LEGO Racers Custom Audio

le717

We prefer that you don't double post since there's an edit button at the bottom of every post you make. Please use that unless the last post was made at least several days ago.

We prefer that you don't double post since there's an edit button at the bottom of every post you make. Please use that unless the last post was made at least several days ago.

OK! Thanks! You might want to add that to the rules. I couldn't find any thing about double posting there, so that is why I asked.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
Noob Slayer

When I try to export as VOX ADPCM, audacity says "Cannot export this file type" can someone help please?

When I try to export as VOX ADPCM, audacity says "Cannot export this file type" can someone help please?

Have you followed step 4?

4. If your music is Stereo, select all the audio again and go to Tracks>Stereo Track to Mono and let that work. This step is necessary because VOX cannot support stereo audio, only Mono audio.
  • Like 1

Noob Slayer

I did now. Thanks for the heads up. I probably would have noticed myself but I was a little busy ripping my hair out... :af:

• 4 weeks later...

Is there any way to get a mp3 file(or other format that can be read with vlc or wmp) from the original .tun files without the statics ?

Is there any way to get a mp3 file(or other format that can be read with vlc or wmp) from the original .tun files without the statics ?

Record it in-game.

Record it in-game.

Lair is correct. Until I or someone else figure out how to correctly import/export the TUN files, you will have to record it in-game.

I don't know if I have said this yet, but thr TUN files are modified VOX files. You know how LR loads normal BMP files while it's own BMPs are custom? This is the same thing. We can insert normal VOX files and make it play, but until we know the exact custom format used, we will have to record it in-game to get perfect audio.

Record it in-game.

I downloaded the LR soundtrack playlist on youtube...

What I don't understand is why Lego didn't continue to place the music inside .tun files(I think that their purpose was to prevent us from taking the music)and so in the actual Lego games,there is music folder,where you can take the music (or extract it from the .dat files) !

By the way,in the .jam files,there is only "Lego.form" (and millions of .txt files)...

What I don't understand is why Lego didn't continue to place the music inside .tun files

Because LEGO never put any music inside .tun files. High Voltage did. Racers was the only game they made for LEGO, which is why it's the only game with that music format.

• 5 weeks later...

I cant find actually how to export a music file or voice to Mp3. Am I overlooking this? Since I only see how you could replace existing voices and/or songs.

I cant find actually how to export a music file or voice to Mp3. Am I overlooking this? Since I only see how you could replace existing voices and/or songs.

I repeat what I said only a few posts ago

Record it in-game.

Because replace them is all you can do. Same with the .BMP files.

• 3 months later...

I tried importing one of the songs into audacity. It didn't sound like static, it sounded like a 74RPM vinyl being played at the typical idle speed of a Toyota MR2's engine - severely sped up.

I'll try importing them at different rates. I have a feeling that this may be simpler than we think.

EDIT: I'm getting static. Maybe I'll try some different settings...

EDIT 2: Success with VOX ADPCM using Big Endien and 44100 Hz. Sound is somewhat distorted due to the music having been amplified for the game, but I'm not getting any white-noise in the track.

When I amplify the music, it gets louder ingame but it sounds also very rough (distorted). When I don't make it, it's too quiet, how can you do the sound clearly and loud? :0

Fluffy Cupcake

Okay, I dunno what da heck I'm doing wrong. I can just faintly hear the custom music, and it is very loud. If I put it louder (which makes it disorted), it then will fade out and in. (all this is in game of course.) And if it helps the track I'm doing this for is IGP.

I'm having issues, too - although the file converts and runs fine in the game, Audacity won't allow me to amplify it in the slightest (the 'OK' button disappears). Is there a preference button somewhere that causes it to try and stop music from becoming too loud?

Fluffy Cupcake

Check "allow clipping", though you may get disortedness. Alternatively where the audio track is, on the left side where there is a -||||||||||+, play around with the slider there.

