Early map of LEGO Island from IXS

lol username

Dean Roskell, who designed the levels and locations for LEGO Island 2 and Island Xtreme Stunts, recently shared something very interesting through Flickr...

http://www.flickr.co.../in/photostream

6150040033_b8fc55eede_o.jpg

For those too lazy to click the link and read the description:

This was an early design of the Island for LEGO Island 3, which later became Island Xtreme Stunts.

Some of the basic elements stayed with the design through to the end, the waterway under the mountain, the location of the mountain in the centre and the general land mass.

As with most work in video games, ideas and plans get cut down during development due to time constraints and technology. Both played their part in the evolution of the islands design. One of the issues was that the game's engine didn't support streaming, as found in titles such as Grand Theft Auto, which meant that all the data had to be loaded all the time, putting strict limits on how big and detailed the island could be.

The second reason was that during development, more and more emphasis was placed on the mini game sequences, which meant that we had less resources (man power) to dedicate to the Island gameplay section.

What I found neat is that this map and his comments actually confirm a couple of things I had found in the files a while back:

1 - Island Xtreme Stunts was originally titled LEGO Island 3

2 - The Brickimals were originally tied in with "Rolf the Vet" (there's still sound files from the vet's clinic thing in the files)

3 - There were originally railways on the island, like in LEGO Island 2

4 - A ton of quests were cut out (original had over 50, released game has 17)

And of course, it also reveals a ton of new things, like the different layout, removed soccer pitch, lake, etc. And of course, Phil Maker was originally named Phil Film. Hah. But anyways, there's a ton of interesting things to see in the map, and Dean just won the internet. Enjoy!

EDIT: And now he's uploaded 3D character model renderings from LI2 and IXS - with early names! :D

http://www.flickr.co...ith/6150508715/

Do you find it interesting that the island never truly persists between titles, as though it was an entirely different island each time?

On the original island there was a "Formula 1" (used in quotes as the track would never have qualified) race track in the middle, the Information Center was on top of a mountain to the east, the Hospital was to the north of the Information Center, and the Pizzeria was near the beach to the south. There were residential areas to the west and Nubby's Garage was just east of the race track. The mystery cave only appeared in the first game.

Do you find it interesting that the island never truly persists between titles, as though it was an entirely different island each time?

On the original island there was a "Formula 1" (used in quotes as the track would never have qualified) race track in the middle, the Information Center was on top of a mountain to the east, the Hospital was to the north of the Information Center, and the Pizzeria was near the beach to the south. There were residential areas to the west and Nubby's Garage was just east of the race track. The mystery cave only appeared in the first game.

Yeah, I don't think they've ever been able to completely settle on an island design. Though, for your comment about the cave only appearing in LI1... Hah, anything but.

(Excuse the extremely cruddy quality on that one, I didn't have Fraps at the time)

It was a bonus area in LI2 for PC. But, in the GBC version, it actually formed an entire game area, complete with boss fight (first boss of the game I might add, a Rock Monster)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuLk8TK1U2w

Also, it kinda appears in IXS, I'll nab a screenshot soon.

The mystery cave only appeared in the first game.

Though, for your comment about the cave only appearing in LI1... Hah, anything but.

Anything but what? The mystery cave only appeared in PC form in LEGO Island 1. It wasn't in Island 2, that was a completaly different cave. The GBA cave, on the other hand, is probably connected to the cave, and since it was so huge then it IS anything but so I'm rambling and...

mystery cave? You know who that man is behind the door, right?

Wait, DJ Ablebody, as in Johnathan Ablebody from Legoland? interesting.

...what

Anything but what? The mystery cave only appeared in PC form in LEGO Island 1. It wasn't in Island 2, that was a completaly different cave. The GBA cave, on the other hand, is probably connected to the cave, and since it was so huge then it IS anything but so I'm rambling and...

What makes you think the LI2 PC cave is different from the cave in LI1? They're in the exact same location and there's nothing to indicate that they aren't the same. The LI2 GBC cave is also most likely the same cave, considering the pirate skeletons, statue of Captain Click, and Captain Click's trading card are all inside. And the fact that, y'know, it's a cave under LEGO Island, and given the size of the place I can't imagine that there are any caves that AREN'T connected somehow.

What makes you think the LI2 PC cave is different from the cave in LI1?

1. They're in the exact same location

2. and there's nothing to indicate that they aren't the same.

