Installing LEGO Racers In Windows 7

Addictgamer

The launcher does nothing when I click "Install". So, I assumed setup.exe required compatibility modes.

...I went through all of them, and nothing's happened.

When I say that, I mean nothing. No install screen, no error message, no BSOD.

Running setup.exe from the command prompt doesn't do anything either.

How did you windows 7 users manage to get racers working?

tbh, I've copied my original saves and data over from computer to computer since I first installed it back in 1999, so I've only ever installed it once.

Also, my version of LR1 doesn't have a launcher, so i'm not sure what to tell you. For me, it attempts to reinstall if you let the autorun go, even if it's already installed.

I have LEGO Racers 1 installed on Win7. The installer does run, without any compatibility. But, I did have some trouble with the installer on another Vista computer.

You see, On Win 7, when I clicked the installer. it loaded right up. But on a Windows Vista computer, I had to wait about 5 minutes for the installer to load. The installer was running, but it was not doing anything. How do I know this? I loaded up Task Manager, and watched the installer via the Processes tab Like I said, it finally loaded, but it took is good 'ole sweet time.

My Advice: Load the installer without any compatibility, and open Task Manager, click the processes tab, and wait. Like I said it took about 5 minutes for me, but it should not take longer than 10 minutes for it to load up. If longer than that, something else is wrong.

Oh, and here is a link to get LR running on Win7: http://www.rockraidersunited.org/index.php?/topic/1006-running-LEGO-racers-1-on-win7/page__pid__60427__st__20#entry60427

My post on that topic is near the bottom.

JrMasterModelBuilder

If you have a disc-less copy, you might be able to skip installation all together. I never had to install it on Windows 7 and all I needed to get it to run was the -novideos param.

For my 7, the installer didn't work at first. I tried opening it like 20 times, nothing happened. I took the disc out of the drive, assuming it wasn't going to install, and then browsed the internet for a while. I eventually closed out Chrome (like 15 minutes after I had tried to launch the installer) and boom, I was swarmed with 20 instances of the installer saying that the disc wasn't in the drive. I put the disc back in, launched the installer once more, then it worked fine. Go figure.

I have LEGO Racers 1 installed on Win7. The installer does run, without any compatibility. But, I did have some trouble with the installer on another Vista computer.

You see, On Win 7, when I clicked the installer. it loaded right up. But on a Windows Vista computer, I had to wait about 5 minutes for the installer to load. The installer was running, but it was not doing anything. How do I know this? I loaded up Task Manager, and watched the installer via the Processes tab Like I said, it finally loaded, but it took is good 'ole sweet time.

My Advice: Load the installer without any compatibility, and open Task Manager, click the processes tab, and wait. Like I said it took about 5 minutes for me, but it should not take longer than 10 minutes for it to load up. If longer than that, something else is wrong.

Oh, and here is a link to get LR running on Win7: http://www.rockraide...__20#entry60427

My post on that topic is near the bottom.

Whenever I run the installer, the process closes immediatly. Hence the results in the command prompt.

I checked in task manager too, and I just double checked now.

If you have a disc-less copy, you might be able to skip installation all together. I never had to install it on Windows 7 and all I needed to get it to run was the -novideos param.

How do I skip the installation? I have it installed on no other computer.

Additionally, I have no idea what version I have. I -think- diskless.

For my 7, the installer didn't work at first. I tried opening it like 20 times, nothing happened. I took the disc out of the drive, assuming it wasn't going to install, and then browsed the internet for a while. I eventually closed out Chrome (like 15 minutes after I had tried to launch the installer) and boom, I was swarmed with 20 instances of the installer saying that the disc wasn't in the drive. I put the disc back in, launched the installer once more, then it worked fine. Go figure.

Just tried this, did nothing.

Should I have mentioned it's 64 bit windows 7?

Maybe. But,I have it running on Win 7 64-bit too, and the installer ran for me. Like I said, it took about 5 minutes for it to load under Vista, but it loaded right up in 7.

Have you tried running it in XP SP2 compatibility mode? People have reported being able to run LR1 in that mode, maybe you can try that.

Wait a minute. Are you trying to install LR1 or LR2? There is something in the LR2 installer about not installing on a system with more than 2GB of RAM in it. It will run with more than 2GB, but it will not install. I just told Jamesster how to install LR2 on a computer with more than 2GB.

@Moderators Are external links allowed here? I have a link to a Microsoft Forum that talks about LR2, and if addictgamer is trying to install LR2, I would like to be able to provide that link.

Maybe. But,I have it running on Win 7 64-bit too, and the installer ran for me. Like I said, it took about 5 minutes for it to load under Vista, but it loaded right up in 7.

Thing is, if it were to pop up ever, it wouldn't have immediately exited in the command prompt. And I gave it around half an hour to do anything anyway.

Have you tried running it in XP SP2 compatibility mode? People have reported being able to run LR1 in that mode, maybe you can try that.

The launcher does nothing when I click "Install". So, I assumed setup.exe required compatibility modes.

...I went through all of them, and nothing's happened.

