Add New Priorities

s0d3rb3rg

william already posted a tutorial on how to do this in my screenshot/video topic, but I'll make a new tutorial topic so it'll be easier for people to find it.

First, goto the Interface folder, then PriorityPanel. In there, you'll see two .bmp's, Priorities.bmp and Priorities_old.bmp. Rename Priorities.bmp to something else, like Priorities_orig, then rename Priorities_old to Priorities.

Now open the cfg and search for PriorityImages

You'll see this.

PriorityImages {

; languages

;<PriorityType>	  <PriorityNameInGame>:<NormalImage>:<PressedImage>

AI_Priority_Train	 Train_Rock_Raider:Interface\Menus\TrainAs.bmp:Interface\Menus\PTrainAs.bmp:Interface\Menus\NTrainAs.bmp

AI_Priority_GetIn	 Use_Vehicle|PriSFX_Drive:Interface\Menus\enter.bmp:Interface\Menus\Penter.bmp:Interface\Menus\Nenter.bmp

AI_Priority_Crystal	 Collect_Energy_Crystals|PriSFX_Crystals:Interface\Priorities\collectCrystal.bmp:Interface\Priorities\PcollectCrystal.bmp:Interface\Priorities\NcollectCrystal.bmp

AI_Priority_Ore	  Collect_Ore|PriSFX_Ore:Interface\Priorities\collectOre.bmp:Interface\Priorities\PcollectOre.bmp:Interface\Priorities\NcollectOre.bmp

AI_Priority_Repair	 Building_Repairs|PriSFX_Repair:Interface\Menus\repair.bmp:Interface\Menus\Prepair.bmp:Interface\Menus\Nrepair.bmp

AI_Priority_Clearing	Clear_Rubble:Interface\Menus\ClearRubble.bmp:Interface\Menus\PClearRubble.bmp:Interface\Menus\NClearRubble.bmp

AI_Priority_Destruction	Drilling|PriSFX_Drilling:Interface\Priorities\deconstruct.bmp:Interface\Priorities\Pdeconstruct.bmp:Interface\Priorities\Ndeconstruct.bmp

AI_Priority_Construction   Construction|PriSFX_Construction:Interface\Menus\building.bmp:Interface\Menus\Pbuilding.bmp:Interface\Menus\Nbuilding.bmp

AI_Priority_Reinforce	Reinforce_Walls|PriSFX_Reinforce:Interface\Menus\Reinforce.bmp:Interface\Menus\PReinforce.bmp:Interface\Menus\NReinforce.bmp

AI_Priority_Recharge	Recharge_Energy_Crystals|PriSFX_Recharge:Interface\Menus\Recharge.bmp:Interface\Menus\PRecharge.bmp:Interface\Menus\NRecharge.bmp

}

Now you can add in three new priorities to the list (you can add more if you want, but you'll need a new Priorities.bmp with more slots and you'll also have to add new PrioritiesImagePositions)) For this tutorial I'll be using AttackRockMonster, BuildPath and Upgrade (full list of priorities at the bottom of this post) Paste this under AI_Priority_Recharge (you can change this to whatever you want)

AI_Priority_AttackRockMonster Defend_Rock_Raiders_HQ:Interface\Menus\get_Gun.bmp:Interface\Menus\Pget_Gun.bmp:Interface\Menus\Nget_Gun.bmp

AI_Priority_BuildPath Build_Power_Path:Interface\Menus\buildpath.bmp:Interface\Menus\Pbuildpath.bmp:Interface\Menus\Nbuildpath.bmp

AI_Priority_Upgrade Upgrade:Interface\Menus\Upgrade.bmp:Interface\Menus\PUpgrade.bmp:Interface\Menus\NUpgrade.bmp

Now, go over to Levels {. Go to Tutorial01 and find Priorities {. Under AI_Priorities_Recharge TRUE, add this

AI_AttackRockMonster	TRUE

AI_BuildPath	TRUE

AI_Upgrade	TRUE

Now you'll just have to add this to every single mission and tutorial... hehe. And you're done! You can also add your own Priority sounds, but I'm too lazy to make a tutorial for that... Priorities list

AI_Priority_AttackObject - Attack objects?

AI_Priority_Congregate - Congregate?

AI_Priority_AttackPath - Attack paths? (for monsters perhaps?)

AI_Priority_Depart - ?

