Pirate Skull Pass Shortcut Revealed!

LegoEssence

I finally found it, after seeing some screenshots and hearing rumors I decided to search for it myself. The video shows where it was and how I found it.

Your opinions?

Also, I'm new here. :)

That's pretty cool. You should have just posted this in the other topic though.

Thought it was thread worthy haha. I did mention it in said thread though. :o

Excellent video! and great find. When origamiguy is done with the track viewer we may be able to see other old shortcuts that may have existed once.

Sadie Meowsalot

I don't see who you are calling a twit you twit.

Lost shortcut in Pirate Skull Pass?

Obviously you, by the name I gave.

And this video isn't deserving of a topic? I think it is.

It is still a topic so I am technically right.

Nevermind what I wrote prior. I see now that you were referring to a topic started by jamesster concerning the same thing this topic does. Nevertheless, I'm still in agreement with Lair, in that this discovery is deserving of a topic.

Thanks for the comments. If I find some time again, I will see of there are others, as I suspect these aren't the only tracks.

Wow, great job! I really enjoy seeing where shortcuts have been edited out. A tunnel underneath those ramps suddenly seems like such a cool idea...

Wow, really awesome find! Makes me want to search through the LR1 tracks again for bricks, if I missed these so easily I'm sure I could have easily missed others too. :P I'll get on LR1 later today and try the glitching out for myself, it looks quite fun. Again, great find!

Wow, really awesome find! Makes me want to search through the LR1 tracks again for bricks, if I missed these so easily I'm sure I could have easily missed others too. :P I'll get on LR1 later today and try the glitching out for myself, it looks quite fun. Again, great find!

Yeah, after finding this I am trying again too. :) Still think there's more as I recall seeing a developer talking about multiple cut out shortcuts. We only know 2 as of now.

I guess Knightmare-athon and Pirate Skull Pass stand out as the only two tracks with no real shortcuts - It'll be interesting to look at the other tracks and see what can be found.

Fluffy Cupcake

You know.. I noticed that the two tracks with the shortcuts removed were the ones I found the hardest when I was younger.

If we look at this stretch of track in my viewer, we can see that the powerups are the only remaining evidence that the shortcut existed. No geometry or checkpoints are present. Given that checkpoints are still present for one of the knightmare-athon shortcuts, I will assume this was removed earlier in development.

Wireframe view:

2012_01_23_22_17_18.png

Solid view:

2012_01_23_22_17_15.png

That viewer looks really good. How far into it are you? Also, I think I found the entrance point to what was the shortcut.

Look at the weird blocky and darker texture in the rock.

1yxq8.jpgkey995e0758a91d8fca3d13b0ffc63a

I've outlined it now. I'm guessing this must've been where the shortcut started.

2e185ug.jpgkey521bdc7bb1bc2cc9f07a4928b1

Hm... The texture does certainly look odd, much like how the patched-up shortcuts in Knightmare-Athon have weird textures...

legoracersn6412.jpg

Hard to see clearly in the beta screen. Though that tree seems like it would had have made entering hard, plus that sort of slope leading to the place where the tunnel would have been... Not sure. Seems possible. Certainly not as strange as the first Knightmare-Athon shortcut above the castle though.

its probably just a texture fail, i see that much ... i wish the beta of lr1 was public becouse it looks more fun than the one we have now

I think you are right on with that texture mess-up, both of you. That seems to be the same area. As Jamesster said, the Knightmare-Athon is also weird like that. The area behind the castle is always laggy for me. Add that to the texture there being completely messed up, the shortcut had to have been there. I'm not sure if the same thing happens on this track for me, but I'm going to go load LR1 right now (Thanks Flash Drive!), and see if I can catch anything about this shortcut from these pictures.

I'm-a back! And I've got pics! Here is the folder to them all.

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=495387

I think those are good proof that the shortcut ran like you say, but I've been looking into it a little more via the GDB viewer, and now I'm not sure about it. I'll be getting video of the track soon, and I'll let you know when it's up. ;)

Perhaps we can get origamiguy to run this track through his viewer and show us the results. That would help even more! :D

• 4 weeks later...

JMMB is right there is some geometry there.

Is there any way you can bring the shortcuts back by modding?

That would solve our problems indefinitly. :B

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.