LEGO Racers 1: Modding Research

Cyrem

What is this Forum For?

This forum was added for the discussion and research on how to mod LEGO Racers 1. Information can be posted here, discussed and hopefully we'll figure some stuff out.

How Can I Help Research?

First, you'll need a copy of LEGO Racers 1.

Second, download Game Extractor.

Third, use Game Extractor to extract the files out of LEGO.JAM.

Sorry, but in order to make changes to the LEGO.JAM file you must donate at least $5.00 to it's creator. So you might have to make manual changes until we can get some sort of JAM Tool for RRU (I might contact Strider and see if he can alter his app, I might end up paying him for his time do develop it for us, kinda because I think he deserves it a little bit)

Research? HEX? Formats? What are you talking about?

If you don't know what this stuff is, please google it. If you don't understand anything we are doing, best not reply with random ideas about stuff with no actual evidence.

Wait... Aren't we modding Rock Raiders?

Yes, but if you feel like giving yourself a challenge you can look into some of this stuff also. No-one has made any LR1 mods, so we can be the first to do this also.

About the utility...

It doesn't work.

Yes, it reads the archives, but upon attempt at extraction, it throws a bunch of floating point errors and doesn't do any visible change.

Unless it dumps the files in some random folder that I can't find.

About the utility...

It doesn't work.

Yes, it reads the archives, but upon attempt at extraction, it throws a bunch of floating point errors and doesn't do any visible change.

Unless it dumps the files in some random folder that I can't find.

Did you install the latest version of JAVA?

Ah too bad, I've got Strider looking into seeing if he can make a JAM Tool for us.

Well today I found that Game Extractor does not work correctly extracting the files. It seems to miss a bunch of very important files that I want extracted. I guess I'll have to wait till strider makes a tool for this or if he doesn't, I'll make it myself.

Speaking of Strider, where is he, he hasn't been on for almost a week.

Actually he hasn't truly been on 6-7 months. He made the extraction tools, but doesn't really have anything to do with modding. From what I gathered, he doesn't really want people contacting him as he removed his email address.

When you saw him on a week ago that was actually Cyrem, I believe, posting Strider's tools.

Yes.

Good news, Strider said he has made an extractor so far!

Fluffy Cupcake

When you saw him on a week ago that was actually Cyrem, I believe, posting Strider's tools.

Yes.

Ah, ok.

That is great news to hear that he made a extractor. So, any news about making a extractor for the LR2 gamedata.gtc file, or has no one talked about that to him yet?

Yes.

Ah, ok.

That is great news to hear that he made a extractor. So, any news about making a extractor for the LR2 gamedata.gtc file, or has no one talked about that to him yet?

I asked him to make the JAM one since is it very similar to WAD. GTC however is very different and contains compression which WAD and JAM do not have. First we need to figure out the format before we go asking another to make extractors. JAM was already figured out so that's why I got strider to modify his application.

Fluffy Cupcake

I asked him to make the JAM one since is it very similar to WAD. GTC however is very different and contains compression which WAD and JAM do not have. First we need to figure out the format before we go asking another to make extractors. JAM was already figured out so that's why I got strider to modify his application.

Ah ok. Looks like the gtc will need a bit of in researching (and I'm not talking about internet) to make a extractor for it.

JrMasterModelBuilder

When will the JAM extractor be available and will it be free? Also, what is in the JAM file?

Ah ok. Looks like the gtc will need a bit of in researching (and I'm not talking about internet) to make a extractor for it.

Supposedly there is something called an "encrypted safe folder" with the same extension. I wouldn't bank on it though. BTW, the file has no header, everything is 00 for the first load of lines. :o

I tried to compile the extractor from the source, and got 55 errors.

I suspect that this tool is so old that its code is outdated.

I found the first error quite interesting though:

C:\Users\Bart\Desktop\source\GameExtractor.java:613: cannot find symbol

symbol : class FullVersionVerifier

new FullVersionVerifier();

I think he included the full version, but didn't enable it.

Anyone in for a hack? :P

When will the JAM extractor be available and will it be free? Also, what is in the JAM file?

When he posts it and yes it will be free.

JrMasterModelBuilder

dont expect too much of it. The game is quite old, so it is alltogether a bit dated.

I think it's still pretty good, just. . . easy. Veronica Voltage is/was tough, though. Cheat codes made it fun/crazy again for a while. It just needs to be livened up again. :D

dont expect too much of it. The game is quite old, so it is alltogether a bit dated.

I'm pretty sure LRR came out the same year (or the year before/after).

But we'll see how much/little we can do soon...

LRR came out in the sme year as the set, if I remember that correctly (so that is 1999)

Lego racers came out in 1999 as well

Anyway. About the file types:

It might be a good idea to look at them from a different perspective. Lego Racers is a 3D game, so there must be a series of files present:

1. 3D model files

2. Texture/picture files

3. Music and audio files (found: .ALP and .TUN files)

4. Character animation files

5. If the tracks are not included as complete 3D models, these should be seperate files as well

Now it is just trying to see what file belongs to which part.

I'm pretty sure LRR came out the same year (or the year before/after).

But we'll see how much/little we can do soon...

I remember getting both of them in a 10 dollar 2-pack. Best. Deal. Ever.

Also, I consider Lego Racers one of the greatest party-racing games ever made.

we are just starting to figure out what all the files are for, and what type they are, and you start to ask if we have modded stuff to show?

Make yourself useful and start trying some things yourself, or have some patience.

kthxbye

lol username

HVS sent me an email reply!

"Hey Jamie,

Your kinda going back a way there. We loved Lego Racers and it was the first title of the Lego gaming brand so we're pretty proud to have been a part of that successful franchise.

In talking with the team, we know that there were a few different shortcuts planned for various levels that were later culled for various reasons (i.e. if you missed the shortcut you were at too great a disadvantage to catch up, etc). Unfortunately, no one can remember where the short cuts that were culled had run. The project in in archive at the studio and so we couldn't pull it for quick reference without a ton of IT work (and you know how IT guys get). We think that you are right on with your assesment though.

Thanks for being a fan from way back and thanks for giving us the ability to think back to a game we loved being a part of.

Sincerely,

Team High Voltage"

Hm... Several tracks had shortcuts pulled? Interesting! Looks like I've got some work to do!

Awesome you got a reply. Indeed lots of work to do with this game.

It would be great if he could tell us a bit more about the formats that were used, but as he said in his reply even to take a look he'd have to do a heap of IT work.