Fixing The Ai Voices.

Oboe Shoes

Ooook. I'm not sure what HVS was smoking when they coded this, but it must have been some pretty good stuff, seeing as by default, only one ai character uses the correct voice.

Each circuit (not including mirror versions) has a .sbk file accociated with it, listing all the voice files that should be used during the circuit. The game actually chooses the voices based on the text of these files, so they're not just references.

The sbk for Circuit 1/4 is written like so:

gb_n07.pcm
gb_n13.pcm
gb_n20.pcm
gb_n23.pcm
gb_n29.pcm
gb_n67.pcm
gb_p23.pcm
gb_p36.pcm
gb_p80.pcm
gb_p91.pcm
gb_p95.pcm
gb_p101.pcm
rh_n04.pcm
rh_n19.pcm
rh_n22.pcm
rh_n31.pcm
rh_n42.pcm
rh_n44.pcm
rh_p22.pcm
rh_p25.pcm
rh_p28.pcm
rh_p30.pcm
rh_p33.pcm
rh_p37.pcm
ad_n13.pcm
ad_n33.pcm
ad_n35.pcm
ad_n39.pcm
ad_n46.pcm
ad_n99.pcm
ad_p09.pcm
ad_p11.pcm
ad_p16.pcm
ad_p30.pcm
ad_p31.pcm
ad_p37.pcm
pm_n33.pcm
pm_n36.pcm
pm_n50.pcm
pm_n54.pcm
pm_n55.pcm
pm_n64.pcm
pm_p12.pcm
pm_p15.pcm
pm_p55.pcm
pm_p62.pcm
pm_p80.pcm
pm_p108.pcm
cr_n02.pcm
cr_n09.pcm
cr_n16.pcm
cr_n32.pcm
cr_n34.pcm
cr_n50.pcm
cr_p05.pcm
cr_p13.pcm
cr_p16.pcm
cr_p17.pcm
cr_p20.pcm
cr_p36.pcm
jt_n00.pcm
jt_n01.pcm
jt_n04.pcm
jt_n05.pcm
jt_n11.pcm
jt_n19.pcm
jt_p06.pcm
jt_p07.pcm
jt_p10.pcm
jt_p13.pcm
jt_p14.pcm
jt_p16.pcm

Each racer is set up to use a certain 12 lines of text from these files, however, for whatever reason, the racers don't use the correct lines of text in the files. At first glance, the solution seems easy. Just rearange the lines of text in the files, right? Wrong. e394002.png

Some racers mistakenly try to use the same lines of text from the files, causing them to have the same voice no matter what you change it to. Circuit 1 has one such instance, and it only gets worse from there.

I've done some testing, and i've figured out which racer uses which voice by default: (Note: each entry is 12 lines of text, entry 1 being the first 12, and so on.

Circuit 1/4 (Uses VOICEC0.sbk)

Captain Redbeard uses Johnny Thunder (entry 6)
Governor Broadside uses Mummy (entry 4)
Robin Hood uses Captain Redbeard (entry 5)
Ann Droid uses Robin Hood (entry 2)
Mummy uses Ann Droid (entry 3)
Johnny Thunder uses Ann Droid (entry 3)

Circuit 2/5 (uses VOICEC1.sbk)

King Kahuka uses None (Will use Entry 7 if added)
Islander uses Royal King (entry 2)
Royal King uses Commander Cold (entry 3)
Commander Cold uses Royal King (entry 2)
Achu uses Baron Von Barron (entry 6)
Baron Von Baron uses Royal King (entry 2)

Circuit 3/6 (uses VOICEC2.sbk)

Basil uses Alpha Dragonis (entry 4)
Willa the Witch uses BlackJack Hawkins (entry 2)
BlackJack Hawkins uses BlackJack Hawkins (entry 2) (The ONLY AI racer to use the correct voice by default!)
Sam Sinister uses Basil (entry 5)
Alpha Dragonis uses BlackJack Hawkins (entry 2)
Gypsy Moth uses Basil (entry 5)

Circuit 7 (Should use VOICEC3.sbk, but instead uses VOICEC1.sbk)

Rocket Racer uses Royal King (entry 2)
Admiral uses Achu (entry 4)
Black Knight uses Commander Cold (entry 3)
Gail Storm uses Royal King (entry 2)
Nova Hunter uses none (Will use entry 7 of VOICEC1.sbk if added)
Veronica Voltage uses ??? (Veronica Voltage is listed as the sixth racer for circuit 7, but you never actually race her, so...)

Anyway, I've altered my own files to fix the voices the best I could, but due to the shared voices and circuit 7 just being completely broken, I can't fix it completely.

You can help by joining me in the search for the files that actually control which racer uses which line of text from the sbk files, and pray that it's not hard coded. e394002.png

• Like 1

...This is just insane. What is wrong with these people? Surley they couldn't have screwed up this bad. Just..what

Johnny Thunder uses Ann Droid (entry 3)

King Kahuka uses THE "3 2 1, GO" COUNTDOWN NOISE (entry ???)

Gypsy Moth uses Basil (entry 5)

Admiral uses Achu (entry 4)

Gail Storm uses Royal King (entry 2)

k. looks like they were called High Voltage for a reason.

This always annoyed me, but I never realized it was that messed up. Does rocket racer even have a voice to use?

