Rebuilt Rock Raiders Models + Other Errata

elrunethe2nd

Hi there.

I joined up here a few years ago to (unashamedly) plug a game i'm working on and say hello; Rock Raiders has been a thing from my childhood too.

Anyway, it's since been a while and i've made a new account here, since my old one disappeared.

I'm not sure if there's any demand for this, or a use; especially in it's current status, but let's have a go anyway.

EDIT:

Updated this post. It's been years now.

In my spare time, which is considerable, I have taken it upon myself to finish another user's Rock Raiders mod for our game. He began generating some of the content for it, but it wasn't particularly good, and eventually up and left. Since then, I ended up slowly beginning to create all the relevant content myself for our game.

Our game's dead. I am now making all the art assets for my own porpoises.

To cut the story short, here's where I am now:

Spoiler

Model status:

Misc:

Energy Crystal ✅ 

Ore ✅ 

Helmet ✅ 

Hard hat ✅ 

Russian cap (Kepi) ✅ 

Tools ✅ 

Weapons ❌

Sonic bomb ❌

Dynamite ❌

Building base ✅ 

Warning bar ❌

Monsters:

Rock Monster ✅ 

Ice Monster ❌

Lava Monster ❌

Slimey Slug ✅ 

Buildings:

The Tool Store ✅ 

The Teleport Pad ✅ 

The Docks ❌

The Power Station ✅ 

The Support Station ✅ 

The Ore Refinery ❌

The Upgrade Station ✅ 

The Geological Center ❌

The Mining Laser ✅ 

The Super Teleport ❌

Laser Fence ❌

Tyres:

Small Tyre: ✅ 

Medium Tyre: ✅ 

Large Tyre: ✅ 

Superlarge Tyre/Grinder Wheel: ❌

Superlarge Tyre/Drill: ❌

Vehicles:

The Hover Scout ✅ 

The Small Digger ✅ 

The Small Transport Truck ✅ 

The Small Mobile Laser Cutter ❌

The Rapid Rider ✅ 

The Tunnel Scout ✅ 

Large vehicles:

The Loader Dozer ❌

The Granite Grinder ❌

The Large Mobile Laser Cutter ❌

The Cargo Carrier ❌

The Chrome Crusher ✅ 

The Tunnel Transport ✅ 

Cut out of that is implementation, as I'm sure noone cares about how I'm going to use all these things..

Anyway, the shorter short of it is that I've built a fair amount of 3D resources from the game, from scratch.

Pictures are here. There are a lot. They're a mix of ingame visuals and the model file from Milkshape.

OLD PICTURES:

Spoiler

200b2uq.png

2eekn51.png

wtzvo1.png

20hq3uu.png

My delightfully amateur docks:

21j2luw.png

The point is, that because this is all in Milkshape format, and Milkshape is rather polite and exports to a number of proprietary 3D model formats, I figure someone with a use for some of this, may be able to use it. I get the gist that ORR is going to be a 2D grid game only, but maybe someone else has something in mind.

All made in Blender now. Milkshape is for amateurs.

I'm happy to share this work with people; it'd be a pity for it to go to waste in the event this doesn't take off. Do ask if you're interested.

If you want to take a look for yourself, the relevant bits with my involvement start here: http://theorangebloc...&start=80#25375

Dead and gone. 

I get the gist that ORR is going to be a 2D grid game only, but maybe someone else has something in mind.

I'm happy to share this work with people; it'd be a pity for it to go to waste in the event this doesn't take off.

If you want to take a look for yourself, the relevant bits with my involvement start here: http://theorangebloc...&start=80#25375

I spot outdated info in there.

ORR-C (which is in fact the original ORR, just with a -C added onto it to distinguish it from several forks that have popped up) will probably remain 2D.

ORR-D is 3D. Period.

Anyway, nice work o.o

I could never model that great :cry:

I find it interesting that the OP in that topic you linked was two and a half years ago. Anyways, fan games are always welcome. It's better than being here just to piss around being useless and annoying.

