Lego Island 2 Discussion

lol username

lol username

Ok, so far so good. Now how do we open .msh files...?

EDIT: Sweet, I think I found a way to enable the "Dr Pepper" joke! (For those who don't know, it was a joke from a cutscene that was scrapped for some reason. The sound files are still in the game files though).

EDIT: Sweet, I think I found a way to enable the "Dr Pepper" joke! (For those who don't know, it was a joke from a cutscene that was scrapped for some reason. The sound files are still in the game files though).

Well, with the .msh files, I have good new and I have bad news.

The bad news is that it looks like the .msh file format LI2 uses was created by the game designers for use in the game, so we won't be finding any programs anywhere online that can open them.

The good news is that I've been examining the .msh files and I think I might be able to make a program that can convert them to a different format, something that could be opened by a 3D modeling program.

lol username

Well, with the .msh files, I have good new and I have bad news.

The bad news is that it looks like the .msh file format LI2 uses was created by the game designers for use in the game, so we won't be finding any programs anywhere online that can open them.

The good news is that I've been examining the .msh files and I think I might be able to make a program that can convert them to a different format, something that could be opened by a 3D modeling program.

Great! What about .col files (The files that tell the game how to react when the player runs into an object)? We could open the door by changing the .msh file, but we still wouldn't be able to get through until we changed the .col file).

EDIT: Also, since this is becoming more about modding LI2, should this be moved to the modding forums?

Haha same. Also, what's the cave for in Lego island 1, where the weird pirate guy tells you weird stuff?

Arr, That be the Skeleton of Captain Click! You thinks Redbeard be fierce, oh, Click and the Dutchman be the most feared pirate vessel here and yonder, maytees!

Did you know that Click did be makin' one visual appearence? In LEGO Soccer Mania, he be on one of the teams!

ARR, NOW LEAVE ME ALONE!!!

Fluffy Cupcake

It sucks that some objects use the same textures as other objects -.-. Like if you change the color of the horse on Castle Island it will also change the color of Pepper's hat. Or like the color of Pepper's arm uses the same texture as a part of his pants. (I wanted to put a t-shirt on him, but then it will look like he has no pants.)

EDIT: Also, since this is becoming more about modding LI2, should this be moved to the modding forums?
I thought of that just before I read that. Also, can't topics be split?

Great! What about .col files (The files that tell the game how to react when the player runs into an object)? We could open the door by changing the .msh file, but we still wouldn't be able to get through until we changed the .col file).

I can't make any sense of the .col files at the moment, all my brain power is being used on trying to understand how the .msh files work.

The .msh files are also turning out to be alot more complected then I originally thought, so it might be a while before I can create a program to convert them.

It sucks that some objects use the same textures as other objects -.-. Like if you change the color of the horse on Castle Island it will also change the color of Pepper's hat. Or like the color of Pepper's arm uses the same texture as a part of his pants. (I wanted to put a t-shirt on him, but then it will look like he has no pants.)

There should be something in the .msh files that determines what texture they use. I haven't found it yet, but once I do we may be able to change what model uses what texture, maybe even add our own new textures to the game!

Fluffy Cupcake

There should be something in the .msh files that determines what texture they use. I haven't found it yet, but once I do we may be able to change what model uses what texture, maybe even add our own new textures to the game!

I sure hope we can add our own textures. I am already having fun changing the textures but it sucks being restricted with other objects.

lol username

Well, I tried to edit a cutscene, but instead of the sound files I added playing, some other ones just stopped playing and there was silence. Back to the drawing board...

make sure the sound files are the EXACT same format as the other LI2 sound files. Even if there both .mp3 files, the files you added may have a different encoding.

You could try coping some of the existing sound files and using those instead of your own custom ones, just to see if its a problem with the sound files or the cutscene file.

lol username

make sure the sound files are the EXACT same format as the other LI2 sound files. Even if there both .mp3 files, the files you added may have a different encoding.

You could try coping some of the existing sound files and using those instead of your own custom ones, just to see if its a problem with the sound files or the cutscene file.

No, I didn't even touch the sound files - I was trying to modify the text document that tells the game when to play which sound files, how to move the camera, ect. I was modifying the cutscene that plays when you meet Dr Kilroy - adding in the 2 voice clips that were taken out from the cutscene ("Yes doctor, this is Pepper, and he's -" "PEPPER RONI!!" was originally "Yes doctor, this is Pepper, and he's -" "Dr Pepper?" "No, just Pepper!" "PEPPER RONI!!" if you look at the sound files - I was trying to put the unused voice clips back in by adding lines and changing values for the timing).

Fluffy Cupcake

make sure the sound files are the EXACT same format as the other LI2 sound files.

Actually there is different kind of waves used, because when I tried switching a sound with another it was slower and lower pitched in the game. Not all the sounds do that, just some.

Edit (adding more stuff to my post so I don't double post because I don't know if it is allowed): between z05 and z07 z06 is missing. (z05 is whack-a-bot and z07 is Castle Island.) Did they take something out? Also 12, 13, 19, 24-26, 29-35, 37, 43-49, 51-59, 61-89 also aren't there. Is there a reason they made gaps?

lol username

make sure the sound files are the EXACT same format as the other LI2 sound files.

Actually there is different kind of waves used, because when I tried switching a sound with another it was slower and lower pitched in the game. Not all the sounds do that, just some.

