Damn Crystal Glitch!

the dude

Whenever i play a level with monsters, when a monster comes out, every single EC i have sudenly gets drained. this glitch makes levels like Back to Basics almost imposible. It happens on my modded game and my unmodded. I have no idea whats happening. a little help please? :/

Ugh, not this again. You wouldn't believe how many people get this.

Here's what I said to HuskyTwelve, since I wrote her a long essay about it when she had this issue:

...oh dear. You've become a victim of a well-known glitch.

See, there's this one glitch, the Infinite Laser Drain Glitch. When you have the ILDG, you can't use the laser beam gun. Doing so causes all your crystals to become drained. Now, you should be fine on Frozen Frenzy, due to the recharge seams (though recharging crystals is usually at the bottom of the priority list).
(spoiler contains levels with monsters)

Rock Hard, which has more monsters, will have them too It is, however, very inconvenient on Ice Spy, Back to Basics and Rocky Horror, which all have monsters (Rocky Horror has a Recharge Seam but it's in an obscure location), but not Lava Laughter and Hot Stuff (latter has recharge seams) because they have Lava Monsters which are killed faster by the freezer beam.

But, while this next part doesn't always happen for me when I get it, sometimes slugs emerging triggers the ILDG. I've only had it once on a custom level, so I think I broke something. However, as for the ILDG and Handheld Lasers, it's annoying.

How does this happen? Well... No one knows. It just does. Sometimes your WAD files may be infested with them, sometimes it won't happen at all. Heck, I copied some backup wads I made of my mod (the backups had ILDG, the current ones were corrupted), and the ILDG was gone even though said backup wads had been infected. It's completally random...sort of. When the set of WADs you have are glitched, they won't unglitch. If they aren't they won't glitch. Re-installing your game may bring them or drive them off. It's completaly random and no one knows how it works.

There is a mod to prevent them, though. You have to edit a cfg line. If you haven't gotten to that yet, then for now use pusher beams, freezer beams and electric fences. And recharge seams.

Also, you CAN complete Frozen Frenzy without Crystals, just use dynamite.

Oboe Shoes

In the CFG, find this:

WeaponTypes {				;SlowDeath	<initial damage percentage of normal damage>:<duration>

Lazer {

SlowDeath		3.0:10.0

DefaultDamage		1.0

RechargeTime		30.0
Add
DischargeRate	0.0

on the line directly under rechargetime.

This should fix it.

Thanks guys :D . This has happened a ton when i instaled LRR onto my crap Vista so i was wondering what was wrong. I shall now mod my CFG. thanks!

There's something else you could try; downgrade from s***sta to XP. Much better on your health and your hardware!

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
ExtremeDude2

In the CFG, find this:

WeaponTypes {				;SlowDeath	<initial damage percentage of normal damage>:<duration>

Lazer {

DefaultDamage		1.0

RechargeTime		30.0
Add
DischargeRate	0.0

This should fix it.

I have done this to my .cfg ^^ let's see if it works :3

• 1 year later...
RoofedSpade96

I tried to do this, changed the line of code (changed it in Notepad) and upon trying to save it, it says "Access is denied" what have I done wrong?

RoofedSpade96

In the CFG, find this:

Lazer {
			DefaultDamage		1.0
			RechargeTime		30.0

Add

DischargeRate	0.0

This should fix it.

I completed all the instructions, I edited it using Notepad and it will not allow me to save to file. Do I need to use a different editor? Or is my computer(Vista ) just Evil?

You're doing exactly what you should be doing to edit the file, but your computer is evil. I'm guessing you installed the game into C:Program Files (x86) or someplace similar. Vista locks down that folder hard which makes modding Rock Raiders rather difficult. Move your LRR install folder to the desktop or someplace else where Vista doesn't ask for UAC permission all the time.

• Like 2

RoofedSpade96

You're doing exactly what you should be doing to edit the file, but your computer is evil. I'm guessing you installed the game into C:Program Files (x86) or someplace similar. Vista locks down that folder hard which makes modding Rock Raiders rather difficult. Move your LRR install folder to the desktop or someplace else where Vista doesn't ask for UAC permission all the time.

I did that, moved the LRR files back into the correct place, and now the game will not even start. What can I do?

• 3 weeks later...

I know it's been a while, but if you're still having this problem, make sure you didn't accidentally save the file as a .txt instead of leaving it a .cfg

(When saving, make sure "All types (*.*)" is selected)

• 5 weeks later...

What can I do?

Probably re-install RR, 'cause the registry and shortcuts might then throw hissy fits. If you really want to keep all your upgraded raiders, copy the 'Saves' file (under Data) to somewhere else and then put it back.

• 2 weeks later...
Sceadugengan

I've created an account here to fix the bug mentioned in the first post and have now all done.

Last thing to do is repack the wad-file, but somehow it just won't do it.

cmd tells me something about "error 3"; cannot find path "wad1credits.txt" (wad1 = source folder).

Has anyone got an idea on how to fix this? D:

You can always take all of the folders from your extracted LegoRR0 and LegoRR1 folders and put them in the Data folder, making sure to do LegoRR0 first. Then move or rename your WAD files and you can play the game without ever compiling new WADs.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.