Review: 7327 Scorpion Pyramid

STUDZ

7327 Scorpion Pyramid

Review by McStudz

Hey RRU.

I've decided to put my LEGO review of a set I got for Christmas here, before I put the same one on BZPower. Just be sure to tell me what you think of the review, and also, please ask any questions you have on the set!

SO, after all the blood, sweat and tears (or at least, sweat and tears) involved in the making of this review... THERE WILL BE NO ADDED PICTURES! Since I can't put up all of my pictures on this post, I'll give you a link to my Brickshelf Gallery: http://www.brickshel...ry.cgi?f=455931

Enjoy!

LEGO Set # 7327 Scorpion Pyramid Review (Pharaoh's Quest)

COST: $130 ($100 USD)

PIECES: 792

MINIFIGS: Seven: Jake Raines, Professor Archibald Hale, Mac McLoud, Anubis guards (X2), Flying Mummy (FOR THE WIN!), Ameset-Ra, the Pharaoh

Well, this is my first text-review. I've done video reviews, but I can't do that now because I (stupidly) deleted the software needed to view those videos, or even recognize them as videos. AND I CAN'T DOWNLOAD IT AGAIN!!!! (Curses, a thousand curses on Quicktime!)

Now, this set breaks two of my personal records; My largest (new) LEGO System set, and my most expensive LEGO set obtained before the new year. The earliest time to get a new set was broken on December 12, with 7307, Flying Mummy Attack.

OK, on with the review!

THE BOX

OK, I just had to put the Bi-Plane in front of the box, as a size comparison to how big the box is! It's huge! But then again, all of the $130 sets have boxes about this size. So, on the box you can see our heroes have found the Scorpion Pyramid, Amset-Ra's supposed final resting place. But he has come BACK to LIFE! So now, the good guys have to keep the Golden Nemes from the undead monarchs and giant stone scorpion-thing so that the lord of the undead monarchs won't take over the world and turn everyone into zombies and then the entire LEGO world will turn into Zombieland and blah, blah, blah, BLAH!

SO, The box shows this climatic scene that took place back then. Also, you see the LEGO logo, Pharaoh's Quest logo, age limit (it LIES! YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD FOR LEGO!!!!!!), piece count, etc.

So, the back of the box shows another scene from this epic battle, as well as some of the functions this pyramid in mysteriously good condition has. Thankfully, there's no cheap “flick-firing missiles†that are clearly overused. You see the usual logo and set number, and the LEGO.com link, as if you need to be told what LEGO's web address is. At the very top, you can see shadows of Amset-Ra's Six Treasures to Rule the World, with the one of the Golden Nemes behind the real one.

The top of the box shows the minifigures, minus one of the Anubis Guards. I wonder where he/it is...

I don't know why LEGO chose to put a flying mummy in this set, instead of a regular one. I mean, it just feels out of place, being the only flying thing in this set.

Here's the actual size of the Golden Nemes (on the box, of course!), and on the other side, you can see the legal information that only business people pay attention to, so I won't bother taking a picture of that.

WHAT'S IN THE SET??

Now to gently open the box...

… dump out the contents...

… and see what you get! (Speakers, Mr. Peanut thing and TRANSFORMERS: Revenge of the Fallen DVD not included.)

So, you get not one, not two, but SEVEN polybags of LEGO, two instruction booklets, two sticker sheets, one elevated baseplate, and a partridge in a pear tree (kidding!).

About the sticker sheets...

*Audible groan* Well, one has all of the stickers for the pyramid, and the other has stickers for the sliding doors into the pyramid. Other than that, there are NO stickers. (thank goodness!)

BUILDING

Bag 1

Well, I've opened the first polybag, and I see that it has all of the minifigs as usual...

Wait, no it doesn't! Amset-Ra's Missing In Action! Usually, all of the minifigs are in the first bag, but not this time.

Anyways, the first bag contains 6/7 minifigs, their accessories, and all of the pieces for the good guys' vehicle.

Now to open the packets inside the bags with the special pieces inside. Man, I strongly dislike these mini-bags...

Now, one thing out of all of these pieces caught my eye; and that was the map to the pyramid:

That's a printed-on 2X2 tile! I thought LEGO didn't make those anymore! And look! It has the Anubis-Sphinx, the spire from Flying Mummy Attack, and the Scorpion Pyramid on it! This isn't just a reprint of an old 1998 Adventurers map. No, this is all 2011 Pharaoh's Quest here!

Kudos, LEGO! I'm impressed.

Now, here are the minifigs again (minus Amset-Ra):

Now, another thing I need to take note of is that the instructions say that you only get one revolver, but that's not true...

You get a spare! Oh, thank you, LEGO!

Now, on to the building!

Here's the vehicle. And I must say, I quite like the little rig. I mean, anything with a mounted gun on the back is instantly awesome. But, if I had a complaint, I'd say that there's no proper space for all of the extra equipment you get. There's only a spot for the large shotgun and the pickax. Also, there isn't a proper way you can put a gunner at the back. There's this huge empty space where the gunner is, so I guess you can put the rest of the equipment there.

Other than that, this is a great little vehicle.

Bag 2

The Scorpion Thing

This is a nice little creature, or should I say, BIG creature! The best part about this is that it has NO STICKERS. It's all printed on! The only thing that I can think of that isn't good is that not all of the legs can be on the ground at the same time. Oh ,well... at least there's no stickers!

BAG 3

Pyramid Part 1

In the next bag, you get pieces to build the stairs up to the pyramid, as well as part of the Pharaoh's tomb. 'Nuff said.

