Tutorial: Learn 3D Modeling With Lightwave V9.0

PWNZOR

So you want to learn 3D modeling with NewTek Lightwave 3D? This tutorial will go over the different features of Lightwave V9.0, which contains almost all, if not all, of the features covered by previous versions of the program. However, there are quite a few features that this tutorial covers that previous versions do not contain.

Main Overview

First, let's look at all the different areas of Lightwave 3D V9.0 and explain what each area's functions are.

gallery_23_73_204984.png

• The Main Menu

• File

• New Object (SHIFT + N): Creates a new object file, opening in a different 'tab'. You can switch between objects in the Object Browser (see the picture)
      • Load Object (CTRL+ O): Loads an existing .lwo file, saved somewhere on your computer/external media
      • Save Object (S): Saves your .lwo file to the file location
      • Save Object As (CTRL + S): Saves your .lwo file as a new file in the browsed directory with a given filename
      • Save Incremental SHIFT + S): Apparently functions as the Save Object As, but rather automatically creates a new file in the same directory with a new version 'tag' (Ex: My file was called Box; the first save was called Box_v001; the second save was called Box_v002)
      • Save All Objects (no default hotkey): Functions as the Save Object, but it saves all opened objects, rather than the one currently viewed in the modeler
      • Sections (no default hotkeys): I am unsure as to the purpose of these

• Save-Object-Section:
        • Save-Object-Section-Cut:
        • Save-Object-Section-Points:
        • Save-Object-Section-Points-Cut:

[*]Recent Files --> [select a File]: Opens the chosen file

[*]Close Object (no default hotkey): Closes the current opened object

[*]Close All Objects (no default hotkey): Closes all current opened objects

[*]Import: I am unsure how exactly to use these

• EPSF Loader:
        • pdbreaderv3:
        • Vertex Loader:

[*]Export:

• Export 3DS: Exports to .3ds
        • Export DXF: I am unsure what this exports to
        • Export Encapsulated PostScript: I have absolutely no idea what the heck this is
        • Export LightWave 5: Exports to .lwo, version 5 (Lightwave changed file formats after V5.X; LRR uses this file format)
        • Export OBJ: Exports to .obj
        • PathToMotion: No clue what this is
        • Throw: No clue what this is, either

[*]Edit

• Cut, Copy, Paste, Undo, Redo, Delete: You guys know what these do and what their shortcuts are (with the exception of redo, which is 'Z', not CTRL+Y), right?
        • Copy Tool: Same as 'Paste', except you can drag where the center is, rather than keep the object's previous position
        • Edit Keyboard Shortcuts: Brings up the keyboard shortcut editor, where you can add, remove, or change different keyboard shortcuts; I won't get into how all this works, so you'll just have to experiment. You can, however, save your keyboard shortcuts to a file and load them elsewhere, so that you can keep the same shortcuts wherever you are.
        • Edit Menu Layout: Same as above, except it edits which items are in which of the menu tabs (Create, Modify, etc). Note, I have not used this, although I have used the Keyboard Shortcut Editor
        • Edit Modeler Tools: I have not actually used this, but I believe this allows you to change the options of a couple different tools (I have Cut, Divide, and Make Poly)
        • Preferences: I am not exactly sure to the exact functionality of this button
        • General Options: Allows you to change a few options, such as the polygon mode, and the amount of undo levels that the program will keep record of
        • Display Options: Allows you to change different options for the viewing (how each viewing window displays, the colors of different things, what actually displays on the screen, units, and much more
        • Backdrop Options: Simply goes to the "Backdrop" tab of the "Display Options" menu
        • Set Content Recovery: Not 100% sure what this does
        • Recent Content Directories: Keeps record of the recent directories that was chosen in the "General Options" window (I think)

In-progress

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I do apologize; I've been caught up with getting back in the flow of school after a week of unofficial break, and then I am getting LEGO orders, and I also has friends I love to spend time with, and I am making 3D HP models for LRR...just a lot of stuff.

I will promise this, however; I will update this tutorial with the 'Create' and 'Modify' tabs as soon I finish the Tool Store; not a single model will come out until I finish those two pages of tutorial.

• 2 years later...

I will promise this, however; I will update this tutorial with the 'Create' and 'Modify' tabs as soon I finish the Tool Store; not a single model will come out until I finish those two pages of tutorial.

I know it's been a year, but it's not too late to finish this and fulfill your promise ;). It's a good guide so far.

This topic was broken by the spoilers, so I got rid of them to fix it up.

I know it's been a year, but it's not too late to finish this and fulfill your promise ;). It's a good guide so far.

This topic was broken by the spoilers, so I got rid of them to fix it up.

Darn, the spoilers don't work? The organization of this topic will be terrible. Thanks for unbreaking this, though.

I know I said I would update this...but I've been so terribly crammed after a period of me completely forgetting about this topic.

I don't know if I have the time until at least summer before I am able to work on this fully, and even then it's uncertain. And the fact that I'll have to deal with a super long list of stuff to add...I wish there was some better way of making this tutorial.

Honestly, one can probably get better documentation though Newtek's site or YouTube than I can write.

Darn, the spoilers don't work? The organization of this topic will be terrible. Thanks for unbreaking this, though.

They do, but somewhere there was a breakage. There were so many, it was easier to just remove them all.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.