1. One is on the back of a space port mountain that isn't in LI1, and the other is in a hill not in LI2. That's not the same at all.

2. >Treasure chest and door.

>Energy Crystals, lava and developers

...no.

I didn't say they couldn't be connected, they probably are. I just said it's not the same cave from Island 1.

Actually, that mountain WAS in LI1. Get out some maps and compare. The two caves are in the exact same place. And if you're saying the caves aren't the same because one doesn't have a chest and door, you could also say the entire island isn't the same place because they changed things a bit. You never see past the door in the LI1 cave either so your argument about lava and crystals is invalid. Point is, the cave in LI1 and the cave in LI2 are the same place, they are in the same spot and just because they don't have the same exact look doesn't mean they aren't the same place, because the entire island received a visual overhaul.

Fluffy Cupcake
because the entire island received a visual overhaul.
I wonder wassup with that, the Island became over populated so all the citizens moved to a new island or revamped it? xD

1. Actually, that mountain WAS in LI1. Get out some maps and compare.

2. The two caves are in the exact same place.

3. And if you're saying the caves aren't the same because one doesn't have a chest and door, you could also say the entire island isn't the same place because they changed things a bit.

4. You never see past the door in the LI1 cave either so your argument about lava and crystals is invalid.

5. Point is, the cave in LI1 and the cave in LI2 are the same place, they are in the same spot and just because they don't have the same exact look doesn't mean they aren't the same place, because the entire island received a visual overhaul.

1. The mountain wasn't in Island. There's no mountain or such.

2. The caves aren't in the exact same place because they can't be, because it's two different islands. I can see how it might look like the tall spire in the hills, but that doesn't make it the same mountain.

3. But it's a completaly different cave, not Click's.

4. ...invalid? There's nothing "invalid" at all. The cave is a completaly different design. It's not labeled like the Info center to say it's just a remodel.

5. ...point is, the cave in Island and Island 2 are impossible to tell if they're in the same place, and just because they don't have the exact same look doesn't mean it's a remodel either.

My point is that you can't say it's the same cave because that's pure speculation. It's not a designated building. There are lots of caves on the island. Believe it if you want, but don't be trying to convince me that you're 100% right. I'm not trying to say you're wrong, I'm just saying that it's speculation.

because the entire island received a visual overhaul.
I wonder wassup with that, the Island became over populated so all the citizens moved (or renovated) to a new island? xD

The Infomaniac redesigns the whole island every year with his incredible power.

I'm on my phone at the moment so I can't type out a full reply, but when I get home (probably in about two hours or so) I'll post some images. The LI2 "island" is actually made of two islands joined by bridges, the northern one wasn't there in LI1. The southern island is a redesign of the island in LI1, and Space Mountain and the LI2 cave are where the mountain spire and the original cave were in LI1, exactly. Will post more when I am home.

If only LEGO Island 3 had stayed LEGO Island 3...

Also the two islands are similar in design mainly because they were originally supposed to be linked together much like Banjo Kazooie and Banjo Tooie were supposed to be, via that cave (the pirate door specifically). However, because LEGO Island 2 underwent some major improvements to the engine and expanded it to include other worlds, it didn't come out until 2001. This idea was later dropped and the new island bares little semblance to the original, except a few key areas left over from the initial design. Space Mountain is more or less the same hill seen in LEGO Island 1, spiral walkway and all, but like everything else it's been heavily redesigned. Information center is in the same place, though it's not really on a big hill anymore. Police station is in the same place though the jail "island" is a bit smaller and closer to shore. Coast Guard is in the same place though the beach is redesigned. Everything else is pretty much completely changed, including the entirely new island on the top and the river going down the middle of the old one (also, for example, the race track was completely scrapped in favor of the skate park).

LEGOIslandMap.png

map.jpg

The cave in question was going to be taken out all together but the developers decided to leave it in as an easteregg and put a portal (activated via cheatcode) on the side of the mountain where it was going to be located.

If only LEGO Island 3 had stayed LEGO Island 3...

Also the two islands are similar in design mainly because they were originally supposed to be linked together much like Banjo Kazooie and Banjo Tooie were supposed to be, via that cave (the pirate door specifically). However, because LEGO Island 2 underwent some major improvements to the engine and expanded it to include other worlds, it didn't come out until 2001. This idea was later dropped and the new island bares little semblance to the original, except a few key areas left over from the initial design.

