1:1 scale L.M.S. Explorer (+ldraw/studio 2.0 file downloads) - 2021-10-21: "Oh hey, this thread is 10 years old and still going!"

Arthuriel

• 8 months later...
Arthuriel

Thank you Cyrem. Now every picture is watchable in this thread :).

I've also something for you, folks: I completed my LDD bridge model (I don't know, why I ignored this unfinished project for such a long time), which looks better than the two older versions (bridge in the 1:1 model and the separate bridge model).

I've uploaded the pictures in the first post of this thread, which is better for overview reasons.

Personally I like my solution for the lights above the control panels, because you could use the technique in real life (my other bridge versions havn't this feature, because I hadn't cared about collision control or some RL fixation of the bricks).

PS: Thank you, Lair. Your uploaded picture from a lego magazine on page two of this thread was also very helpful :).

Wow, brilliant recreation of the bridge there! I would actually buy the just bridge on its own if I could. How many parts are there?

Arthuriel

In the whole picture (with the separate lights) are 1166 bricks. If you just count the roof and the bridge, you get 1111 bricks.

I attempted to construct the elevator shaft you have in the LDD picture, but the elevator didn't fit! 8S How big/tall is the inside?

Here is a picture, where you can see the inside. I hope, that it's okay.

gallery_1586_210_83894.jpg

In the first post of this thread I've added also another note:

In the intro video you can see two different evalators (I came to this conclusion, after I've built (but not finished) a LMS Explorer model on the Minecraftserver from Phoenyx or CTXXXTC, which also had the hangar room).

Therefore the evalator on this picture is based on the second evalator of the intro video (because you can see more details of it, but maybe the evalators on the LMS Explorer look almost the same).

I've found the door pieces only in LeoCAD/MLCAD, but I don't think, that they belong to the evalator (but at least there have to be a gap for the doors).

(Maybe it looks irritating, because I've just used the evalator from an older bridge model, where I probably used normal bricks as a door).

Basicly I have already finished the bridge (or do you mean with completed=the whole bridge and not only the top of it?) and therefore I could send you the file.

The command bridge, so sorry about the mising word :wimp: . 1 thing... Do you have the command bridge in either Lxf or LDaw format? (Lxf as in LDD).

Yes, I have the bridge as a lxf-file. It's also possible to export it as an ldr file, but there you have to correct a lot of bricks, which have the wrong position or are just missing.

PS: This is my 100th post :D

Well... Could you at least send me the LDD file? I am asking for the LDD version because I don't want to delay you so that you can work on the captains bridge. Just send me the LDD file please!

(Good job on getting your 100th post!)

Actually I think, that the bridge is basicly finished (the rest is much easier).

I could add the rest of the bridge, but this isn't as important like recreating the top of the bridge (which was my main goal).

PS: I send you a PM.

• 4 months later...

Ah, this thread has almost OVER 9000!!! hits, but I have an even more awesome fact for you:
I finally made a POV-Ray render of the 1:1 LMS Explorer. I never did it, because I thought, that POV-Ray crashed (the token counter in the lower left corner stopped, but the timer in the lower right corner worked), because I hadn't enough memory.

Here is an example (I will make more renders from different ancles in the future. I already made an 16k render without anti-aliasing (I downscaled it to this size), but I will try other settings to get higher quality pictures):

gallery_1586_210_64540.png

Update: I will try to upload pictures (HD or 4k resolution) with different ancles in the first post, because they look much better. Really big pictures (16k and upwards) will be uploaded on flickr (for people, who like to see every single brick :)).

Update2: I replaced the old L.M.S. Explorer pictures in the first post with the new ones. If want to watch the old pictures, you have to click on my gallery.

• Like 3

Could you upload the bridge (and possible the Explorer itself) file (for whatever programs) and have a link to it? Because then we could see all the AWESOME work you've put in.

And wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. This is epically awesomely insanely amazingly epic. :D

Thanks :). I've uploaded a lxf-file (LDD) of the bridge on mocpages several months ago, but I somehow forgot to post this in the first post (I added the download link at the end of the entry post now).

Uploading the whole L.M.S. Explorer is possible, but in my opinion only the file for MLCAD is usable (a.k.a. it loads fast, but the controls of this program aren't that easy), because the ship contains ~57000 bricks and is almost 8 metres long.

Thanks :). I also made these new POV-Ray render pictures ~ one week ago, because the old LDView render pictures weren't good (although it was the best possibility, I knew of, two years ago).

about other high-res pictures: I tried to upload bigger pictures of the 1:1 L.M.S. Explorer on flickr, but it didn't work (the upload itself probably worked, but not the approval process), which means, that the maximum resolution in this case is somewhere in the 16k range. It's a bit sad, because I personally like pictures for my Lego projects, where you can zoom in. Maybe I should upload them somewhere else, too.

• 7 months later...
Sadie Meowsalot

LMS Explorer Hangar Bays [WIP]

This is still very much a work-in-progress, but I just thought I'd share it with you all prematurely in case anyone felt ambitious enough to expand on it where we left off as it's unlikely I'll continue it myself for sometime in my current mental state. The aim of this project was to assist Arthuriel in recreating the entirety of the LMS Explorer to an even greater extent. This was/is a collaborative effort between myself and Lair in that I built the large majority of it and did all the numerically-intensive calculations whilst he helped me circumvent some issues I was encountering with the positioning of the hangar doors on either side, and incorporated the Small Transport Truck and Granite Grinder, and a few other elements into the scene. Before I continue I should also give credit to Daedalus304, who to quote PeabodySam "provided LXF models of the Rock Raiders sets and created custom replacements for the Rock Raiders cockpit, chassis, drill, and mining laser." 
Download 

Spoiler

img_12062014_051020.png

Edited by Slimy Slug

Yay, finally you uploaded it :D.  I think, that you have done a good job and that it looks pretty accurate.

I don't know, if I have the patience to work on it now (I remember the time, when I built that spaceship), but there are many active users on RRU.

Some years (2 or 3) ago I tried to recreate the LMS Explorer on an old RRU Minecraft server (including the hangar bay, which looked pretty good for Minecraft standards).

Sadly enough the server went offline and I couldn't finish it.

I wonder, if I could add that stuff to the ship. I guess, that it shares the same fate like the updated bridge: it would take ages to integrate it into the LeoCAD or MLCAD files (the LeoCAD files are slow or unloadable and I hate the MLCAD controls (maybe I'm just too stupid xD)). Therefore I won't do that at the moment.

• Arthuriel changed the title to 1:1 scale L.M.S. Explorer (+ldraw/studio 2.0 file downloads) - 2021-10-21: "Oh hey, this thread is 10 years old and still going!"
  • lol username featured this topic

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.