High-Poly Chrome Crusher

karsten

This is really awesome. I hate to be the critic, and I seem to do that often, but I just don't like the idea of having lots of 24-sided studs/round pieces on the Chrome Crusher. Siz or eight would be a better number to work with, in my opinion, and doing so would also make those stupid triangle smoothing errors on the top of the studs go away.

This is really awesome. I hate to be the critic, and I seem to do that often, but I just don't like the idea of having lots of 24-sided studs/round pieces on the Chrome Crusher. Siz or eight would be a better number to work with, in my opinion, and doing so would also make those stupid triangle smoothing errors on the top of the studs go away.

Iknow but you say this every time i now i think i now it now :P but, i will check if it looks better i now that you need to use numeric but for people who don't like the studs you can chose the version without.

But thx that you find it great :)

Is the top of the stud one polygon with many vertices or did you cut it up into quads/triangles? Game engines will try to turn every piece of geometry into triangles, so using polygons with more than four vertices means the engine has to cut the model up into triangles. This can give ugly results and might be the reason why the smoothing isn't looking good at the top.

In other words, use triangles and quad polygons only, preferrably quad polygons.

The game will crash if it tries to load models that have anything other than triangles. Generally, any round surface that has multiple sides will slice up laterally. I can only think of a few methods to triangulate a round surface and maintain a good look.

Yeah I guess it's a bit of an old engine so it doesn't triangulate models itself. Doesn't matter though, most 3d programs today can triangulate models with one click.

The game will crash if it tries to load models that have anything other than triangles. Generally, any round surface that has multiple sides will slice up laterally. I can only think of a few methods to triangulate a round surface and maintain a good look.

The game loads quads fine, and anything other than triangles or quads is not shown; it doesn't crash the game. I don't know what you mean 'will slice up laterally'. You can simply 6 quads to make a decent looking round surface as long as the surface smoothing property is applied.

Look at the top of the 3D studs in the top picture. That's how automatic triangulation handles circular surfaces, which isn't the best for LRR... and that's also what I mean by laterally... might be the wrong word but I doubt there's actually a technical word for it either.

Those triangles at the top of the studs are a result of the program trying to triangulate a 24-gon, and then the game trying to smooth it out. I would at least manually make the triangulated 24-gon into quads that span parallel rather than a fan of triangles. I always make sure there are no non-planar polygons or polygons with more than 4 verticies, and try to make quads whenever I can.

Smoothing out horizontal quads is easier than smoothing out triangles that all span out from the same point.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...
On 1/8/2017 at 10:16 AM, Cyrem said:

Hopefully, this is the correct file: http://oresome.rockraidersunited.com/download/453

Most of Karsten's High Poly Mods have broken download links - do you happen to have them all lurking on some obscure backup drive somewhere? :P His High-Poly overhaul is IIRC complete but when files have already been changed it's much easier to load them individually.

edit: happy? :P

2 hours ago, aidenpons said:

do you happen to have them all lurking on some obscure backup drive somewhere? l405G.jpg

KILL THAT TONGUE SMIL- why yes I do (mostly).

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
On 1/13/2018 at 6:11 PM, Darkestnoir said:

Hey carsten,      

i ported you're files so its now compatible with Cyrem's Cafeteria mod manager.

Link: http://www20.zippyshare.com/v/8yI3VaoK/file.html

I don't know how the file database work on this forum. It would be nice when a CM can add this to it.

link is dead, anyone posted it on the forum?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.