Photo

What Is Better Power Miners Or Rock Raiders ?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

Poll: What Is Better Power Miners Or Rock Raiders ? (53 member(s) have cast votes)

What is better

1. Power Miners (1 votes [1.89%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.89%

2. Rock Raiders (24 votes [45.28%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 45.28%

3. Rock Raiders duh power miners suck (5 votes [9.43%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.43%

4. Do not care (1 votes [1.89%] - View)

5. Power miners duh rock raiders suck (1 votes [1.89%] - View)

6. i like both of them (13 votes [24.53%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 24.53%

7. Power Miners is crap Rock raiders rock (7 votes [13.21%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.21%

8. there both crap (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

9. ???? What (1 votes [1.89%] - View)

Vote Guests cannot vote

Lair

Lair

Elite Member

• Crystal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,626 posts

I remember back before we had 100 members we used to do this poll.

Yeah, fun times. We actually had a pretty good discussion of the good and bad differences between the two themes in that topic. Much different than the criticism in Fun's revival here.

• McStudz thanked this

The Ace Railgun

Ok seriously I agree with Mcjobless here don't infect us with idiocy although it'll probably just speared faster now that I posted this but still this is the same as a brony anti-brony war only with less bloodshed and more plastic shed(s)...

Lair

Lair

Elite Member

• Crystal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,626 posts

Ok seriously I agree with Mcjobless here don't infect us with idiocy although it'll probably just speared faster now that I posted this but still this is the same as a brony anti-brony war only with less bloodshed and more plastic shed(s)...

This was over a year ago. Fun isn't active much anymore, and when he is he just posts maps or status updates. And it's not like that exactly, because previous topics have shown we can have a good discussion about this subject. The rage here is because we've already had that discussion, and because the topic is extremely poorly made.

• jamesster thanked this

The Ace Railgun

Yeah I did note the date before I posted but I just wanted to voice my thoughts on the topic :P

Ben24x7

Add 'CITY Mining' to the votes.

Lair

Lair

Elite Member

• Crystal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,626 posts

Why?
I might as well ask whether Pirates is better than Life on Mars.

PeabodySam

PeabodySam

The Poor Man's jamesster

• Silver Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Ah, yes.  This poll.  Coming from a forum where polls are completely anonymous, I did not hesitate to choose a silly answer that was an obvious exaggeration of my true feelings.  However, I see things are a little... different here, and you can see who voted what.  Now, everyone can see that I voted "Rock Raiders, duh, Power Miners suck", which is a laughably immature answer that I chose only because I thought it was silly and I would be anonymous.  Since I'm not anonymous, I do feel it is necessary to explain that my true feelings towards Power Miners aren't so immature.

Instead, I feel that, design-wise, the Power Miners sets are much better than Rock Raiders.  Yes, I prefer the sci-fi futuristic style of Rock Raiders, but as a LEGO fan, I cannot ignore the fact that Rock Raiders sets consist primarily of big, chunky, specialized pieces that do not leave much room for a truly engaging building experience... in other words, Rock Raiders is "juniorized".  Power Miners, on the other hand, was released ten years later, and it definitely shows.  Compare the build of, say, the Chrome Crusher to the Thunder Driller; the Chrome Crusher is basically cockpit, rollcage, drill, laser, four wheels, and some other bricks slapped on a chassis, whereas the Thunder Driller uses much more versatile LEGO elements and even includes gear functions.  While, again, I prefer the color scheme of Rock Raiders, Power Miners uses its colors in a much more streamlined fashion while Rock Raiders seemed to almost haphazardly throw in tons of different colors.  Power Miners has other things I like as well.  Multiple sizes of Rock Monsters (ranging from Rock Goblins to Crystal Kings), Lava Monsters, Energy Crystals of all colors... things that would appeal to a Rock Raiders fan such as myself.