BAG 4

Pyramid Part 2

“Now, I have come BACK to LIFE!â€

There's Amset-Ra! I would have thought LEGO left him out if the instructions didn't say that he was in this bag. But his Golden Nemes is still MIA.

In this bag, you also get to finish Amset-Ra's tomb, which is strangely separate from the rest of the pyramid.

You also get one of those old Pharaoh sarcophagus from 1998's Adventurers sets. Recolored for this theme, of course!

And there's the Pharaoh! I wonder why he was buried without his Nemes, though...

BAG 5

Pyramid Part 3

Now you're building the walls of the pyramid, as well as the sliding doors.

BAG 6

Pyramid Part 4

There's the Nemes! In one of those annoying bags, no less. *Almighty sigh* Why does LEGO do that??

More of the walls are built, as well as the dumping function for three 1X2 bricks.

BAG 7

Pyramid Part 5

As you can see, I added the Anubis Guards as statues.

And there you go! That's the building segment of this review.

OTHER BITS

Here are all of the spare parts. I actually thought there were going to be more, but here it is. That gold thing was the thing that kept the coins together.

“Fire in the hole!â€

This is how the sarcophagus gets blown out: there's a knob in the pyramid that presses the sarcophagus against the wall, knocking it out. I thought that was a nifty idea.

Now here's the interior of the pyramid. There isn't very much loot, but hey, that's what you get when your architect designs your entrance to the afterlife with an open back. Thieves steal your bling. Maybe the architect ran out of money... maybe he did this on PURPOSE so that he could steal Amset-Ra's riches when he died! The possibilities are endless!

All that's left of Amset-Ra's treasure is his golden Nemes...

...And a yellow Chaos Emerald. Above the Emerald is the knob that makes the sarcophagus bust out of it's tomb.

On the second floor, there's no master bedroom, but a trap door that drops bricks onto the heads of thieves, adventurers, and salesmen. Just pull out the golden cone.

Here's a size comparison of the spire from the pyramid, and the spire from Flying Mummy Attack. Clearly, the pyramid spire is taller. But the other spire is more sturdy.

I like how the Anubis Guards can also be statues. Professor Archibald Hale won't know what hit him...

Hey, look! There's a scorpion under the stairs!

I like how LEGO chose to make the stairs flip up. You can hide all sorts of creepy-crawlies in there.

“Why did it have to be snakes??

As everyone knows, no desert scene is complete without some snakes! Indiana Jones, on the other hand, wishes that wasn't the case.

If anyone wants some quick cash, there's some coins in a scorpion pit! But don't worry; they're big scorpions. The bigger they are, the less poisonous they are!

One last little note: The flying mummy doesn't have a gunmetal gray spear, like his brothers in Flying Mummy Attack. No, he has a regular black one.

PROS AND CONS

PROS:

Printed pieces in abundance! (Well, compared to other sets these days.)

Printed map

Adventurer's vehicle

Nice little spot to put the Giant Scorpion on the pyramid

Lots of functions

Four minifigs exclusive to this set (Hale, Amset-Ra, and the Anubis Guards)

Elevated baseplate

Nice variety of pieces

CONS

No proper space for the gunner of the heroes' vehicle

Low piece count for a $130 set

Flying mummy looks out of place for this particular set

limited movement for the Giant Scorpion

Not enough treasure inside the pyramid

Open back

THE VERDICT

This set may not cover the piece to price ratio as well as, say, the Portal of Atlantis, but you do get quite a bit. Could this set make up for the pyramid that 1998's Adventurers didn't have? Well, if you take out the mummies and the giant scorpion, it would look a lot like a classic Adventurers set. If you missed out on 1998, I strongly recommend that you get the Pharaoh's Quest sets, especially this one. It just looks and feels like a classic.

RATING:

I'd give this set an 8.5/10. Looks great, lots of functions, but they could have put a removable back for the pyramid. I mean, they had enough pieces left to do it, and some giant tan diamond-cut pieces would be great! But, I guess, because of the higher prices for printed pieces and elevated baseplates, they probably couldn't do it. Oh, well. Like I said, it's still a modern classic!

Brilliant review. You've covered all the aspects of this set in great detail. 5 stars (*****) for the review itself!

This bugs me. If it costs $130 it should have 1300 pieces. But no, it only has 800. It should cost $80-$90, right?

Whoops.

Brilliant review. You've covered all the aspects of this set in great detail. 5 stars (*****) for the review itself!

This bugs me. If it costs $130 it should have 1300 pieces. But no, it only has 800. It should cost $80-$90, right?

Whoops.

Actually, in Canada, it's $130, while in the U.S of A., it's $100. I'm guessing the baseplace costs around $20 USD to make, so that's probably why LEGO kept the price at that.

Whoops.

Actually, in Canada, it's $130, while in the U.S of A., it's $100. I'm guessing the baseplace costs around $20 USD to make, so that's probably why LEGO kept the price at that.

I've seen one set that cost more than a set with fewer pieces. Can't remember them, though. It might have been some of those Star Wars battle packs.

Well, Star Wars is LEGO's "Get out of Debt Free" Card. Every 8-year-old that KINDA likes LEGO apparently NEEDS LEGO Star wars more than any other LEGO theme. LEGO realized this, so they bumped up the price for Star Wars sets. I've found other Licensed Theme sets that were WAY cheaper than any Star Wars set; more pieces too. In my opinion, LEGO needs to drop Star Wars and make better sets for their own themes.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.