Run Roller Coaster Tycoon 1 & 2 On Windows 7.

Cyrem

Like I said, a good place to start, but not an end-all.

Revo Uninstaller or IObit Uninstaller are faster ways to clear out the whole install, and are simpler when it comes to taking out registry modifications.

It was an end-all for us. I don't need to download and run another program to do it for me...I would rather uninstall and edit reg myself. I am not interested in doing it faster...just doing it right. But thanks for your efforts!

Not many people are willing or have the permissions to edit the registry, but alternate solutions are always nice in case the patch fails to fix the problem. Good work.

• 11 months later...

I just thought I'd say thanks for this support thread, I always had the issue of RCT crashing on loading/saving of games and this fixed it for me. This was actually the most helpful result on Google.

• 6 months later...

I need help please, I've tried all the tips on this thread and I've installed the update of the UK version.

I'm running on windows 7 64-bit home premium. I've set it in compatibility mode to windows 98 with the 2 boxes ticked mentioned in the first post.

When I start the game I hear the music playing but I only get a black screen, I can click on the buttons where I remember them being but still black screen. Weird thing is when I alt+tab to go to windows I briefly do see the screen I'm supposed to see. Grrrrrr! I just want to play the game! Can somebody please help?

Much obliged,

Randy

And off topic, I never added my picture to this forum. How did it get on here?

I only remember uploading it to my battlefield account, is this somehow linked to that or what the hell?

I need help please, I've tried all the tips on this thread and I've installed the update of the UK version.

I'm running on windows 7 64-bit home premium. I've set it in compatibility mode to windows 98 with the 2 boxes ticked mentioned in the first post.

When I start the game I hear the music playing but I only get a black screen, I can click on the buttons where I remember them being but still black screen. Weird thing is when I alt+tab to go to windows I briefly do see the screen I'm supposed to see. Grrrrrr! I just want to play the game! Can somebody please help?

Much obliged,

Randy

And off topic, I never added my picture to this forum. How did it get on here?

I only remember uploading it to my battlefield account, is this somehow linked to that or what the hell?

Hmmm interesting, have you tried running it in 640x480 or 256 colors to see if it makes any differences?

Regarding the avatar, that is also weird, this site isn't linked to any game services. Do you happened to be signed up with Gravatar? Thats the only way I can think it could happen.

Actually it doesn't matter if I set it in compatibility mode nor if I have the boxes ticked or not, every time it's the same result. Music playing with black screen. (but yes I did try your suggestion).

On windows xp it does work normally? Then I might install xp next to my Windows 7.

And the avatar, yes the battlefield website required me to make a gravatar account so that's what happend here.

It runs perfectly fine on my old Windows XP laptop. But just because that's the case, doesn't mean installing WinXP on a modern machine will fix the problem, as I'm pretty sure the hardware has an effect.

But just because that's the case, doesn't mean installing WinXP on a modern machine will fix the problem, as I'm pretty sure the hardware has an effect.

It does however DirectX versions also play a role. I have the GOG version which is marked a W7 compatible however I haven't had a look to see what the differences are between them. Maybe I should.

• 1 month later...
sherrashadwell

Im so lost on how to get this freaking game to WORK!!!!!!!! I have gotten older games to work on computers before but for the life of me I cant figure this crap out. It tells me every time I put the disc in it tells me that I must install the game first like its an expansion and Im pretty sure its the actual game disc not an expansion. Im using windows 7. PLEASE PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

Im so lost on how to get this freaking game to WORK!!!!!!!! I have gotten older games to work on computers before but for the life of me I cant figure this crap out. It tells me every time I put the disc in it tells me that I must install the game first like its an expansion and Im pretty sure its the actual game disc not an expansion. Im using windows 7. PLEASE PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

Happen to have a picture of the disc?