What the freaking heck? Where did you hear this? LI1 and LI2 don't even have the same developers, the cave in LI1 was a teaser for the next LEGO game Mindscape planned to make, it had nothing to do with LI2.

Space Mountain is more or less the same hill seen in LEGO Island 1, spiral walkway and all, but like everything else it's been heavily redesigned. Information center is in the same place, though it's not really on a big hill anymore. Police station is in the same place though the jail "island" is a bit smaller and closer to shore. Everything else is pretty much completely changed, including the entirely new island on the top and the river going down the middle of the old one.

LEGOIslandMap.png

map.jpg

THIS I agree with for the most part. All the buildings are in the same locations, just the landscape was altered.

The cave in question was going to be taken out all together but the developers decided to leave it in as an easteregg and put a portal (activated via cheatcode) on the side of the mountain where it was going to be located.

Once again, where did you hear this? It is and always was just a bonus area, the files confirm it.

Ugh, Iego fans that think they know everything are the worst kind. Okay, so the buildings are in roughly the same place relative to each other in LI1 and LI2. That's easy to see. But in LI2 the island got bigger, the terrain became more hilly, a river came up out of nowhere, and the mountain in the west suddenly grew twice as tall. Plus, a tumor-like addition was added just north of the island. Other things like bridges were added here and there, and now there's a train track encircling part of the island. I fail to see how LI2 is the same island as LI1. Considering all the changes I always thought LI2 was just a different island that was colonized after the residents of LI1 realized that their 40-acre island wasn't big enough. But as Lair said, this is just speculation.

To add to Cirevam's comment, the road system is completely different, and I can tell that wasn't built out of LEGO road plates. It takes quite a long time to rebuild a single road, never mind a whole island's worth of them.

Also the race track, lifeguard stand and bank are missing in LI2 along with the entire residential district (which seemed to include a pair of early LEGO architecture series houses as well as the LEGO Dacta house) having been replaced with a space center.

And it gets worse in Island Xtreme Stunts - absolutely NOTHING remains of the old designs, the entire layout was redesigned from scratch. The Information Center was on Space Mountain for pete's sake! Personally I like the IXS design better then the others, it's bigger and has a more interesting shape to it (the others were kinda boxy). Still, there's pretty much no relation to the other designs. And then, there's the IXS minigames, which supposedly are still on the island but look nothing like the island seen when just running around. Island Xtreme Confusion.

Once again, where did you hear this? It is and always was just a bonus area, the files confirm it.

Hmm...I guess I might be mistaken about that. Read it somewhere a long time go on a gaming blog....or maybe it was a youtube video...I don't remember.... Google searches don't turn anything up so disregard that bit. Take everything with a grain of salt I guess... Development did start just a year after the first release though.

Also Wes Jenkins worked on both games, though he's the only developer that worked on both. But that's not really relevant...

Considering all the changes I always thought LI2 was just a different island that was colonized after the residents of LI1 realized that their 40-acre island wasn't big enough. But as Lair said, this is just speculation.

The manual said something along the lines of "We've rebuilt since the last time the Brickster escaped, and we've even expanded a bit." In other words, a cheap justification as to why the island is completely different, tacked on at the last minute.

Considering all the changes I always thought LI2 was just a different island that was colonized after the residents of LI1 realized that their 40-acre island wasn't big enough. But as Lair said, this is just speculation.

The manual said something along the lines of "We've rebuilt since the last time the Brickster escaped, and we've even expaneded a bit." In other words, a cheap justification as to why the island is completely different, tacked on at the last minute.

So I was right. The Infomaniac has the power to change FLOWERS the island any way and time he likes.

But if this was just expansion, what of IXS, which completally changed the island?

Fluffy Cupcake

But if this was just expansion, what of IXS, which completally changed the island?
The Infomaniac got bored of similar island looks, so he totally changed everything.

Yo, james. Put this on TIC, will ya? Since Segatendo and I practically MADE the site for stuff like this (And for when Wes posts on my site).

This, but James probably wanted quicker responses because NOBODY checks TIC anyway because NOBODY posts anything on it in the first place.

This, but James probably wanted quicker responses because NOBODY checks TIC anyway because NOBODY posts anything on it in the first place.

Maybe I'd check it more if people actually responded to my topics, or went there in the first place.

True that...

OK EVERYONE. GET MORE PEOPLE ON TIC. Segatendo busted his BRICKS trying to make the site look epic.

And let's get Wes to post on the site too.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.