Life-Sized Lego Island!

STUDZ

Hey, RRU.

A while back, I asked this question to the creator of LEGO Island:

"What happened to the real Island after the game was finished? Or were you told nothing after Mindscape fired you?"

Wes Jenkins said this:

"The actual Island was dismantled after development- people took some of the pieces but really, it just got tossed."

He later said this when I asked him if he had any parts of LEGO Island:

"I did keep some of the pieces of the Island but I gave most of everything away to kids of friends over the years. Actually all I have now is a couple Infomaniacs and stuff."

Well, that upset me! I loved LEGO Island, and I always wanted to see this actual-sized (for minifigs, of course!) version!

So, I've made it my mission to REBUILD LEGO ISLAND.

But, before you say anything about it, I'll let you all know that this will probably take a long time. I don't have a lot of money to burn, and I think that, altogether, this project will cost $1000. $_$ Also, where will I put it?

Right now, I'm trying to get some of the sets that were in LI. So far, I have... nothing. But like I said, it'll take a long time! I'll probably finish it when I'm in my own house.

I'll also need road baseplates, as well as actual things that aren't LEGO, like the beach and the bridge to the jail.

The first LEGO item I'll try to get is an old Minifig of The Infomaniac or the Police Office.

I'll probably be able to build an actual Information Center soon. By soon, I mean within the next year. >_>

Anyways, please put in any comments that you want; I welcome any opinions on this!

Uh huh.... really...

From my experience, gigantic, long term projects never work out. If you want to pull through, you need solid rock commitment. You really need to care. It helps a lot of you have even one other person who shares your intrest. It also helps if they live within a rechable area. Like a school district. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to discourage you, but make sure you know how big a project this is. Now that I think of it, it's not something that can't be done, but it will take a little while and quite a bit of cash for ordering all those parts. James might be able to help with the schematics for some of the buildings. Maybe other people could help with some Lego CAD program or something. As for building it, the buildings are the easy part. The landscape is a very different story. If you want it to be to scale, you're going to need to clock some serious hours with LI1 OR if Cyrem ever decides to make that .SI extractor. Looking at the actuall model for the island would save a lot of time running around trying to figure out the scale and distance of stuff. Plus you need what you're going to actually build the island out of, be it wood, foam, etc. I'd love to help, but I'm pretty bogged down with school stuff right now. Maybe the other members have more time to help.

I would start by making out a master list of all the things you're going to need/do. A building list and a part list at least.

Edit: You also might consider proposing the idea to BZP (:o) and see what they have to say.

When you say "life-size", what size are we actually talking? If it's 1:1, you better have your own island to build this on. If you are talking 2x2 meters or so, then that will be easy enough to build.

Secondly, were there any parts on the island that were custom and never actually produced by LEGO? Because that will be a downside.

Doc, BZP? We're better then that!

When you say "life-size", what size are we actually talking? If it's 1:1, you better have your own island to build this on. If you are talking 2x2 meters or so, then that will be easy enough to build.

...I always wanted to see this actual-sized (for minifigs, of course!) version!

Idk how big lego island is, but I'm pretty sure he wants it to be 1:minifig scale.

I think this is possible. Likely? No. But technically possible (look at the large layouts they do for the LEGO conventions). Seeing as many of the LEGO Island buildings are real sets, you would only have to build custom models for a few buildings, which are fairly simple (I've already done the Infocenter in LEGO Universe and LDD). Now, I wouldn't build the actual island out of bricks. If you look at Wes's pictures of it, only the buildings and objects are LEGO, most of the plant life and the landscape seems to be... Something else, I'm not quite sure what it is. But it isn't LEGO. Also, you would have to decide on an island design, as LEGO Island has changed designs with every game, and in LI1 and IXS, multiple designs can be seen in the same game. Here's a quick list:

1 - Original design. This is the design seen in the intro and Wes's pictures, and the one that was actually built.

2 - LI1 design. Much like the original, but with some modifications - racetrack goes underground, a path has been added to Captain Click's cave, etc

3 - LI2 PC design. I've extracted the 3D model for this with Legomoe's extractor and have completely textured it, so it would be very easy to measure for scale.

