Manually Installing Lego Loco On Win7

Cyrem

Manually Installing LEGO Loco on Win7

I found trouble running the installer, in-fact the installer would not run. So leaves me one choice, that is to manually install it.

Manual Install:

1. Create a folder where you would like Lego Loco to run from.

2. On the Lego Loco disc there is a folder called ‘art-res’. Copy this folder into the new folder you just made.

3. On the Lego Loco disc you will also find a folder called ‘Exe’. Open this folder and copy it’s contents to you’re the folder you made.

4. The disc also has the intro movie. So open the ‘Video’ folder and copy ‘locoIntr.avi’ and paste it in ‘art-res\video\’ in the folder you made.

5. Now in the Lego Loco folder you made your should have a file called ‘LEGO.INI’. Open it and replace it’s contents with:

//LEGO ini file

[DIRECTORIES]
Res=art-res\
ResFile=art-res\ resource.RFH
exe=loco.exe

[Video]
Dir=art-res\video\locointr.avi
[PROCESS]
CleanExit=1

Thats it!

To run the game you'll need to set your display resolution to 16-Bit and 1280x1024.

To run the game you'll need to set your display resolution to 16-Bit and 1280x1024.

And that would explain why some of the maps have things broken off of them (I'm on 1280x800)

I found trouble running the installer, in-fact the installer would not run. So leaves me one choice, that is to manually install it.

Manual Install:

2. On the Lego Loco disc there is a folder called ‘art-res’. Copy this folder into the new folder you just made.

3. On the Lego Loco disc you will also find a folder called ‘Exe’. Open this folder and copy it’s contents to you’re the folder you made.

4. The disc also has the intro movie. So open the ‘Video’ folder and copy ‘locoIntr.avi’ and paste it in ‘art-res\video\’ in the folder you made.

5. Now in the Lego Loco folder you made your should have a file called ‘LEGO.INI’. Open it and replace it’s contents with:

//LEGO ini file

[DIRECTORIES]

Res=art-res\

exe=loco.exe

[Video]

[PROCESS]

CleanExit=1

Thats it!

To run the game you'll need to set your display resolution to A: 16-Bit and B:1280x1024.

A: Yes, probably

B: Worked on 1024x768 for me aaaages ago :P

• 2 years later...

Cyrem, do you have a 1998 release or a 2001 (WinXP) rerelease? I ask becuase I have a 2001 copy, and if I use this method, I get an error telling me to reinstall the game. If this fix is for a 1998 copy, that needs to be noted. ;)

EDIT: Fail. LOCO came out in 1998, not 1999. I'm getting mixed up with Racers... :P

Edited by le717

There was a 1999 release too? 0.o

I was mixed up with Racers. There is no 1999 LOCO release. It came out in 1998. I should know that...

Alright.. So how do I delete it after I'm done with it? I just played Loco again; it wasn't as fun as I remembered haha. I went to delete the new folder (which is hideously displayed on my desktop), and when I go to delete it, it says it's not there -_-;;

Any ideas?

EDIT

So, I deleted each item individually. Seemed like the .ini files couldn't be deleted unless I erased everything in them. The only thing stopping me from deleting the folder is my saved game. Any ideas on how to get rid of it?

EDIT

So, I deleted each item individually. Seemed like the .ini files couldn't be deleted unless I erased everything in them. The only thing stopping me from deleting the folder is my saved game. Any ideas on how to get rid of it?

Try a program called "Unlocker". After install, right click on the folder, select "Delete" in the drop down menu.

• 4 weeks later...

i still cant run it, everytime i try to it tells me that it can only run in 16-bit even though i changed that already. Got any ideas to solve this?

i still cant run it, everytime i try to it tells me that it can only run in 16-bit even though i changed that already. Got any ideas to solve this?

I assume you are running Windows 7, and the installer is working. ;)

You mean 16-bit color. So you put your PC in that color mode, and it still didn't work. What is going on is that you are kinda missing half the error message. LEGO LOCO says that it must run in 800x600, 1024x768, or 1920x1280 resolution. Your first move would be to put your computer's resolution into one of those. Of course ,if you have a 16:9 monitor, it will look all bent out of shape because those are 4:3 resolutions. You could also try my little trick for running LOCO in resolutions other than the "supported" ones. You can get LOCO running in 720p that way.