AI_Priority_Punch - ? (for monsters perhaps?)

AI_Priority_Steal - Steal stuff? (for monsters perhaps?)

AI_Priority_Gather - ?

AI_Priority_UpgradeBuilding - Upgrade buildings?

AI_Priority_Recharge - Recharge crystals

AI_Priority_FindLoad - ?

AI_Priority_Barrier - Place barriers

AI_Priority_AttackRockMonster - Attack monsters

AI_Priority_BuildPath - Build power paths

AI_Priority_Upgrade - Upgrade

AI_Priority_GetIn - Drive vehicles

AI_Priority_HealthLow - ?

AI_Priority_Refining - Refine ore/crystals

AI_Priority_Storage - Store ore/crystals

AI_Priority_Clearing - Clear rubble

AI_Priority_Repair - Repair buildings

AI_Priority_Reinforce - Reinforce walls

AI_Priority_Request - ?

AI_Priority_Construction - Construct buildings

AI_Priority_Destruction - Destruct buildings?

AI_Priority_DefaultCollect - ?

AI_Priority_Ore - Collect ore

AI_Priority_Crystal - Collect crystals

AI_Priority_SnaxULike - Disable and Raiders won't eat anymore?

• Like 3

I got it to work.

Add this instead.

AI_Priority_GetFood GetFood:Interface\Menus\getFood.bmp:Interface\Menus\PgetFood.bmp:Interface\Menus\NgetFood.bmp
or
AI_Priority_SnaxULike GetFood:Interface\Menus\getFood.bmp:Interface\Menus\PgetFood.bmp:Interface\Menus\NgetFood.bmp
The "getFood.bmp" is already in the priorities folder, but you need to make the other two. Then in each level, add
 AI_Priority_GetFood	 TRUE
or
 AI_Priority_SnaxULike  TRUE

I tested both of these and they both work for me, but let me know if you have any problems.

Edit: I forgot to mention AI_Priority_SnaxULike works better.

I got it to work.

Add this instead.

AI_Priority_GetFood GetFood:Interface\Menus\getFood.bmp:Interface\Menus\pgetFood.bmp:Interface\Menus\NgetFood.bmp
or
AI_Priority_SnaxULike GetFood:Interface\Menus\getFood.bmp:Interface\Menus\pgetFood.bmp:Interface\Menus\NgetFood.bmp
The "getFood.bmp" is already in the priorities folder, but you need to make the other two. Then in each level, add
 AI_Priority_GetFood	 TRUE
or
 AI_Priority_SnaxULike  TRUE

I tested both of these and they both work for me, but let me know if you have any problems.

Awesome! WILLIAM IS CREDIT TO TEAM!

I'm pretty sure I can do refining and barrier, I could probably do collect electric fence if you want too. And are some of those for monsters? Because if they are I can't do them, like attack path and punch. And I'll start working on the rest tomorrow, I'm kind of busy today. And could you maybe add better descriptions? I'm not sure what you mean by a few of them.

Edit: Wait, did you come up with those or are they aiready in the exe?

Did you ever try the priority_eat?

olol no I forgot about it. But I don't think it will work, because it's not in the exe.

Yeah, I'm sure these are all hardcoded and s***.

• 9 months later...
MechWarrior001

Thanks for the tutorial!

However when In-game the last 3 priority boxes are empty and don't show any priority icons, and I get a No icon when I attempt to click on the move/enabled buttons next to each priority box. Perhaps I did something wrong?

Thanks for the tutorial!

However when In-game the last 3 priority boxes are empty and don't show any priority icons, and I get a No icon when I attempt to click on the move/enabled buttons next to each priority box. Perhaps I did something wrong?

That's usually caused by either the file path being wrong or the priority name being invalid.

Thanks for the tutorial!

You have to set the positions of the new images. It's under PrioritiesImagePositions { in the cfg.

Forgot to add that in the original post.

MechWarrior001

You have to set the positions of the new images. It's under PrioritiesImagePositions { in the cfg.

Forgot to add that in the original post.

But there is already positions for 12 priorities, which I found in the stock CFG.

PrioritiesImagePositions

{

1 41,26

2 96,33

3 151,40

4 151,95

5 96,101

6 41,108

7 41,162

8 96,169

9 151,176

10 151,230

11 96,237

12 41,244

}

I checked them out in GIMP and they seem to match up; Maybe I'm confusing coordinates?

