• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheDoctor

• TheEPICtrainrider

• Cirevam

• Sonic322

TheEPICtrainrider

lol at 0:46 there all like OH SHI-

The shields are created with a electromagnetic field, it repels the iron in the meteors.

I was going to explain this using large words that make a fictional thing seem plausible, but Epic's explanation is a real one, so I'll just concur with him. Since you can deflect bullets with magnetic shields (given that it's strong enough), it makes sense to deflect asteroids using similar methods.

TheEPICtrainrider

the reason they lost power is because the shields are most likely not on all the time, but are automatically turned on when there is a incoming object. The shields were on for too long and along with the thrusters, it used up all the energy.

the reason they lost power is because the shields are most likely not on all the time, but are automatically turned on when there is a incoming object. The shields were on for too long and along with the thrusters, it used up all the energy.

No, the wormhole absorbed all the energy. You can see it happen in the movie.

if it absorbed all the energy they must have some reserves to teleport. but yea i agree with epic on this one, also they could temporarily over charge it. in halo you have sheilds but the explanation is you have a small fusion reactor in you backpack. the sheilds probibly didnt work because they were over loaded and the power that recarged them ran out.

Well, no, i dont think thats it.

You dont see the sheild all the time because the shield is not active all the time. You can see the shield deflecting the asteroid, but thats because the asteroid is within shield range.

I think that it is a kind of spring system. When force is applied, resistance is also applied by the shield. Like a segway, sort of...

The Segway is stabilized by a gyroscope. When the segway tilts one way, force is applied in the opposite way to stabilize it.

LSM Explorer:segway

shields:stability

object:tilt

Its the same concept.

Another thing,

The shields, as easy as it is, can't be electromagnetic. It just wont work.

In the video, when the asteroid hit, there was solid resistance. If the shields were electromagnetic, the asteroid would have curved away, or slowed down, changed direction, and continued on its merry way. An electromagnetic shield cant just halt an asteroid like that.

In the wiki, it says the shield is powered by some type of magnet. This also is a problem. Such a shield would form in an oval around the LMS Explorer. The video showed a separate shield region around the bridge. The kinetic energy was also somehow transfered from the asteroid, through the shield, to the bridge. How is this?

The only way for the shield to me electromagnetic is if the LMS explorer somehow exerted EXTREMELY precise EMP's (ElectroMagnetic Pulse) to the exact area where force is being applied. Plus, a shield that only repels asteroids with enough iron (or nickle or cobalt, both are also magnetic) would be sorta somewhat useless. Another thing, how would you make that blue-repulsor shield effect with an implied/applied shield?

The typical sci-fy shield is in use here. We dont have enough knowledge about such systems (due to their lack of existence) to really explain anything here. We can only make up stories about how.

I am kinda answering me own question here, but its been fun. Reply's welcome.

EDIT: ALSO... i intended "Rock Raiders shields" to be about the RR's personal shields. Any thoughts?

I think the personal shields don't really exist and are only there in the manual to make the game rated for kids. For one, you never see a shield effect, even in the FMV cutscene where Sparks is victim to a landslide. Two, the manual says that the shields can't be recharged, so if a shield runs out of energy the raider can't go back, but if you teleport them up before the shield runs out of juice it is recharged when you bring them back down. They're also recharged at the start of every mission. Third, when the shield runs low, the raider gets tired, to the point where he can take fifteen minutes bringing a piece of ore back to the base. This implies that the shield bar is really a health bar. When they run out of health, they are teleported to the infirmary and are out of commission whilst they're being healed, if they can be healed.

Maybe they have a shield that only offers partial protection so landslides don't OHKO them.

I think the personal shields don't really exist...

Maybe they have a shield that only offers partial protection so landslides don't OHKO them.

Yes, well, the personal shields of course wouldent be as powerfull as the LMS's. The ship has a massive power generator and can power such a shield. The RR's shields wouldnt be able to keep enough power to fully protect them from a landslide, they have a health bar. That means that they must have a set amount of power for the shields. Now, this could work in two different ways.

1. They have self contained personal shield generators. Battery and deployment system included.

or...

2. They have a deployment

That wont work. The tool store could deploy a power signal to power the personal shields, but due to Run the Gauntlet, and the fact that the tool store doesn't need an energy crystal to work, that theory is out the window.

The shields must be self contained.

