First Operating System To Have A Clipboard.

JrMasterModelBuilder

JrMasterModelBuilder

This question crossed my mind the other day and, very unusually, Google was unable to answer it for me. It's more of a curiosity than anything, but does anybody happen to know the first operating system to have a system clipboard?

This sounds like a thinly disguised test/project/etc question. Oh well. It doesn't sound like something would be recorded in the history books though. One would think the first OS that had keyboard shortcuts though.

Addictgamer

I'm going to assume it's windows 3.0 or something, since Linux in a tty has no clipboard afaik, thus meaning Unix didn't either.

Minifig9292

I keep thinking windows 2.0, for some reason being the first to have the "Control Panel" makes me think it had the first copy/paste features as well. I dunno.

Probably Windows 3.0.

And if someone comes up with the official answer as being Windows ME, there will be no barbie for them...

JrMasterModelBuilder

Windows 2.0 definitely had a clipboard: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_2.0

Is it at all possible that a Macintosh was the first?

Strange. Considering it's probably one of the greatest ideas of all computing, if it were my idea, I would be bragging about it.

My Dad has a friend that might know, I'll have him ask next time he sees him.

He's worked with some pretty robust operating systems before windows, that never made it to market, that might have had one.

You're all insane. The first OS to properly use the desktop metaphor as we know it was the Xerox Alto/Star, which also included the now ubiquitous mouse, clipboard, keyboard shortcuts, ect.

Which Apple copied, and then everyone copied it.

Before that point most TEXT EDITORS had it, though I don't know if it was system-wide as most are now.

Also Unix doesn't have a system wide clipboard because it wasn't designed or built to be single user. You were SUPPOSED To access it through a remote terminal, which would have it's OWN copy and paste buffer.

LOL 1973 computer with a GUI and mouse xD

The screen is very odd on it, it's display is very sharp and it looks like...paper. It's just black or white. Interesting...

What's also funny about that computer is that it uses a 16 bit microcontroller based off of a TI processor.

You're all insane. The first OS to properly use the desktop metaphor as we know it was the Xerox Alto/Star, which also included the now ubiquitous mouse, clipboard, keyboard shortcuts, ect.

Before that point most TEXT EDITORS had it, though I don't know if it was system-wide as most are now.

Also Unix doesn't have a system wide clipboard because it wasn't designed or built to be single user. You were SUPPOSED To access it through a remote terminal, which would have it's OWN copy and paste buffer.

Ah. I was thinking it was a Xerox thing, but I wasn't completely sure.

JrMasterModelBuilder

Ok, cool!

Just a quick thing...has anyone else noticed that there are two typos in the heading?

Yes, I did. I just can't fix it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.