• 5 years later...
  • Administrators
ShadowDraikana

Before I get started, I want to thank @s0d3rb3rg for posting this tutorial in the first place.  @William also deserves credit for his work on this.  Not to mention he was the one I consulted with on this subject.

First thing I need to point out here is that s0d made a mistake in describing how to get these priorities working: 

AI_Priority_AttackRockMonster Defend_Rock_Raiders_HQ:Interface\Menus\get_Gun.bmp:Interface\Menus\Pget_Gun.bmp:Interface\Menus\Nget_Gun.bmp

AI_Priority_BuildPath Build_Power_Path:Interface\Menus\buildpath.bmp:Interface\Menus\Pbuildpath.bmp:Interface\Menus\Nbuildpath.bmp

AI_Priority_Upgrade Upgrade:Interface\Menus\Upgrade.bmp:Interface\Menus\PUpgrade.bmp:Interface\Menus\NUpgrade.bmp

Now, go over to Levels {. Go to Tutorial01 and find Priorities {. Under AI_Priorities_Recharge TRUE, add this

AI_AttackRockMonster	TRUE

AI_BuildPath	TRUE

AI_Upgrade	TRUE

He left out the word Priority in the bottom section.  Could a mod fix this please?

There is also a small oversight: 

AI_Priority_Destruction - Destruct buildings?

What's this I see in the cfg?

AI_Priority_Destruction	Drilling|PriSFX_Drilling.....

It says exactly what the priority is...

With those two mistakes aside, I'd like to get into the findings of my testing of these priorities.  

I'll use the priorities list above and give a conclusion about each one.

NOTE: Some of these when used in a level's priorities section affected the AI regardless of whether the priority was on or not.

Active Default Priorities

AI_Priority_Recharge - Recharge crystals
AI_Priority_GetIn - Drive vehicles
AI_Priority_Clearing - Clear rubble
AI_Priority_Repair - Repair buildings 
AI_Priority_Reinforce - Reinforce walls
AI_Priority_Construction - Construct buildings 
AI_Priority_Destruction - Drilling walls
AI_Priority_Ore - Collect ore 
AI_Priority_Crystal - Collect crystals
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Monster AI Priorities

AI_Priority_AttackObject - Monster priority. Caused them to wander the cavern aimlessly in levels where I used the priority. 

AI_Priority_AttackPath - Monster priority. Definitely affected the pathfinding of monsters.  Some of them even wandered around, much like what happened with AttackObjects.

AI_Priority_Depart - Monster priority. 98% of sleeping monsters when awakened would exit the level. Emerging monsters would immediately reenter another wall.

AI_Priority_Punch - Monster priority. Tested; no effect on things.

AI_Priority_Steal - Monster priority. Untested.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Working Unused Priorities

AI_Priority_Barrier - Placing barriers. This one actually works. Tested this by disabling it during construction, and the Raiders did not grab barriers.   
                                        Enabling it allowed them to do so, which they did. Also tested to see if they would grab barriers, crystals, and ore   
                                        in a different order based on priorities. The Raiders normally grab crystals and ore for building in the order they   
                                        appear in the priorities list. Putting barriers lower than both on the list did not affect anything as the Raiders 
                                        still collected barriers first. Hardcoded? Question I have is whether this priority has any kind of use whatsoever.

AI_Priority_BuildPath - Build power paths. Works, albeit not how you'd expect. Construction apparently has no influence on this whatsoever. Even with BuildPath 
                                           off, the Raiders will still place ore on the patches. But, they won't perform their shoveling animation that finishes 
                                           the path. Turning it back on resulted in the Raiders going to the squares to finish the paths. The actual building process   
                                           must be regulated by an AITask_Type. Either that or it is hardcoded.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Other Unused Priorities

AI_Priority_Congregate - ? Could not determine what this does. Useless as a priority. 

AI_Priority_Gather - ? Purpose unknown. Useless in my testing.

AI_Priority_UpgradeBuilding - ? Purpose unknown. Useless in my testing.

AI_Priority_FindLoad - ? Purpose unknown.  Useless in my testing.

