Cornered.

apemax

Pretty cool mission, a little easy but it was fun to play :)

Thanks. I'll have to make it harder for the next version. :)

• 1 year later...

Actually, the download link is broken. If you would read the original post, you would see that the link says RRUBucket but goes to the old download area.

But thanks for the fix.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I know this map is over a year old, but I just played it (and it's one of the first custom maps I have played), and definitely enjoyed it - great job! I like how you really do feel cornered to begin with, and have to drill your way out to access more energy crystals - by which time Rock Monsters are charging you from every direction, and the new cavern's so big you can't locate them all :D Yes, it's not the hardest of maps, but I felt like playing a casual-yet-fun level, and this fitted the bill.

Here's a screenshot of my base in the level - as it's one of the first custom maps I've played, I haven't had much chance to mess around with huge bases, so forgive me if it's nothing to be excited about:

gallery_5738_269_91764.png

• 4 weeks later...

Apemax, hope you don't mind. I updated your file to:

- Include a Map Creator source.

- Moved the Camera up 1 block.

- Fixed some hidden area that was on walls.

- Added basic objective text.

- Removed the Level24 references so that it can easily put in a Custom Map Slot without replacing the original Level 24 (I have left in some parts of the CFG commented so that Level24 can still be replaced)

- Updated Readme with instructions for both installs.

• 4 years later...
  • Administrators
ShadowDraikana

Here are my thoughts on the map:

Difficulty: Easy

It's very easy to get going on this mission, as there is no shortage of crystals.  Even with my mod's high costs for everything, there simply wasn't much of a way to waste my resources.  

You really do feel cornered early on, as the initial cavern is quite small.  To be honest, it also makes defending the base a lot easier since you can just plunk down fences in the bottlenecks and practically ignore the monsters.  

The first cavern I opened was the one to the north.  Instead of trying to track down the emerge points, I reinforced everything and tried to focus on getting crystals.  Then I happened upon the northwest cave filled with lava.  Two things caught my eye here: 1. The lava erosion is almost pointless to have since it covers a very small area.  2. You had placed pre-eroded squares on walls.  This is a major no-no, mainly because the wall shows up as a black space and registers as lava when the cursor hovers over it.

When I tried cutting through the block in the middle of the large northern cave, I was quickly greeted by a mission complete teleport out.  Apparently, the npl has an incorrect value for the needed number of crystals (100) for mission completion.  

I didn't even get to the other caves to the east, so I really can't say anything about them.  Although, I did peek at them with the map creator.  Only possible issue there could be with the slug hole placement, as they may be too far away.

Overall, it a nice, casual map that I enjoyed playing (mainly because it is difficult to find all the emerge points :P).

• 1 month later...

@Slimy Slug,

I had honestly completely forgot I made this map, Well thanks for the feedback, If I manage to get around to setting up the tools and editing this I will definitely fix what you noticed and take what you've said into account for the next version.

Thanks for playing it. :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators
ShadowDraikana

@apemax Just a heads up, I gave this map another playthrough last night and noticed the slugs never emerge at all.  On a hunch, I looked at your npl and didn't see a slug script.  So, if you want slugs you should probably move the holes closer to the base and in a script for them.

Additionally, I think you could probably have a higher crystal goal with the number present in the map.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.