Wait a minute. Are you trying to install LR1 or LR2? There is something in the LR2 installer about not installing on a system with more than 2GB of RAM in it. It will run with more than 2GB, but it will not install. I just told Jamesster how to install LR2 on a computer with more than 2GB.

LR1.

@Moderators Are external links allowed here? I have a link to a Microsoft Forum that talks about LR2, and if addictgamer is trying to install LR2, I would like to be able to provide that link.

They are.

Ok.Thank for the info.

Since you are doing LR1, the link is not needed then.

Perhaps you can post a picture of your disc? Some copies of LR1 run disc-less, and maybe yours is one of them. There is another topic talking about LR1,and many people has posted pictures and said if their copy need the disc or not. Maybe yours doesn't need it, and you could copy the files off the disc.

Ok. I haven't seen that disc....

I have found a way to get the game files off the disc without installing the game. You see, all the files found where ever you install the game are found in a .CAB file. The CAB file is an InstallShield CAB, so Windows cannot open it. You will need a program called Uniextract.

http://legroom.net/software/uniextract

Download the portable version, extract that (yea, extract an extractor.), and your almost there. Put in your disc,and copy the "data1.cab"and the "data1.hdr" file to your hard drive. Run Uniextract, and point it to the CAB file. Let it extract, and you will then have all the game files. Rename the folder to want you want, and put it where you want.

Then run the exe. If your game is disc-less, then it will run without a hitch. If it says that it needs the disc, put it in and try again. If that doesn't work... well, then I do not know.

The game should run without any compatibility, but I would add the -novideo parameter to a shortcut to the game to fix a weird bug with the videos.

Let me know what happens!

JrMasterModelBuilder

How do I skip the installation? I have it installed on no other computer.

Additionally, I have no idea what version I have. I -think- diskless.

Ok. I haven't seen that disc....

I have found a way to get the game files off the disc without installing the game. You see, all the files found where ever you install the game are found in a .CAB file. The CAB file is an InstallShield CAB, so Windows cannot open it. You will need a program called Uniextract.

http://legroom.net/software/uniextract

Download the portable version, extract that (yea, extract an extractor.), and your almost there. Put in your disc,and copy the "data1.cab"and the "data1.hdr" file to your hard drive. Run Uniextract, and point it to the CAB file. Let it extract, and you will then have all the game files. Rename the folder to want you want, and put it where you want.

Then run the exe. If your game is disc-less, then it will run without a hitch. If it says that it needs the disc, put it in and try again. If that doesn't work... well, then I do not know.

The game should run without any compatibility, but I would add the -novideo parameter to a shortcut to the game to fix a weird bug with the videos.

Let me know what happens!

Not sure I could have said it better myself. Actually, I couldn't! Thanks for telling us about that extractor! I was never able to find one!

Just moments ago 37 instances of LEGO Racer's installer appeared out of nowhere several hours into the windows boot.

WTF?

I don't even...

The CD is nowhere near the computer 8S

Just moments ago 37 instances of LEGO Racer's installer appeared out of nowhere several hours into the windows boot.

WTF?

I don't even...

Could be stuck in the memory...maybe a process was causing it to not load, but when you reset the computer (thus killing it), it was finally able to load?

On 9/6/2011 at 12:52 PM, Cirevam said:

You weren't looking hard enough. There has been one on this website for about a month: https://ore.rockraidersunited.org/misc/universalextractor_111687.zip

I even wrote a tutorial on how to salvage your LRR game with it: https://www.rockraidersunited.com/topic/2843-installer-not-working-you-can-salvage-your-game

On 9/8/2011 at 7:23 PM, Cyrem said:

I even wrote a tutorial on how to salvage your LRR game with it: https://www.rockraidersunited.com/topic/2843-installer-not-working-you-can-salvage-your-game

I also wrote a tutorial, but for LR1!

https://www.rockraidersunited.com/topic/3005-LEGO-racers-12-faq/

BTW, I didn't know you had wrote one until after I wrote mine. I didn't know they were the same...

On 9/8/2011 at 5:06 PM, addictgamer said:

I don't even...

That...is...weird. That Did not happen to me on Vista!

WTF?

I don't even...

Sounds like what happened to me...

Could be stuck in the memory...maybe a process was causing it to not load, but when you reset the computer (thus killing it), it was finally able to load?

Could not be.

The BIOS clears RAM on startup.

Second of all, there have been many reboots since then, both into linux and windows. Why didn't it happen any other of those times?

This is just bizarre - What the heck, Windows? I'd expect you to work properly.

WTF?

I don't even...

Could be a RAM overloader. I've made tame versions of those things to simulate the effects of viruses without causing damage, including one back on Windows 98 that would start 20 instances of an old, useless (and RAM intensive) cosmetic program called DeskFlag.

No clue. Maybe it was set to run at certain time and date? All the ones I made were designed to run trojan-style and on command, for ease of use to teach people how to determine if their computer has a virus.

So then, LEGO racer's setup.exe is a ram overloader that is set to run several days later?

That's what I've understood so far.

All I know is that I'll finally be installing racers today :D

No, there is likely another program that's causing the problem. A RAM overloader starts up multiple instances of itself OR another program.

To see what I mean just type start about fifty times into notepad, save it as a batch file, and run it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.