Rr2

Croza

Firstly, i apologize if this is in the wrong forum, it doesn't quite fit anywhere...

Since it's been the holidays, and i've been bored, i decided to make a map viewer for RR. I got the maps loaded with relative ease (thank god for the easy map format) and that got me thinking; how hard would it be to program an 'old' game such as Rock Raiders?

Early images:

First upload:

rr1la.jpg

Very early map loading.

rr4px.jpg

Picture showing different map and the white cube pathfinding to the red arrow.

Gravity and map loading:

multiuq.jpg

Map loading

gravity.jpg

Gravity!

Newest Pictures:

rr22.jpg

I know it says we use our own textures, but i'm just using the original RR ones cause they look the best, and if you already own the games, you can use them happy.png

rr21.jpg

Currently included and 'working':

• Map loading (Heightmap, surface, and resources. A file converter is included to convert map formats from the original to RR2's map format.)
  • Camera
  • Mouse selection
  • Units
  • Pathfinding (Land, air and water)
  • Buildings
  • Ore and Energy Crystals
  • Mining walls - including 'falling' walls (units moving to drill yet to be implemented, will come with priorities)

Things being working on currently:

• Picking up items
  • More building stuff
  • Priorities and job assignment
  • Drill times
  • GUI
  • Increased modability (important one)

Things yet to be attempted to get to work:

• Monsters
  • Menus
  • Action Stations
  • Building studs

Note that this isn't trying to be like ORR by making a new game, it is trying to be a remake of the original game. When the basis of the game is done, then (if i still have the effort to) i will think about putting in new features.

Change of target:

RR2 will not replica Rock Raiders to the exact detail, it will aim to be as close to Rock Raiders as it can be, while both tweaking the gameplay and controls slightly for ease of use. However, RR2's focus will still remain strongly on its modability. It will aim to be easily modable without editing the python code (using config files), while still being easily modable inside the python files for more advanced or drastic changes, the idea of this being that moding will be available to all users, not just for the more computer minded ones.

RR2 is written in Python, using the Panda3d game engine. If anyone wants the source, just PM me (the code is very messy at the moment) we now have a repository (see below). All help accepted :)

Our repository is here

Latest release: here

Edits:

Edit 1:

Added more up-to date images and the repository, as well as the first pre-alpha release.

Old edits 2:

Repository and downloads removed, to make way for Git which should make source easy to share, and more importantly get it to work.

Edit 3:

Git is now up and running.

Edit 4:

Updated the repository, again, for the ease of developing.

Working in implementing a height, and with that the drawing of the models (walls etc.)

We also have had to make our own textures (for copyright reasons -_- ) which is quite annoying to say the least...

Edit 5:

Walls are now drawn using the game engine and a height map (similar to the original game format), this proves that it can be done (very messily).

Yet another rewrite is under way, tiding things up and changing other stuff to make it more practical and efficient ^_^

Edit 6:

Complete re-write of the map loading, and first pre-release :af:

Edit 7:

Mining, units, very basic buildings, ore and energy crystals. Hopefully a release of a very early test level to come some time in the near future, which will involve collecting some energy crystals or something like that...

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Croza

• je007

• Phoenyx

• Anonymouse

Wait, so is this a new game entirley you're making? Or a hack edit of the original DDI-published game?

This isn't a new game in idea - it is Rock Raiders, but just in python, so it could be edited to be a new game.

Wait, so is this a new game entirley you're making? Or a hack edit of the original DDI-published game?

This isn't a new game in idea - it is Rock Raiders, but just in python, so it could be edited to be a new game.

...so again I repeat myself: Is this an entirley new game you are creating, or are you editing the original DDI-published game?

I'm thinking it's former, but if it's the latter then this is illegal you know

...so again I repeat myself: Is this an entirley new game you are creating, or are you editing the original DDI-published game?I'm thinking it's former, but if it's the latter then this is illegal you know

Yes, it's a whole new game, i'm not editing the original software, i'm re-writing it with a different game engine.

Think of it like ORR, but without the added features.

Oh nice! This sounds like ORR-D. A lot. And it even looks similar. And it's in the same language. And both of these appear to have similar progress.

Anyway, I'd have posted this in member share...Doesn't matter now. I'll leave it here.

I wish you good luck!

Sounds like what I called ORR-Origin--nerw engine, same data files. If I were to go into making mine, it would be in C++.

I would write it in C++, but i don't know it beyond printing stuff on the terminal and the syntax is too confusing :P

You know this is really showing some good stuff. I'd invest in this. :P

Oh, and i corrected a bug making the word render a square to the left, and i think that maps different shaped than a square can be loaded now (if made weirdly).

RR2 is written in Python, using the Panda3d game engine. If anyone wants the source, just PM me (the code is very messy at the moment). All help accepted :)

Did you write it all from scratch?

[edit]: are you going to make it open-source as well?

Read all of a person's post before you ask questions about it.

RR2 is written in Python, using the Panda3d game engine. If anyone wants the source, just PM me (the code is very messy at the moment). All help accepted :)

Did you write it all from scratch?

[edit]: are you going to make it open-source as well?

Read all of a person's post before you ask questions about it.

my bad.

Gravity? You mean objects will stay on the ground, or if objects are in they air they'll fall and/or crash into the ground?

Gravity? You mean objects will stay on the ground, or if objects are in they air they'll fall and/or crash into the ground?

If they have a mass, both (hopefully) :satisfied:

Although it might become a bit of a pain putting the nodes on everything... meh.

It would be interesting if you could add impact damage to ground tiles. (like dynamite would crumble a wall and simultaneously create a crater in the ground. :P )

It would be interesting if you could add impact damage to ground tiles. (like dynamite would crumble a wall and simultaneously create a crater in the ground. :P )

Nice idea :D but at the moment i am only trying to get the original game stuff working...

The extras will come later ;P

Fluffy Cupcake
(thank god for the easy map format)
I'm not sure if that is something I would thank God for. :P :lol:

(thank god for the easy map format)
I'm not sure if that is something I would thank God for. :P:lol:

Having said that i have since managed to get it all wrong, and all i can work out now is which squares are walls and which aren't...

Why did i have to say that? :P

Fluffy Cupcake

Because at the time it seemed easy. (starting a sentence with a because and not using a comma in it is not a complete sentance) Maybe at the time it seemed easy.

update:

Original map loading from the Surf.map file is now done.

Working on re-instating pathfinding with the proper map loading.

Addictgamer

Update:

Pathfinding worked, ish. :)

Final map loading complete (lots of lists involved). Next step to 'smooth' corners.

Awesome! :D

Looking at this fast progress, I'm guessing there's going to be an alpha out soon? :whistle:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.