Edit: Ugh blockland >_>

Those are really well done (the docks needs to be shaded but that's all).

I've got a project in the works but no 3D models beyond what the Source Developer's Kit already has. If I get far enough into the project would you like to help out?

I spot outdated info in there.

ORR-C (which is in fact the original ORR, just with a -C added onto it to distinguish it from several forks that have popped up) will probably remain 2D.

ORR-D is 3D. Period.

Anyway, nice work o.o

I could never model that great :cry:

I discovered this shortly after this post when I did some browsing. Hope it turns out to something.

And it's surprisingly not that hard. Milkshape is a step up from Sketchup in terms of difficulty, but it's still quite simple to just get in there and make things.

I find it interesting that the OP in that topic you linked was two and a half years ago. Anyways, fan games are always welcome. It's better than being here just to piss around being useless and annoying.

Edit: Ugh blockland >_>

It's been a while, and I figured I had enough magic in me to make it a reality.

Also, it's not Blockland per-se, it's Torque Game Engine running a heavily modified version of the beta release of Blockland done in such a way that it broke away significantly from what was done with Blockland in terms of realism.

That said, I understand a lot of people got rubbed in many different ways throughout Blockland's creation and I can't blame you for having an aversion to anything that came from it.

But i'm not here to plug the game.

The models look fantastic. I'm looking forward to progress.

And welcome!

Well, I should finish the vehicles and buildings soon at least. I'm hoping someone in the internet may have a use for it all.

Those are really well done (the docks needs to be shaded but that's all).

I've got a project in the works but no 3D models beyond what the Source Developer's Kit already has. If I get far enough into the project would you like to help out?

Thank you! Practically all of the models need to be unwelded and made so you can see the angles and stuff, and i'm slowly going through each file and bringing them up to a unified higher standard so that that is a reality. Since this has been my crash course in learning to model, i've now got a bit of a trail of errors to fix.

RE: Source Work

I might! If it can be done with Milkshape and/or Photoshop, I can probably help you. That said, i'm still fairly green at making things of reasonable complexity; LEGO is, after all, just interlocking bricks (all a single color) (and that's how I treat and assemble the models i've made so far (helmet excluded)), and i'm only used to working with the (highly picky and facetious) Torque Game Engine.

it's not Blockland per-se, it's Torque Game Engine running a heavily modified version of the beta release of Blockland done in such a way that it broke away significantly from what was done with Blockland in terms of realism.

Practically all of the models need to be unwelded and made so you can see the angles and stuff, and i'm slowly going through each file and bringing them up to a unified higher standard so that that is a reality. Since this has been my crash course in learning to model, i've now got a bit of a trail of errors to fix.

1) So it's TBM.

2) I think you can just apply different smoothing groups to get the same effect in TGE, at least that's what I remember doing. In LRR you have to unweld vertices in order to get sharp edges because that's just the way wot it is. And have you considered importing LRR's LWO files into Milkshape so you can check the proportions of your models against the originals?

it's not Blockland per-se, it's Torque Game Engine running a heavily modified version of the beta release of Blockland done in such a way that it broke away significantly from what was done with Blockland in terms of realism.

Practically all of the models need to be unwelded and made so you can see the angles and stuff, and i'm slowly going through each file and bringing them up to a unified higher standard so that that is a reality. Since this has been my crash course in learning to model, i've now got a bit of a trail of errors to fix.

1) So it's TBM.

2) I think you can just apply different smoothing groups to get the same effect in TGE, at least that's what I remember doing. In LRR you have to unweld vertices in order to get sharp edges because that's just the way wot it is. And have you considered importing LRR's LWO files into Milkshape so you can check the proportions of your models against the originals?

We call it TOB now, and it's come a ways since barebones TBM, but in quintessence it's built off TBM and I accept any views you may have regarding it.

I have actually tried ripping the models from the game directly; that was my first plan. On looking into it, the models seemed too convoluted and intimidating and I resolved to build the physical sets (via instructions) first. Since then I used photos from the game. Honestly, I should try taking another look at it with what i've learned since I know that it's possible to make sense of the models. I'll definitely end up doing so to fix things like the Docks.

