LEGO Racers Custom Audio

le717

Leumeister

I did all the steps, but my music sounds distorted and it fades in and out sometimes. And does compressor always make the beginning fade in slightly?

• 1 year later...

My music sounds VERY low volume in game. I actually turned up the volume of my speakers a whole bunch. (the sound of the buttons made my speakers almost blow up :S )

I don't know what to do, I followed the tutorial perfectly. I don't know what the problem is.

My music sounds VERY low volume in game. I actually turned up the volume of my speakers a whole bunch. (the sound of the buttons made my speakers almost blow up :S )

I don't know what to do, I followed the tutorial perfectly. I don't know what the problem is.

Now you need to Amplify the track a bit. Effect>Amplify. I try to amplify it until it is clipping a little bit.

I know the tutorial says 'a bit', but I found I sometimes have to do it a LOT, how much did you amplify your sound?

I made it work, kinda.

I amplified by 9. It sounded very quiet at first, but then it became very, VERY loud, then quiet again. How is this possible? I tried compressing more, but the problem stayed. If someone has an idea about how this works, please tell me. I need custom music for my Minecraft Mod!

-KevinVG

I guess I need to chime in here and repeat myself (again).

Custom music is one of the most difficult mods to make. I have it labeled as intermediate, but I should change it to expert, as it is a very hard thing to do. The game uses a modified form of VOX audio, changes which are unknown. Therefore, it is very difficult to create even-volumed music and SFX. This one tutorial has had three different revisions, each one closer to perfection than the last, but even the current one has issues. Xiron, rioforce, myself, and others have worked very hard at figuring out perfect custom audio with this imperfect knowledge, and all we have found so far are general guidelines, and exact volume leveling, audio normalization, equalizing, and amplification, are purely a per-song trial-and-error basis. If we could figure out what format changes were made, believe me if I could and had the the programming know how to do such, I'd write something to made those changes to an exported VOX (or if possible, tap into SoX directly and export and edit in one go).

Sorry about that. :(

I guess I need to chime in here and repeat myself (again).

Custom music is one of the most difficult mods to make. I have it labeled as intermediate, but I should change it to expert, as it is a very hard thing to do. The game uses a modified form of VOX audio, changes which are unknown. Therefore, it is very difficult to create even-volumed music and SFX. This one tutorial has had three different revisions, each one closer to perfection than the last, but even the current one has issues. Xiron, rioforce, myself, and others have worked very hard at figuring out perfect custom audio with this imperfect knowledge, and all we have found so far are general guidelines, and exact volume leveling, audio normalization, equalizing, and amplification, are purely a per-song trial-and-error basis. If we could figure out what format changes were made, believe me if I could and had the the programming know how to do such, I'd write something to made those changes to an exported VOX (or if possible, tap into SoX directly and export and edit in one go).

Sorry about that. :(

I understand. I appreciate all the work that's being put into this. As I also don't really know the programming to do this, I understand that this is a big thing.

For the time being, I will just focus on textures. Thanks for the info.

-KevinVG

• 2 weeks later...

(MORE MORE MORE POSTS)

I've found a new trick to make the music in LR sound better! :D

Here's a tutorial:

http://youtu.be/W5eRUfRkn_Y

In short, you want to compress based on peaks, keep doing it until it clips/is loud enough!

• Like 2

It's really funny that it ain't working for me... It' still quiet, much slower (also lower in pitch). If you'd like to hear the results I get, let me know.

(Make sure you read the whole tutorial in the main post)

The lower in pitch issue is because you did not resample with 22050hz. Go to tracks, resample. And yes, if you want, you can send me your audio file.

I read the tutorial a dozen times, if you like. And I did resample, on several ways: by using the resampling function on the left in the drop down menu and by using the resampling function in the tab "tracks". When I do it the first way, the song itself gets slower than the standard version - when I use the other resampling option the speed and pitch stay the same as the original. I'll make a video to show the results and what I do...

Okay, it's working now. I thought that the two resampling steps were like either ... or and not like ... and .... Now it's working fine, thanks again :)

• 2 months later...

Hi, I'm new here, and I noticed a few things about the audio files through experimenting with them.  I'm not much of a computer expert, but I do know about audio files (since I myself am an audiophile).