4 - IXS PC/PS2 design. The one seen in Island Xtreme Stunts, simple as that.

5 - Xtreme Stunts design. The island design seen on the set boxes, the ending movie for the IXS game, and all that stuff. We don't really have a solid map for this design though, just a general style, so I wouldn't go for this.

6 - The Comic Adventures design. Once again, we don't have a solid map, just little bits and pieces. Plus, it looks weird. I wouldn't use this one.

7 - All the other designs from the console and handheld versions of the games. LI2 PS1 is a bit like the PC design, but has no railroads, cave, and a lot of features have been removed. GBA is actually much more expansive then the PC or PS1 designs, but it would be a pain in the neck to re-create and it's not very nostalgic. The LI2 GBC island is pretty much flat road baseplates with assorted bricks scattered about, and plus, the story makes it non-canon. The GBA IXS design is cool, but we don't know enough about it to do anything with that. There's also the canceled Gamecube version of Island Xtreme Stunts, which may have or may not have had it's own island design - we'll never know for sure unless I can get in contact with somebody who worked at Silicon Dreams.

Secondly, were there any parts on the island that were custom and never actually produced by LEGO? Because that will be a downside.

Doc, BZP? We're better then that!

I don't think so. Lego wasn't doing all the custom crap back then. Besides the gigantic skeleton, which would be fun as hell to build, I don't think any customs were used.

And about BZP, all I wanted to know is how they would react.

OK, just clearing some things out:

1) This will be 1:Minifig scale, like the one that Mindscape made back in 1996 (for the video game)

2) it is possible.As stated above, Mindscape did it for their video game.

3) There be NO custom parts! The only thing that was never released from LI was the Information Center, and that's going to be the easy part. I'm going to buy the parts on Bricklink or something.

4) I'm NOT building the racetrack under the Island. Technically, it's not part of the Island, and I won't be able to build it.

5) It will be the ORIGINAL design for LEGO Island, with Captain Click's cave added to the final design.

6) I might bring this up on BZP, but they're too big, ao I don't think they'll help me. BUT, there is an AFOL community nearby where I live; they might be able to help.

7) The first thing I'll be building will be the Information Centre--Sorry, CENTER. This will be, as I said, the easiest part because there's no actual model, unlike the other models, so I can just order parts off of Bricklink.

8) About the BZP thing with Doc and Cyrem, I have to agree; you guys are better!

Well, That's about it. Any other questions??

IF ANYONE WANTS TO HELP IN ANY WAY: You can help by looking up links to pieces from the Information Center on Bricklink and sending the links to me. This would be greatly appreciated. I've been looking for the last half-hour when I realized that I don't even know for sure which pieces I'll need, or where to look for them. This will probably be harder than I thought...

You are going to need quite a few pieces. Get them from http://www.bricklink.com/ if you need more.

Perhaps island tours will help:

(but I'm sure you already know the layout)

Thanks, guys, but I don't know what some of the pieces of the Information Center are, for example, the windows. Please send links from Bricklink to these pieces!

I've got an LDD model of the Information Center, you can use that for reference if you want. It's 100% accurate. Want me to send it to you?

@ Jamesster: That would be great, but I can't seem to get LDD 4 to work. I tried downloading Quicktime, but I can't download that either! Send me a PM on how to fix this, if you can!

@ CTXXTC: ... I didn't send the Email to him yet...

OK, I got the Email back, here's what he said:

No, the actual island was just in the work place. It was 2 ping-pong sized tables put together; lengthwise. The land was made out of stacked Styrofoam, modeling clay and paint. I don't remember how much it cost but I know Mindscape didn't give me a $1,000 for it...of course, the LEGOs were free...so maybe it does cost that much...All of the buildings were made from actual LEGOs. After the project was complete, the Island was dismantled. I took most of the pieces home but ended up giving them away to kids after a while. the island itself was put in a dumpster.

I'll see if I can dig up a photo of the Information center but I think all I have is my early sketches.

"Early sketches..." *drool*

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.