So far, plain unwelding has worked sometimes for sharp edges, and sometimes it hasn't. This erratic result combined with TGE's terrible handling of transparent objects has led me to compromise in the polish department a bit. I'll give the smoothing groups a go.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
elrunethe2nd

That looks like, um, Blockland... V0002 a little bit

The grass texture told me

Well yes. Because it's built off of it.

But at the end of the day it's just a way to show off the models. I could have just as easily taken pictures in Milkshape.

HI, welcome to the R.R.U., enjoy mining for stuff, beware of insane people posting incredibly late welcome messages!

Wait septe-wad jammit.

elrunethe2nd

HI, welcome to the R.R.U., enjoy mining for stuff, beware of insane people posting incredibly late welcome messages!

Wait septe-wad jammit.

Yes, I've been around for a bit of a while. I lurk a lot.

All the same, thank you for the formal welcome.

Fluffy Cupcake

Heya, welco...

beware of insane people posting incredibly late welcome messages!

Wait septe-wad jammit.

Darn it! Didn't notice the date!

Ah! So that's where I've seen that terrain look before.

Anyway, those are some nice looking models you got there elrnuethe2nd.

• 2 weeks later...
elrunethe2nd

Heya, welco...

beware of insane people posting incredibly late welcome messages!

Wait septe-wad jammit.

Darn it! Didn't notice the date!

Ah! So that's where I've seen that terrain look before.

Anyway, those are some nice looking models you got there elrnuethe2nd.

You're most kind. I appreciate the support.

Hey, elrune, I'm still waiting on progress ;P

Okay, I can do that.

I've been pretty under the hammer lately, but I just did some restitching on the Slimey Slug.

From this:

sliugsn.png

To this:

remesh.png

I just need it to be less Rayman and more slug.

[edit]

To this:

sslugfinal.png

I stuck with the Rayman for now.

It's also animated now. I need to record it at some point.

I also finished the Hover Scout a while ago:

87385114.png

And the electric fence:

zapu.png

Further back I finished the SMLC:

doent0002.png.

You can also spot the finished medium scale tire there.

And you've already seen the LMLC in the OP.

[edit]

Check it out!

More progress than you can shake a stick at.

haveaguess.png

[edit]

And I've redone the Chrome Crusher to be less ghetto and more class.

outoftheghetto.png

newandauthentic.png

[edit]

Aaaaand done.

From this:

sample1wr.png

To this:

finalfr.png

[edit]

Cleaned and updated the tool store. Now has no spammy hidden verts, and I culled down the ridiculous collision mesh to be a bunch of boxes instead.

nfwf.png

74290908.png

[edit]

Rejigged the teleport pad in the same fashion.

tpwif.png

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
elrunethe2nd

This is amazing! Good job!

Thank you!

Also, this just in.

Granite Grinder done.

gg1.png

gg2g.png

If you haven't cottoned on yet, i'm updating nearly daily here.

I'll just keep editing the latest post for now.

[edit]

Cleaned up the digger.

sd1c.png

sd2b.png

I'll realign the drills momentarily.

[edit]

Reworked the tires. Now with proper holes, and I created a new small tire! Now the Small Digger can have it's proper tires.

tire1.png

tire2.png

• 1 month later...

Wow great re-modeling on the rock monster!

i cant see about half of the pics.

You need to open the spoilers.... not sure how you can't see them. There is heaps.

i cant see about half of the pics.

You need to open the spoilers.... not sure how you can't see them. There is heaps.

There are no spoilers. Are YOU blind?

There are two spoilers in the OP. I think you're the blind one, Extreme. Some people might not be able to see the images if their browser is blocking whatever image host was used, so spoilers wouldn't be the problem here.

no really all the pics are gone and there are little red x es in the places they shuld be.

Are you using Internet Explorer?

• ShadowDraikana locked and unlocked this topic

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.