Of course, the installer could be failing, and if you tried the INI file Cyrem posted to no avail, you're only other option is to use my LEGO LOCO Alternate Installer to install LOCO. Just be sure to follow the compiling instructions on that topic. :)

Manual Install:

4. The disc also has the intro movie. So open the ‘Video’ folder and copy ‘locoIntr.avi’ and paste it in ‘art-resvideo’ in the folder you made.

//LEGO ini file

[DIRECTORIES]

Res=art-res\

exe=loco.exe

[Video]

[PROCESS]

CleanExit=1

Thats it!

I do exactly what you said but it just doesn't work. When I launched the loco.exe, it appeared a table that said "An error occurred while loading. Please reinstall this software" Please help me!!!

I do exactly what you said but it just doesn't work. When I launched the loco.exe, it appeared a table that said "An error occurred while loading. Please reinstall this software" Please help me!!!

You have a 2001 rerelease of LEGO LOCO. Currently, the only way to install a 2001 version of LOCO is to use my LEGO LOCO Alternate Installer. Sorry about that.

O.T.

Hmmm.... I have an idea on how I could simplify the process of installing a 2001 LOCO...

EDIT: Fixed link that has been broken for who knows how long. :P

Edited by le717

• 6 months later...
LocoAboutLEGO

Hi guys I'm new. I have LEGO Loco and I have trying to install it for ages. I have tried the method suggested here, didn't work for me :(, got the failed to install correctly error. I have no idea where to start with the alternate installer, sorry for being stupid but could someone point me in the right direction ? Thanks

Hi guys I'm new. I have LEGO Loco and I have trying to install it for ages. I have tried the method suggested here, didn't work for me :(, got the failed to install correctly error. I have no idea where to start with the alternate installer, sorry for being stupid but could someone point me in the right direction ? Thanks

Hey Welcome to RRU!

If this tutorial is failing for you, that means you have a 2001 re-release. This tutorial works only for the 1999 version. ;)

I've fixed the link to the Alternate Installer (which I wrote, BTW), I had no idea it had been broken for that long. O_O

To use it, click the link in the Downloads header, and download the first file in the folder (it will be an .exe). Stick your disc into your CD drive, and run the installer. If the disc is identified as a valid LOCO disc, it will continue. Just follow the steps, and it will install LEGO LOCO for you. If something fails, or it cannot find your LOCO disc, please make a post on the Alternate Installer with error details (I may ask for more if I need them), and I'll see about a fix. I've been meaning to improve the installer anyway, and this now gives me an excuse reason to do so. :P

• 1 year later...

Hey Welcome to RRU!

If this tutorial is failing for you, that means you have a 2001 re-release. This tutorial works only for the 1999 version. ;)

I've fixed the link to the Alternate Installer (which I wrote, BTW), I had no idea it had been broken for that long. O_O

To use it, click the link in the Downloads header, and download the first file in the folder (it will be an .exe). Stick your disc into your CD drive, and run the installer. If the disc is identified as a valid LOCO disc, it will continue. Just follow the steps, and it will install LEGO LOCO for you. If something fails, or it cannot find your LOCO disc, please make a post on the Alternate Installer with error details (I may ask for more if I need them), and I'll see about a fix. I've been meaning to improve the installer anyway, and this now gives me an excuse reason to do so. :P

First off i'd like to thank you for taking the time to make programs like these. It can't be that easy.

I still have a problem though. I downloaded the Lego LOCO alternate downloader on your other topic, put the disc in my computer and ran the program. but for some reason it still gives me the fail to install correctly error, and i have no idea what to do now. It might be just be something stupid i did but i dont know. if you could help me out that would be great!

First off i'd like to thank you for taking the time to make programs like these. It can't be that easy. I still have a problem though. I downloaded the Lego LOCO alternate downloader on your other topic, put the disc in my computer and ran the program. but for some reason it still gives me the fail to install correctly error, and i have no idea what to do now. It might be just be something stupid i did but i dont know. if you could help me out that would be great!

I have a basic installer layout I follow for each one, but it's no too simple of a task, as each game has different ways of working (archives, uncompressed files, registry strings, INI files, etc.). So no, it's not that easy, but it helps when you enjoy doing it.

O.T.
Speaking of which, I really need to finish that Stunt Rally installer...

Can you post a screenshot of the error box you are getting as well as the root of your disc in Details view? If it is my installer that is throwing the error, then your disc might be scratched and it can't read that sector. I doubt it is erroring like that from an incompatible rerelease, but it could (but again unlikely) be from the fact it is a 1999 original release, a copy I do not have, so that's why I asked for an image of the disc root. :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.