loading bay is returned to the Tool Store, but when you have already gotten all Ore in the cavern, only enough Ore spawns at the Tool Store to make the necessary Building Studs. So, if trucks put too many in the Refinery, that Ore doesn't respawn at the Store, which actually hurts you in being able to build anything.

Also, the default Ore Refinery takes 5 Ore to build a Stud, and 1 Stud is used to make a Power Path. Which means, now you spend 5 Ore to make a Power Path, plus extra time. And, Studs can only be carried by RR, not vehicles.

• 2 weeks later...

That is why I am replacing building studs and the ore refinery with something else.

What you should do is just replace it with 3 tiles of nothing, so nobody can walk over those 3 tiles or put power-path on them. Even that would be more useful than the Ore Refinery.

Mining laser, hands down, most useless building ever. Although the illogical centre and the ore refinery are tied for close second. If I were a Rock Raider, I would not risk my life to gather materials for a mining laser. Not worth it. It's impractical for doing anything with. You would hope that something with MINING in its name would be able to live up to its name. Nope. OOB, lasers altogether are impractical for any use because of how little they do for the amount of energy crystals they consume, in a game that's all about energy crystals. Mining with them is not even worthwhile; however using them for defense is marginally acceptable only if you’re doing a mission like Frozen Frenzy where you have easy access to a recharge seam. But really, if you can afford to construct a mining laser, you can certainly place electric fences, which are a much more economical alternative. You’d be better off bringing down a Chrome Crusher IMO. With a 4:1 ratio and the added benefit of being able to move, scan, and also drill better than anything else available to you, why waste your time and your crew’s lives on a mining laser? The only thing that saves the geological centre is the fact that you can train Rock Raiders as geologists there, adding another achievement badge to their repertoire. Much like having a paper weight on your desk. It might look cool and you can brag to other people that you have one, but it doesn’t do a whole lot else. So case in point, they all suck. I wish there were checkboxes instead of radio buttions so I could pick all three.

What you should do is just replace it with 3 tiles of nothing, so nobody can walk over those 3 tiles or put power-path on them. Even that would be more useful than the Ore Refinery.

Or, do it RCT style and make a washroom/bench/garbage can lot. Then you can train one of your Rock Raiders as a janitor to keep it clean.

O.T.

Also, hi Lair. o/

• 2 months later...
Failing@Failing

Probably the Mining Laser, followed by the geological center. The Mining laser is completely useless since it takes so long to actually mine something and requires constant movement. Its use for defense is out of the question too, since a Rock Raider with any weapon can be much more effective and cheaper.

The Geological center is gotten once, to train raiders. After that, it's useless. I only ever build it again out of boredom. 

• 6 months later...

The mining laser is utter useless, EXCEPT, for decorating your base entrances.  After making a mega base, a mining laser suits well for an entry point or a wall of lasers I made on Rocky Horror.

• 5 months later...

i voted geo but will have to change that to mining laser, yes it is at least good for base defense but i usually have a LMLC at my base so can use that instead

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.