AI_Priority_AttackRockMonster - Completely useless.  William confirmed this in a PM. Raiders can only attack monsters when they are equipped with a weapon
                                                     AND Action Stations is on. 
AI_Priority_Upgrade - Useless. Jessietail pointed this out to s0d3rb3rg in that video topic. Raiders and vehicles go straight to the Tool Store and Upgrade Station
                               after you tell them to upgrade. Totally useless priority.

AI_Priority_HealthLow - ? Possibly affects AI behavior of any living thing once it reaches critical low health.  Did not affect anything in testing, however.

AI_Priority_Refining - Useless and breaks AI horribly. Not only will Raiders still refine things with this switched off, but they will refuse to build anything
                                                       after the Power Station (in my case). By this, they will not take crystals to the build site. Instead, they
                                                       simply head right back to the Power Station. This occurs by just having the priority present in the priorities
                                                       section of the level you are testing. Removing it fixes things. Also, if you don't want to refine things,
                                                       either don't build an Ore Refinery, or if you have one already, turn it off.

AI_Priority_Storage - Useless and breaks AI HORRIBLY. Raiders will refuse to build anything and will re-store dynamite after you select walls to blow up. Turning
                                                      it off has no effect on whether Raiders store crystals and ore or not. My Raiders would usually get Idleness
                                                      Syndrome almost immediately after beaming down, if everything else wasn't bad enough.

AI_Priority_Request - ? Again, no idea what this does. Useless in my testing

AI_Priority_DefaultCollect - This has something to do with Raiders and collecting tools/items. When switched off, my Raiders would refuse to grab tools when told to. 
                             Turning this back on resulted in Raiders immediately going to get the requested tool.  They still grabbed tools on their own, though. I 
                             did notice that the Raiders would get Idleness Syndrome almost immediately once this was turned off.

AI_Priority_SnaxULike - I did not find this one in my exe. 

Some other findings: Neither SnaxULike nor GetFood is in my exe.  Neither worked in testing (icons never appear in game).  I'd like to know how these were successfully tested by others.  

If you look at the first line PriorityImages {}, you'll notice this: 

AI_Priority_Train	 Train_Rock_Raider:Interface\Menus\TrainAs.bmp:Interface\Menus\PTrainAs.bmp:Interface\Menus\NTrainAs.bmp

The tutorials and some main game missions have this in the priorities list.  My question here is why this was added by the devs when it clearly is not in the exe?  Furthermore, there is another priority seen often coupled with Train in the levels: AI_Priority_GetTool.  Again, not found in the exe.  I should note that there are corresponding AITask_Types for both priorities by the same name.  

In my closing paragraph, I want to ask a few more questions, starting with: does anyone know how to get Collect Electric Fence as a priority?  There is a corresponding AITask_Type_ElecFence, I might add.  William said he successfully added an electric fence priority, though he wasn't entirely sure how he managed to do so.  He did say that he remembered it working extremely well and proved to be quite useful.

Additionally, he suggested to me that there may be priorities for each weapon in the game.  This would be extremely useful for a  number of reasons (if they in fact exist).

I guess my last question is whether exe editing would be required to get some of these functional.

Either way, I hope I've given RRU a better look at the existing priorities.  This topic is something that frankly needs more research, so hopefully this is a start.

NOTE: I will update this post with further findings/corrections/additions.  I may also reorganize the list into categories so it is a bit easier to read.

Update:

Added in some new info into the list above.  Grouped priorities in list together so it is easier to read.

Has anyone figured out why the last three increase priority level and enable/disable buttons do not work in the larger panel?  The positions match up, but uncommenting them in the cfg has no effect.

Update 1/4/2018: 

Made an interesting discovery: Electric Fences seem to be "7th" on the priorities list.  How I found this was when I moved Destruction (Drilling) up to the 7th position, Raiders would favor picking up dynamite at the Tool Store over the fences.  When I moved the 8th priority up, thus moving drilling back, the Raiders favored picking up fences over dynamite.  Testing this with other things confirmed a definite preference for fences until something went to the no. 7 slot.  

Update 3/16/2018:

Me and @Jessietailhave determined that AI_Priority_Construction is useless.  When turned off, Raiders still perform construction of buildings, and moving the priority does not seem to affect it either.  Additionally, AI_Priority_Destruction seems to regulate only the priority of using dynamite on walls.  Drilling walls takes precedence over everything else it seems, though disabling this priority will prevent raiders from drilling and using dynamite.  

Edited by Slimy Slug
Update 3
  • Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.