I noticed that, while VOX files are unable support more than one channel, the TUN files are, in fact, stereo.  I wonder if that might have something to do with the fact that it clips terribly when we try to import it into audacity, like Audacity is trying to render both channels as one channel.  That would be consistent with the amount of clipping when importing into Audacity, as it seems to be twice as loud as it should be.  

With all of that said, I working on creating piano arrangements of (hopefully) all of the music in Lego Racers, and I was wondering what the highest-quality playable copy of the audio is.  It would be helpful to see the MIDI from the PS1 version, but since I am a music major, creating the arrangements from the recordings is a great ear-training exercise.  

I don't know if any of this is helpful, but hopefully some of you would be interested in having sheet music for the music from LR!

I noticed that, while VOX files are unable support more than one channel, the TUN files are, in fact, stereo.  I wonder if that might have something to do with the fact that it clips terribly when we try to import it into audacity, like Audacity is trying to render both channels as one channel.  That would be consistent with the amount of clipping when importing into Audacity, as it seems to be twice as loud as it should be.

We knew the format is customised in some way, but we don't know for sure how.

With all of that said, I working on creating piano arrangements of (hopefully) all of the music in Lego Racers, and I was wondering what the highest-quality playable copy of the audio is.

This is probably the highest quality rip you can get: >CLICK HERE! These are from the PS1 version.

It would be helpful to see the MIDI from the PS1 version, but since I am a music major, creating the arrangements from the recordings is a great ear-training exercise.

LR PS1 has pre-recorded music. The N64 version, however, uses instrument samples. It's probably not stored as MIDI though, as N64 Midi Tool doesn't work on the ROM.

My link isn't for recorded audio. It's a direct file conversion.

grappigegovert

the TUN files are, in fact, stereo

This sparked my interest.

I began looking at the original method with SoX, and after some trying, I got it to work.

It turns out that the format is IMA ADPCM, instead of VOX, and has a sample rate of 22050hz, with 2 channels.

The two channels are merged into one file by using one byte from the left channel, and then one byte from the right channel, and so on.

Here is how to make proper tun files:

1) Create two separate ima files with SoX using the commands:

sox input.mp3 -r 22050 channel1.ima remix 1
sox input.mp3 -r 22050 channel2.ima remix 2

(input.mp3 is the input file, -r 22050 specifies the sample rate, remix 1/2 is to select 1 channel at a time)

2) Merge the two ima files

I made a small command line tool to do this: http://oresome.rockraidersunited.com/download/186

Use it like this:

ima2tun channel1.ima channel2.ima output.tun

This creates a file output.tun from the two channels. (it also adds the header needed for a tun file)

3) Profit!

ima2tun can also be used the other way around (to convert a tun file to two (headerless) ima files) with:

ima2tun input.tun channel1.ima channel2.ima

@grappigegovert

Do you think it will work if you use Audacity to export as IMA ADPCM with a WAV (Microsoft) header? (After splitting the channels of course...)

I'm assuming that using "Export Multiple" would be the easiest way to export each channel.

grappigegovert

The tool I made expects headerless ima files, so that won't work.
But with the method I described, you don't need audacity at all.
The header of a tun file is not a regular header, so I think you can't add that with audacity.
You could also use a single channel IMA ADPCM file with 22050hz without a header. When there is no header, the game assumes it has only one channel.

Fluffy Cupcake

Tell me, does 44100hz work? Ever other time I've tried where someone says 22050 is the only working hz, the double of it, 44100, usually worked too.

grappigegovert

@Xiron
Unfortunately, 44khz won't work. A 44khz file plays at half speed as described in the OP.
I tried to edit the header but I think the only thing the header contains is the amount of channels (either 1 or 2) and the data start offset (which is always just the end of the header).
It looks like the sample rate is hardcoded :(.

• 3 years later...

I've been looking at this for quite some time...but how could i convert the audio files into a playable audio file WAV? i don't do much on this game since a lot of the files won't open on my laptop

• 4 years later...
On 10/5/2011 at 7:42 PM, Oboe Shoes said:

This is great.... Also There are files that list the .tun files that each track uses... I wonder if it's possible to add to those files. Then you won't need to overwrite any of the originals.

@Oboe Shoes Hi, sorry, what are those files you mention?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.