Rock Raiders iPhone

Sharkly

I don't like mactops, but I am quite impressed with the Iphone and the Ipad. The Iphone is very user friendly, and has an app for just about everything you might need or want. With 10 hours of battery life, the IPad is great for taking notes in college; unlike my HP laptop which is lucky to get an hour of battery life in performance mode and 2 hours in powersave mode.

----

On another note, Apple creates competition with Microsoft which keeps their monopoly from creating excessively high priced computers (although I still think that computers are overpriced).

You have a very good point. The iPhone/iTouch get a bit more love from me then the computers apple make. The iPad might be silly, but 10 hours is pretty nice.

Wise member is wise.

I can't wait until this project comes out!

Also, the iPhone OS4 is already out...

And how large will this be (plan on it being)? It can't be too large, as you have to be able to distribute it....you are distributing it, right? Not all of us can have our iPhone's jailbroken, y'know. *sighs*

I know it's out, but I've heard that all available distributions have already been sold (5000 I4's)... which means we have to wait for the next batch to come out.

I hope its not too resource heavy, we'll have to see. I'm going to try to make it as moddable as possible without a jailbreak, unfortunately that means more resource heavy. I'm doing my best, I hope to have most of the 3D Map renderer done by the end of next week. I've spend probably about 24+ hours working on getting the OpenGL View to work in the last 3 days. :af: Thanks for the support guys, I was feeling a little down today. :)

I hope its not too resource heavy, we'll have to see. I'm going to try to make it as moddable as possible without a jailbreak, unfortunately that means more resource heavy. I'm doing my best, I hope to have most of the 3D Map renderer done by the end of next week. I've spend probably about 24+ hours working on getting the OpenGL View to work in the last 3 days. :af: Thanks for the support guys, I was feeling a little down today. :)

Maybe you could make separate apps for the game and for the map maker (and other features you may be adding)? That would allow users to choose what they want to download, and that would also reduce the amount of resources used per app.

So like one app is for uploading and creating, and the other is for downloading and playing? sounds epic.

But you'll need servers...

Yes, I hope to get a server of some sort. Also, I could make a .wad importing function. I have many new Ideas I will try to implement, but I'm keeping them to myself just incase I don't get to them.

If you do get a server, you'll have to make deals with Apple....and it's going to be harder with the legalities, as you aren't doing this out of a company's interest, but out of personal interest....

Also... Here is the video that will be shown when the game starts:

http://fraxyhq.com/LRR/RRM_intro.mp4

Comments and Suggestions are appreciated.

It seems a bit long, and I hate it when I'm using a friends iPad nano and the app has about 20 seconds worth of opening stuffs. I think that you should just have the lego media logo show up and then the RRU logo, all of which should only take 5 seconds.

That's what I had planned on doing, but since the entire video can be skipped it doesn't really matter. Though just the Lego logo would be better quality.

Lego is so picky about people using their stuff. Do you know the reasoning for Retail Blockland having square studs on its bricks instead of circular ones like real Legos have? Part of the reasoning is because the 2x4 brick is a registered trademark of Lego and they told Badspot he couldn't have it in the game if he wanted to sell it. The square studs make it look less like the trademark brick. Whether you sell Lego Phone Raiders or not, the chances of them letting you use the visage of their bricks is slim, same with minifigures. You might want to get an alternate design for your raiders and not put studs on any of your bricks, just in case. Maybe you'll get lucky, who knows?

Not to be unrealistic, but perhaps you could see if you could make a deal with lego that you release it AS lego, and get your part of the income?

If you get a good game that meets the "99,99% bug free" lego software standard, they might even go for something like that

I'm not doing anything with it until it is. Also, If this works out I might port some other games too, such as Lego Alpha Team.

Maybe lego will give me a job. xD

lol username

First, using the official LEGO logo in a fan made game is 100% illegal.

http://www.lego.com/eng/info/fairplay.asp

Read this. If you are making a game using LEGO sets and characters, it should be 100% free, not use the official LEGO logo ANYWHERE, have the word LEGO capitalized at all times, and have a disclaimer saying the app is not official and that LEGO/DDI didn't make it. Also, if you use music, textures, sound effects, ect from official games you should give credit to that. Do all this, and you might be able to get by without being sued if you're lucky. Just be careful, and don't try to make it look official, make it very plain that it is fan-made. If I were you, I would put a disclaimer in big text at the beginning of the game that is impossible to skip.

Also, how are you making this? Unity 3D can make 3D games for iPhone/Other Apple products, and it is very easy to use (It is what I am using to make my fan-made LEGO game). I highly recommend it, in fact you might be able to import the original RR models without converting them to something else, I think. What format are they in again?

Why wouldn't they want the lego logo on a fan made game that's based entirely off a real lego game? (yes that's right, I just typed lego 3x without capitalizing it)

The2Banned2One

A lot of conversation has gone on since my last reply. Good productive conversation.

When we finish this we will also port it to Mac.

Also, according to jamesster's post, it looks like we can make this game as long as it's free, we don't include the logo, and have a simple disclaimer at the beginning. This is great. We are fine if we don't make any money off of it.

A lot of conversation has gone on since my last reply. Good productive conversation.

When we finish this we will also port it to Mac.

Also, according to jamesster's post, it looks like we can make this game as long as it's free, we don't include the logo, and have a simple disclaimer at the beginning. This is great. We are fine if we don't make any money off of it.

Yes, thats easy for you to say. I would like to make SOME profit. I'll see what I can work out later on.

Also, I'm thinking of using high poly LDraw models in the game. That would make it easier to make custom models.

lol username

Take a look at this. I think it sums up what I was saying pretty nicely, and it is official word from LEGO.

I need some input on the LDraw idea. LDraw models or not? It would make it so people who don't have Lightwave can edit the models. I personally think Its a great idea, but I'll have to redo all the models.

lol username

LDraw models are extremely detailed and not designed for games. If you use them, be sure to delete any extra polygons not normally seen by the player and make the studs a bit less detailed. Then you might be able to use them without epic lag.

I want Rock Raiders Mac detailed. But I will need to be more careful with RR iPhone.

I think RR iPhone Models should be obj files, which are easier to import.

LDraw models are extremely detailed and not designed for games. If you use them, be sure to delete any extra polygons not normally seen by the player and make the studs a bit less detailed. Then you might be able to use them without epic lag.

Detail is controlled by the designer. I can take an +8000 polygon model and reduce it to around 3000 without compromising the overall appearance. It doesn't matter if I use lightwave, Wings3d, Blender, or Autodesk, I can still do the same thing with each one.

The thing is, detail vs performance varies from platform, to OS, to game engines. From what I've read, LRR uses models b/w 800 and 2000 polies. FoC was around 2000 on just about everything. In my mod for FoC, SOTE, Models range from 3000 to +9000 polies... and you might have +50 of these models displayed on screen at the same time and get little to no lag.

---

Lag usually comes when the game has to compute the weapons, projectiles, damage, health, shields, AI, etc etc, when thousands of projectiles are flying around everywhere.

-----

Since this is for the iPhone, I'd say standard LRR would be absolutely fine, especially if you can split the whole LRR feature into separate apps.

I suggest a main app that downloads all the other apps involved. If you can't do that, just have that as a... I don't know, control center or something. You'll figure it out.

May I also suggest a custom RR skin for the iPhone, to go along with it?

</bad idea>

How is that a bad idea? Also, Nexus, do you know you need to buy an application from apple if you want to put the game on their store?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.