• 4 weeks later...
Randomness777

Hey I need some serious Help... My roller coaster tycoon 2 has this huge error that says "Inaccessible or Missing Data File" I have no idea what to do and I need  to play my Rct2... if someone could Please help that would be great!!! I open to any discussion and Ill look in to any info that people need to help me with.

Aside from that I don't know how to bring up the compatibly options for Roller Coaster Tycoon Deluxe...  (its not RCT2 its RCT1 that I need help with for the compatibility)

• 1 month later...

Hello, sorry to bother you guys.

Basically. Only just found out this beast of a game is on steam.
So, i instantly brought it and installed it, to get two messages

Exception raised: Access Violation
Error Location: Window's display driver

I then uninstalled it with rage, then found this webpage and the top post said gog.com sold it. I brought another copy. the exact thing happened again. Same Error's you name it.

I've tryed all the compatibility, the color's everything everyone said to try i've done it. Yet nothing.

I'd appreciate some help muchly, so many thanks in advanced for the help.

Go to Start Menu, type in dxdiag, then hit enter.  In the window that pops up, wait for the green bar in the lower left to finish, then hit Save All Information.

Save the file somewhere you'll remember (Desktop or Documents are good), then find it and double click it.

Copy the contents and post it here, like this:

<TEXT>

The Spoiler tags make it so it doesn't give us barely readable walls of text and we can make sense of it more easily.

• 9 months later...

If your Roller Coaster Tycoon 1 game is not running under Windows 7, this is will get it running.

What you need to do is find the game exe and open properties and go to the compatibility tab. On this set the operating system to Windows 95 or Windows 98, check Disable Visual Themes, Disable desktop composition and check Run as this program as Administrator and click ok.

Then download the patch.

After that the game should run just fine.

Hey,

I have the cd of roller coaster and i installed the game on my compter, and disabled those themes en desktop composition. I can open the game but when i want to save or load a new game the game will crash..

Can you help me?

Greetings.

Did you download and install the patch? That's the exact error I got until I did.

I downloaded the patch, but where do i have to save this patch?

I can't remember exactly as I did it a long time ago. I think you just save it anywhere and run it, it should sort itself out.

• 11 months later...

Hey,

I have the CD of Rollercoaster Tycoon 1 and it works just fine on Win 7 64-bit (it just throws an "access violation 0000 0000 0000" box every time you close the game but you click OK and it goes away). However, it won't load any saved games. It doesn't crash but pressing the "load game" button on the main menu does nothing. I've installed the patch linked previously, and now it won't load the window to save games either, even though it did before...

Looking at the files, I get a notification saying I "have files waiting to be burned to disc". These files are my Saved Games folder. I right-clicked this and pressed "burn to disc" but then was told the disc is not writeable.

Any help getting the game to load saves? Thanks.

Mumboking, I figured if he/she actually emailed me I would feel more comfortable giving my phone # so I can walk him/her thru the lengthy process, which would be by far... easier and faster!

• 2 weeks later...

I am having the same access violation error message problem and it'd driving me mad. I have Rollercoaster Tycoon Loopy Landscapes and am playing on a Windows 10 machine. I have reinstalled the game a few times, deleted the files from the registry as suggested on various forums, downloaded the LL patch (but it says I'm already up to date) and I am now out of ideas. I know it's not a disc issue because they play fine on an old XP machine I have. So far it has only happened on Evergreen Gardens (as I see if the case for others having the same problem). Has anyone got the solution?

• 1 month later...

Hello all,

after quite abit of testing, I finally managed to get RCT to work. If this doesn't work, make sure that you've set you the compatibilty of RCT-1 to Win 98/Me

1. Navigate to your RCT scenario's folder E.g (D:\Program Files\Hasbro Interactive\RollerCoaster Tycoon\Scenarios)
Or    C:\Program Files\Infogrames Interactive\RollerCoaster Tycoon Deluxe\Scenarios
2. Right click any scenario and hit Open With...

3. Open with rct.exe

For some strange reason, this completely bypasses the Exception Error. Hope this help you guys after such a long time.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.