But, at the end of the day, I still prefer Rock Raiders.  As mentioned before, I enjoy the more futuristic designs of Rock Raiders vehicles, and the grey and teal color scheme looks much cooler in my opinion than the lime and orange color scheme of Power Miners.  I also find that the characters in Power Miners are far less memorable than those of Rock Raiders; while they were given bios on the official website, they always seemed generic and interchangeable in comics and other media.  The goofy depiction of the Rock Goblins (toilet humor and all) did not appeal to me, and while their concept art looks awesome (seriously, that concept art resembles the mental image I had when first hearing that Power Miners Rock Monsters would be a blend of rock and crystal), there was something about the physical appearances of Rock Trolls in the final products that made them look just plain odd to me.  Personally, I also prefer the Rock Raiders storyline over that of the Power Miners; while "stopping Rock Monsters from creating earthquakes and destroying the planet" should have been engaging, I think the combination of unmemorable characters and goofy antagonists made it hard to feel like there was anything to invest yourself in.  And, of course, there's the Rock Raiders PC game, the very game that this forum is founded on, and Power Miners had no contender with that.

So, at the end of the day, even though I acknowledge that Power Miners has far superior set designs and is a decent theme in its own right, I'll still personally prefer Rock Raiders.  However, Power Miners does not "suck", and if you prefer Power Miners, I'm happy for you.  Much of the above paragraph, after all, is based upon my mere opinions rather than actual hard facts.  It's just my opinion, and my opinion is that Rock Raiders is better than Power Miners.

• Lair, jamesster, McStudz and 1 other thanked this

Ben24x7

Why?
I might as well ask whether Pirates is better than Life on Mars.

Well, CITY Mining is mining, it is almost related to Power Miners (except for the Rock Monsters and that all Energy Crystals are made from Gold).

Rock Monster

Rock Monster

Classic LEGO Fan

• Bronze Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

I love both, but I prefer LEGO Power Miners. 

McJobless

I love both, but I prefer LEGO Power Miners.

Rock Monster. I'm going to assume you're both young and new, so I'll try and be a bit gentle with this.

For whatever reason, you keep going through the very, very old topics (some are more than 3 years old, this one is one year old) that have been completely shut down, and you manage to bump these for reasons unknown to me or anybody else, with very little content.

At RRU, we frown upon bumping without some kind of important purpose. For example, you might bump a topic for a mod if you add some progress to it later down the track. Bumping all of the topics with "Power Miners" in it is not an important purpose. Really, you should have started a new topic to show your opinion, and then given us points for and against why you think Power Miners is better.

I don't care if you like Power Miners or Rock Raiders more. I just don't want old topics that have been forgotten to suddenly be bumped, pushing back new, active topics with discussion that might be slightly more important.

In future, please look at the time and date of the last post, and if it's more than a few weeks, unless you have something REALLY important to say, leave the topic without posting.
  • Retsnom Kcor, McStudz, Alcom1 and 8 others thanked this

Xiron

I like Rock Raiders. Okay, yeah. I don't need to jokingly encourage it. Sorry. CLASS DISMISSED.

PlatonicWaffles

PlatonicWaffles

Connoisseuse of All Things Sweet and Sugary

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Rock Raiders, naturellement. Power Miners, to me, just looked the younger sibling trying to impress mummy by trying to copy their older siblings. It looked like a cheap reboot to me. None of the sets really stood out in my mind unlike the Rock Raiders stuff, personally.

It's not bad by any means, just not as good in my eyes.

Cyrem

Cyrem

Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,949 posts

Rock Raiders, naturellement. Power Miners, to me, just looked the younger sibling trying to impress mummy by trying to copy their older siblings. It looked like a cheap reboot to me. None of the sets really stood out in my mind unlike the Rock Raiders stuff, personally.

It's not bad by any means, just not as good in my eyes.

Just take for example, the Rock Monsters in PM.... comedy characters.

• PlatonicWaffles thanked this

raysfan00

raysfan00

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Rock Raiders I would say is better lol.