As they lose power, the shields become less powerful and the RRs are subjected to the atmospheric pressure and other conditions (like temperature) and strain the rock raider. That would explain the constant sandwich cravings.

The reason they cant be recharged is because they don't have the power/technology to do so on the planet. The ship has much more power and tech to do so.

The shields also have to be somewhat malleable. When a monster picks up a RR, he grabs him. A bubble shield would need to stop a rock monster. Yeah right. It has to at least protect him from the fall.

In the case of Sparks, well, HE DIDNT DIE! Most RRs don't get buried by land slides.

Anyone else want a stab at me? :P

TheEPICtrainrider

unless he makes a speady recovery, but by that time the game is over and the lms explorer has gone back home.

ROCK RAIDERS DONT DIE!!!!!!!!

If their shield gets to low, they are automatically teleported back to the LMS Explorer.

Yeah, and Chief can definitely teleport raiders out quickly enough when they get blown to pieces from a brick of dynamite.

Of course. There's no counter-explanation like how Chief is really old and probably has bad reaction time with the teleport button. Even an automatic teleport system is fast enough to teleport an exploded raider out before he's turned into gibs despite dynamite damage being instantaneous.

No, incompentents, when a shield hits a low enough level, a failsafe is triped and and the Rock Raider is teleported back. The shield doesnt go out, they always are shielded, just when it gets too low, they are pulled out.

And really, with the LMS's technology, why wouldent the teleport be fast enough?

Oh wow, resorting to calling us incompetent when we're discussion how one interprets fiction. Yeah, that definitely makes us want to listen to your points whether you were joking or not.

Regardless, let's take a look at something you said earlier:

As they lose power, the shields become less powerful and the RRs are subjected to the atmospheric pressure and other conditions (like temperature) and strain the rock raider.

Okay, so a raider is standing next to a live brick of dynamite and it explodes in his face. The shield energy instantly drops and the raider is subjected to the heat and whatnot generated from the explosion, which strains his body even if it's just for a brief instant. Assuming that the teleporter protects the target molecules from being damaged during the teleport sequence through a sort of state preservation, we can deduce that the raider would feel the explosion's effects after being teleported back to the LMS_E, even if he didn't feel the effects right before being teleported. Pain signals do take time to travel from nerve cells to the brain after all.

So imagine standing next to an explosion or being squashed under a landslide, just starting to be subjected to heavy burns or having your bones crushed, then teleporting somewhere else and retaining the damage or at least the sensation of pain. They might not die, but I'll be darned if they don't have to be hospitalized in some situations.

Third, when the shield runs low, the raider gets tired, to the point where he can take fifteen minutes bringing a piece of ore back to the base.

That's what i meant by atmospheric pressure. It makes him tired.

Also i was too lazy to change the timestamp.

Also happy birthday.

InADarkMirror

Alright, going with this shields thing.

It'd be hit-and-miss, the way I see it. Sure, a shield could potentially save you. Then again, they have to have a maximum capacity for what they can absorb/deflect, right? So if, say, you were shot at (just an example btw), it could absorb those bullets. But if you have an entire ceiling dropped on you, that's going to be a lot of kinetic energy and pressure all at once. The shield might fail.

In that case, the teleporter becomes less "life-saving" and more "recovery system". The ship would probably have a hospital for people who got hurt when their shield failed but before they were teleported back up.

TheEPICtrainrider

or... the rock raiders could be painless clones who have no soal what so ever and jet, banit and all the rest of em are their supreme leaders. So if one gets killed they just make another one.

Just a thought :/

InADarkMirror

I think that whoever suggested that they're like a "spring" was probably correct. The shield forms a "bubble" around whatever it's protecting, but the bubble is subject to distortion, either without issue like when someone picks up something (the shield doesn't fight it, it bends/weakens to allow this) or by outside pressure, like a rock hitting it or falling off a cliff.

In the case of the shield applying resistance, it compresses around the point of impact and the force it exerts "solidifies", so that you get more and more resistance until it feels solid when it reaches it's maximum compression. Compressing drains power from the battery, and it's ability to oppose pressure weakens because of that. So, if something like a rock monster grabbed someone, the field would compress until it was just, say, a centimetre thick, and act like a shell. Depending how much force the rock monster exerted, the field might have to let some through the person gets crushed a bit. In extreme situations they could even be killed.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.