Files from demo?

lol username

lol username

As you probably already know, the free demo of LEGO Racers and Nintendo 64 version had a different intro from the normal one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0cPFZlDFaA

Take a close look, and you will notice some things:

1 - While it seems to take place on the normal Test Track, there are some differences. Pause at 0:58 and look to the far right for an example.

2 - Take a look at the car designs of RR's opponents. Notice anything? They use parts not available in the car builder.

3 - The vehicles have actual studs instead of textures.

Once we get a .jam extractor up and running, I think it might be fun to take a look at the 3D models. If you don't have the demo, you can download it here: http://www.lego.com/eng/interactive/download1.asp?Title=Racers&Code=PC&ACTION=Demos (There, I've gotten rid of the Mediafire link if it's really that important)

Edited by jamesster

(As the demo was originally a free download from LEGOMedia.com, it isn't piracy to upload it to Mediafire.)

Yes it is actually, but chances are they won't really care.

lol username

How is uploading a free demo that is already available through several official gaming websites for free piracy? It was given out for free, it is still being given out for free, it is free, it was always free. Demos are MEANT for that. So how exactly is this piracy? 0_o

EDIT: Just found this: http://www.lego.com/eng/interactive/download1.asp?Title=Racers&Code=PC&ACTION=Demos

Because you're mirroring official content without explicit permission to, even if it is also available for free as a download from their site - I'm pretty sure you'll find something in their EULA that stops you from using it.

The law's a bee-atch regarding copyrights.

lol username

Tell that to IGN.

http://pc.ign.com/objects/011/011173.html

Also, if it was piracy, explain all these sites...

http://www.google.com/search?q=lego+racers+demo&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

IGN probably got permission, and LEGO probably don't care about the others. Check the EULA, but I'm pretty sure it's not legal. Anyway, I'm not really challenging your upload of it, just remarking that it's probably not legal.

lol username

I don't see how re-uploading an already free demo would harm anything, as I'm not taking credit for anything...

Now can we talk about the real point of this topic?

I don't see how re-uploading an already free demo would harm anything, as I'm not taking credit for anything...

Neither do I. As I said:

The law's a bee-atch regarding copyrights.

and again, read the EULA.

And about the real topic, I'll take a look tomorrow.

• 10 months later...

Ok, is it just me or is that demo the full game? because I just compared it to my copy and they are exactly the same file sizes and time stamps.

Infact, I can't tell the difference at all. I should probably check on another pc.

EDIT: Looks like the installer didn't over write properly or something. It is different.

JrMasterModelBuilder

I just installed it, copied over to my external hard drive (where it runs just as well), then uninstalled it. My JAM extractor works perfectly on the .jam file, and it looks to be mostly the same except for the files for the other race tracks and such are missing. Other than that, there are 2 new folders, "MENUDATA/HVSINTRO" and "MENUDATA/LEGOINTR" which are probably for the two intro videos which aren't the AVI's found on the full game, but simple 3D model animations.

lol username

I just installed it, copied over to my external hard drive (where it runs just as well), then uninstalled it. My JAM extractor works perfectly on the .jam file, and it looks to be mostly the same except for the files for the other race tracks and such are missing. Other than that, there are 2 new folders, "MENUDATA/HVSINTRO" and "MENUDATA/LEGOINTR" which are probably for the two intro videos which aren't the AVI's found on the full game, but simple 3D model animations.

I've got a theory. The NPC racers in-game don't use brick-built cars, the 3D models are one chunk. This means they can use pieces that don't exist in the car builder (which a few do), and have more complex shading baked in. The cars in the animated intro use the same system - would it be possible to swap the normal cars out with those ones so they're actual opponents in-game?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.