I think the makers were...

• 11 months later...
Noob Slayer

I'd like to fix this problem on my own, I've noticed it too...but can someone please explain how once it's all figured out?

Mr. Eight-Three-One

Yep. If you can somehow manage to put SOUND EFFECTS as a voice, something went really wrong.

From what a TV Troper wrote, this only affects the PC version as well. Is there someone able to clarify this?

Yep. If you can somehow manage to put SOUND EFFECTS as a voice, something went really wrong.

From what a TV Troper wrote, this only affects the PC version as well. Is there someone able to clarify this?

I think the PS1 version uses the correct voices. But I'm still not sure. Sometimes it sounds the same as the PC version (which the whole game sorta is) and sometimes it sounds right.

The N64 version, though...well...

Captain Redbeard uses Johnny Thunder

Mummy uses Captain Redbeard (different from PC)

Rob-N-Hood uses some voice that says "oh yeah"

and that's as far as I bothered. The controls are awkward for slamming headfirst into people.

Of course, I could just not recognize the voices, but I'm pretty certain Redbeard doesn't sound like that.

Noob Slayer

Captain Redbeard uses Johnny Thunder's voice in all 3 versions. King Kahuka uses some weird voice that goes WOO HOO everytime he gets a speed boost in n64 and ps1 versions. Basil uses Gypsy Moth in PS1. Johnny Thunder uses Captain Redbeard in N64. I'm not sure who Baron von Barron uses in n64 or PS1, but I know he uses Royal King in PC version, as stated in the topic post. Gypsy Moth uses Basil in all 3 versions. Rocket Racer uses Royal King in PC and N64, not sure about PS1. That's all I can clarify for now.

• Like 2

Yeah... I'm assuming that they screwed something up pretty badly, and figured it was too much of a bother to fix, and just hoped kids wouldn't notice.

Still, it'd be nice to figure out if this is fixable at all. I think I'll give it a look when I get back from vacation in a few days.

• 3 months later...

So I switched the VOICEC1 and VOICEC3 files and found out that:

Rocket Racer uses Admiral's voice

Admiral uses Nova Hunter's voice

Nova hunter uses the 3,2,1 sound

Gail storm uses Admiral's voice

Black knight uses Gail storm's voice

So nobody uses Rocket Racer's voice, Black knight's voice and Veronica Voltage's voice.

Gail storm uses Admiral's voice
Too bad I couldn't hear that, but when it comes to being inappropriate, it probably can't compete with "Black-Jack Hawkins the WItch" or "Willa the Pirate" anyway...

Admittedly, I have no idea what the Black Knight guy is supposed to sound like anyway, since I have no idea who he is underneath that helmet, so maybe he's a woman in disguise after all. At least that would have made for a fine twist.

Admittedly, I have no idea what the Black Knight guy is supposed to sound like anyway, since I have no idea who he is underneath that helmet, so maybe he's a woman in disguise after all. At least that would have made for a fine twist.

The Black Knight is a Castle character introduced in 1984, originally the leader of the Black Falcons - he's very well established as male. :P

Cas194.jpg

Black_knight.jpg

Since the red-bearded head is not available in LR, I take it he sports that generic standard-smiley-face underneath his helmet? Also, I'm pretty sure that his LR incarnation uses a Fright Knights torso instead of the one seen in your photographs.

Since the red-bearded head is not available in LR, I take it he sports that generic standard-smiley-face underneath his helmet? Also, I'm pretty sure that his LR incarnation uses a Fright Knights torso instead of the one seen in your photographs.

Really? I thought for sure I saw the red-bearded head in the character creator... Maybe it was just a similar one. And yes, his torso is different.

• 1 month later...

So I changed the number in VOICEC1 from 72 to 84 and copied King Kahuka's voice files under Baron von Barron's voice files and it worked! King Kahuka is using his voice! Looks like the game didn't find the voice files because it searched on the wrong place.But he is still doing the 3,2,1 sound.Looks like the sound is not used as his voice, but as his horn.I don't know how to fix that.Oh, and this is Black Knight's face:

BK_zps7a3538f2.png

So I changed the number in VOICEC1 from 72 to 84 and copied King Kahuka's voice files under Baron von Barron's voice files and it worked! King Kahuka is using his voice! Looks like the game didn't find the voice files because it searched on the wrong place.But he is still doing the 3,2,1 sound.Looks like the sound is not used as his voice, but as his horn.I don't know how to fix that.Oh, and this is Black Knight's face:

BK_zps7a3538f2.png

Wow, that's pretty weird and great. Weird for the whole mixed up KK thing, but you still fixed half of it!

• 3 weeks later...

The only thing we would have to change is which files they use. So we actually have to be able to change the order of who uses which entry. But unfortunately I think that this is hardcoded and so we can not fix the multiple-entry-use fail. 8S

Yeah... This is still pretty FUBAR. However, I just noticed the post about King Kahuka. I guess it makes more sense that the sound effect was his horn, as he only ever emitted it when bumped into. So there's that.

EDIT: Just tried something. Applying the same fix to the Circuit 1 sbk file will also fix the voice of King Kahuka during the demo races.

• 2 months later...

I think it's hardcoded,because none of the VOICEC files have any information on to what entry will be used with each racer - it just lists what files each entry has.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.