Edit (adding more stuff to my post so I don't double post because I don't know if it is allowed): between z05 and z07 z06 is missing. (z05 is whack-a-bot and z07 is Castle Island.) Did they take something out? Also 12, 13, 19, 24-26, 29-35, 37, 43-49, 51-59, 61-89 also aren't there. Is there a reason they made gaps?

I noticed that as well...

Fluffy Cupcake

Not to get off topic but, is double posting allowed or not?

If anyone wants to see them I took pictures of me on top of the secret area if you want a better view. (thanks to legomoe's extractor I could take the boundaries off so I made my way to there.) Also, I noticed there was two other pyramids in the back which I can't normally see. Not that that means anything.

lol username

Not to get off topic but, is double posting allowed or not?

If anyone wants to see them I took pictures of me on top of the secret area if you want a better view. (thanks to legomoe's extractor I could take the boundaries off so I made my way to there.) Also, I noticed there was two other pyramids in the back which I can't normally see. Not that that means anything.

Wait, how did you mod the files to get through?! SCREENSHOTS AND MODIFIED FILES NOW. O_O

Fluffy Cupcake

Wait, how did you mod the files to get through?! SCREENSHOTS AND MODIFIED FILES NOW. O_O
I just removed a .col (collision file) to get around the boundaries (located in z16PYA), and surprisingly the game still worked. (you can remove collision files for like everything.) I tried moving the building around on Lego Island and it worked. I tried fixing the textures but I failed and there is nothing I can do to fix it right now. I probably will be able to in the future.

Lego0099.png

like I said, texture issues.

Lego0105.png

Lego0110.png

Lego0116.png

Without that pyramid in the back I wouldn't have been able to take the 2 above pictures.

Fluffy Cupcake

What? When has there EVER been a fire station????

Let me repeat what I just said.

I tried moving the building around on Lego Island and it worked. But the textures are messed up and there is nothing I can do about it right now.

What I did was switch building models around (and their collision area), and it worked. I switched some of the textures around so they would still be on the building, but it is messed up. And it is weird how depending on how far you are the textures change. Like so.

Lego0101.png

Notice the big texture change between this one and the one in my previous post

Also, it is cool how the doors on the hospital open even though it isn't the info building.

lol username

Wait, so you can just delete the .col files and the game still runs?! xD I have got to try this! Nice screenshots BTW. Which .col file did you delete?

Also, I think I know what I did that messed my cutscene mod up, and I'm gonna try again. Wish me luck, as I know little about game modding!

Fluffy Cupcake

What? When has there EVER been a fire station?????

This makes me think that when the time comes somebody should make a fire station.

Wait, so you can just delete the .col files and the game still runs?! xD I have got to try this! Nice screenshots BTW. Which .col file did you delete?

Yup, thank you, and, the name of the collision file for the boundary is land_collision.col.

I think they really did build every building on LEGO island brick by brick because actually I removed some bricks from peppers house in a text file of pepper's house located in the BrickMorph.bob/bod file, and at the beginning of the game where you get bricks for pepper's house some of the bricks were missing. Though when the model is there to last forever it isn't like that anymore. Probably because it is just a model then because it doesn't have to get destructed or constructed. Also I found that the meshes of bricks are in Bricks.bob/bod or in places they are used in. Like the people of LEGO Island are located in the LEGO Island file. People of Castle Island in the Castle Island file and etc.

And now time for some pics of what I have been up to.

Lego0087.png

I took the collision of the bridge sides off and I was able to do this. xD

I also decided to change the old loading screen look.

Loadingscreenchange.png

I got a Johnny Thunder looking hat, yay!

...ok for some reason it looks like I changed Pepper's face when I didn't. Or maybe it is just me.Lego0134.png

Lego0126.png

Edit: I have pictures of something else to show, but I will only post after someone else does.

Fluffy Cupcake

With my modding powers I somehow managed to get inside the secret area. (yeah in, not on) But it appears nobody cares so why should I bother posting.

lol username

It's not that I don't care, I simply haven't had time to log on. Did that occur to you? :P

EDIT: I deleted the file you said to delete and replaced the original files with the modded ones, but the game still won't let me through the door or let me run up the walls like in that screen you posted. Help?

Fluffy Cupcake

It's not that I don't care, I simply haven't had time to log on. Did that occur to you? :P

EDIT: I deleted the file you said to delete and replaced the original files with the modded ones, but the game still won't let me through the door or let me run up the walls like in that screen you posted. Help?

Well, you do seem to be a main poster in this topic. But still no one else has said anything. Taking the file off does not let you through the door. I tried removing all the col except for the land but I still couldn't get through it. The way I got in was kinda unintentional.

and as you can see by this picture you would probably fall if you tried going through the door anyway.

Lego0194.png

Lego0188.png

Lego0191.png

Not to do with the secret area but with something else on LI2.

So can anyone guess why the Pizzeria is in a different area. what happened to Lego Island.

Lego0180.png

and jamesster, here is my boundryless file if you want it.

I'm sorry I haven't posted more, but I'm very busy in RL. Me and another friend are working on a game together, and that takes up most all my computer time.

lol username

Nice screenshots! I'll try out the modified file later. Some questions:

1 - I'll take a look myself when I try your mod, but can you see any immediate reasons why the area was scrapped (Camera glitches, pepper getting stuck, ect)?

2 - So there is also a floating pyramid or something? Weird. Got any idea why it's there?

3 - I recently made a quick YouTube video showing the area - you can see it here:

I showed some of the screenshots you took in the video (I gave credit to you of course and I'm gonna add an annotation with a link to your channel). Is this OK with you? It's not like I'm taking any credit for them.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.