1:1 scale L.M.S. Explorer (+ldraw/studio 2.0 file downloads) - 2021-10-21: "Oh hey, this thread is 10 years old and still going!"

Arthuriel

@Extreme: I have uploaded some pictures in the gallery from a creation I finished some days ago. Maybe it looks a bit weird, but the biggest problem is the limited number of pieces I have.

Other projects? Hmm, I don´t know. The most important factors are a good idea and enough bricks to build it :lol:

Those are always important factors.

I would send you more pieces, but I don't have enough myself to send out. Too bad I'm poor... ;P

Retsnom Kcor

773.44 * 32 / 100 = 247.5008m That is how long the Explorer is, assuming true L scale (~1/32).

{Other stuffs}

The Explorer is quite a large vessel.

Indeed. 22 meters shorter than the Titanic.

When one assumes that a Minifigure is average in height, it works out to be close to a common scale: 1/32.

Um...

Remember that LEGO people are shorter and squattier than humans. A stud would probably still be near a foot.

Seriously, TMLC. Listen.

Retsnom Kcor

A minifigure is roughly five studs tall. IF a minifigure is about average human height, then (for the sake of easy maths) let's say that they would be around five feet in height, which would make 1 stud = 1 foot. IF they are less than that, say about four feet, then that would make a stud about 0.8 feet.

Considering licensed themes, and the fact that minifigures are made to represent people, I'm leaning more toward the "1 stud = 1 foot" thing.

Licensed themes have nothing to do with it. In works where there are humans alongside minifigs, I've generally seen minifigs as shorter and squattier, so that in base size they're similar to people but in height they're shorter.

1298725929m_DISPLAY.jpg

Here's a picture someone made for referance. Ignore the TARDIS interior, that was the subject of the MOC. I'm pointing to the minifig down at the bottom. They tend to look like that in magazines. However, at the same time they're sometimes NOT that short. Honestly, there's no defined size for them, and the problem with the TARDIS shown is that despite minifigs being squattier, the models in sets are still close(r) to human proportions than minifig (ignoring the one-seater vehicles).

Read everything in there.

Or tl;dr there's no real standard for stud-to-foot/meter translation.

IF

This

Also I tried to say close(r) but it became close® what the frost

Average human height isn't 5 feet. For males it's about 5'8", and for females it's about 5'4". Even with minifigs being shorter than humans, I don't see a problem with them being 5 feet tall or a little less.

Average human height isn't 5 feet. For males it's about 5'8", and for females it's about 5'4". Even with minifigs being shorter than humans, I don't see a problem with them being 5 feet tall or a little less.

They're generaly depicted around a bit over three feet.

But minifigs are just squattier so it's about the same size really

• 1 month later...

Is there a cost of the total amount of bricks or is that even possible? Anyway this thing is freaking awesome.

If its possible, could you get me a Softimage/Maya-Friendly model of this?

@codsniper: I think that it is possible but extremly expensive. I only built the hull (and the bridge room) and there are more than 55.000 pieces. A whole ship with a inner construction would need 500.000 and more pieces. Maybe it would cost 50.000 euros (minimum) because it's so huge.

That means that it would be easier and much cheaper to construct it out of paper etc. :lol: .

@jg325: Indeed, it would be ca. 8 metres long in reality and in LDView it looks almost white because of the lighting at the light grey bricks.

The LMS Explorer files: Hmm, maybe I could give this file to people who want to finish it or use it for animations ect. or I upload it in the download section so everyone can use it

• Like 1

@Arthuriel: for inside rooms, if you are animating, it would be more practical, and easier, to build them seperatly, for authenticity, pretend it is like the eclipse model they used for filming TESB and ROTJ, it is totaly authentic but is hollow. and for uploading, maybe only for people who express an interest, and promise to give you credit. i for one would hate to see somebody ripping you off by passing it around and saying they made it all, you deserve credit.

Hmm, I don't make animations, but I have built a separate model of the bridge room (a better version than the room (which looks ugly) in my LMS Explorer).

for uploading: I think that this is very important, because I would hate it too, if people would tell that they have built this model in LeoCAD. Maybe my first idea is better. That means that I will give it only to people who are really interested in and promise that they will tell that it is my recreation of the LMS Explorer from Lego Rock Raiders.

• Like 1

I want to use the model for my LRRS Mod. I'll cite you in the credits under "Content Contributors"

How do you plan on using it?

Game startup video

I want to use the model for my LRRS Mod. I'll cite you in the credits under "Content Contributors"

Game startup video

No, I meant like how are you actually going to use the model? Are you going to export it out of LDD, or you gonna rotate the camera in LDD?

Game startup video

No, I meant like how are you actually going to use the model? Are you going to export it out of LDD, or you gonna rotate the camera in LDD?

Im going to use the model in the video and see if It can be rendered in game.

Im going to use the model in the video and see if It can be rendered in game.

Let's back up a second buddy. I ask:

What I wanted to know is how you are going to animate the model, and get it into the game.

• Arthuriel changed the title to 1:1 scale L.M.S. Explorer (+ldraw/studio 2.0 file downloads) - 2021-10-21: "Oh hey, this thread is 10 years old and still going!"
  • lol username featured this topic

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.