I'm signed up for the Audacity release emails, and I got this email for the new version:

Audacity 2.0.3 now uses the libsoxr resampling library by default, instead of libresample, for higher quality and speed. Time Tracks have been improved and bug fixed, and new effects include an accessible Adjustable Fade. See the 2.0.3 Release Notes for details.

libsoxr is also known as SoX, the command-line app I used in V1 of this tutorial. I actually had no idea they used libresample. This might make audio modding better (or worse).

When I amplify the music, it gets louder ingame but it sounds also very rough (distorted). When I don't make it, it's too quiet, how can you do the sound clearly and loud? :0

Quote the tutorial:

5. Select all the audio again, and go to Effect> Amplify, and turn up the volume a little bit. This is important because LR1 lowers the volume in-game. This explains why the raw audio is distorted but it sounds perfect in-game. The volume will vary with each piece of audio, so a little trial-and-error is involved here.

10. Load LEGO Racers. If you did everything correctly, you should hear your new audio in-game! Just remember that, not only does it lower the volume, the SFX also interferes with the volume.

The SFX sadly turns down the custom music. It seems to be due the fact the TUNs are actually modified (not pure) VOX files (I've said that before). I've tested adding custom SFX and music (blog post), but even that did not solve the problem. I need to look into it again though (see first part).

Okay, I dunno what da heck I'm doing wrong. I can just faintly hear the custom music, and it is very loud. If I put it louder (which makes it disorted), it then will fade out and in. (all this is in game of course.)

See above.

@JimbobJeffers No idea. It could be part of the swap to SoX (you are using Audacity 2.0.3, right?)

@JimbobJeffers No idea. It could be part of the swap to SoX (you are using Audacity 2.0.3, right?)

I had the latest version a couple of months back, but didn't realise there was an update and have just downloaded 2.0.3 - I'll try it out  :)

Check "allow clipping", though you may get disortedness. Alternatively where the audio track is, on the left side where there is a -||||||||||+, play around with the slider there.

Thanks, if the above method doesn't work I'll see if this does it.

Fluffy Cupcake

The SFX sadly turns down the custom music. It seems to be due the fact the TUNs are actually modified (not pure) VOX files (I've said that before).

Soooo... someone will/might have to make a converter then for it to work properly?

The SFX sadly turns down the custom music. It seems to be due the fact the TUNs are actually modified (not pure) VOX files (I've said that before).

Soooo... someone will/might have to make a converter then for it to work properly?

I wish. The only differences that I currently know is that true VOX has no text at the file header, while TUNs have ALP ADPCM. Don't bother looking that up, you'll find nothing but RRU. :P I need to compare them more, but I'm not sure how...

• 3 weeks later...

Time to be bothered about remixing and remaking some of the tracks from the game.

I'll probably start with knightmare-athon and make it sound more dark and evil. :af:

• 2 months later...

Breaking News!(maybe...)

I've completely rewrote this tutorial. Actually, rioforce rewrote it, and I rewrote it here.. uh, let me explain.

You guys all know how I came along and based by research on bartvbl's research into the TUNs, and how after various revisions and researches it was discovered that the TUNs are custom, modified VOX files. And because of this format, we were unable to get good sounding audio in-game.

Well, all that has changed.

No, the custom TUN has not be broken. It is still a mystery. However, a new method for beating normal VOX files in submission making custom music has been developed, and this one, despite having a trivial amount of trial-and-error, actually works, with no inference with sound effects!

You all also know how my brother rioforce is involved in almost all my work, and I mostly in his. So he knows about this stuff too, and what is trying to or is being done. He, too, wants to have custom audio in Racers (it is his favorite LEGO game, after all), and he has taken the research by myself and bart, added his own, and has rewritten the book on LEGO Racers Audio Modding.

Yes, some principles stay the same. You still have to use 22050 Hz audio (via re-sampling if it is not already), you still have use mono audio (VOX does not and never will support stereo), and it still might take two tries to get it perfect, but this tutorial, which still uses Audacity, works every time, with any kind of music.

The topic post has been updated with the new tutorial, a proof video of this new method, and an updated history section (mainly just a past-tense write, but rio's stuff has been added at the bottom).

Let the working LEGO Racers Audio Mods commence! :D

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.