Dimensions for complex LEGO bricks?

legodude

I have basic measurements for the basic LEGO bricks, but I was wondering how they made all those LEGO parts in 3D, especially the complex ones. I can't find those measurements anywhere.

Here's my first attempt at making bricks myself (I have all various sizes from the bricks shown in the pictures) - I can't proceed without proper measurements, I want to help creating some (low) poly models for RR.

Thanks.

51729574.jpg

mariok.jpg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• legodude

• Anonymouse

• Acmex

• TheDoctor

O.o...that is...very good.

You forgot the lego text on the studs though. :P

I guess if you had some calipers you could get the measurements for some of the others. Wait... Can that open .DAT files? I think thats what MLCad uses.

O.o...that is...very good.

You forgot the lego text on the studs though. :P

I guess if you had some calipers you could get the measurements for some of the others. Wait... Can that open .DAT files? I think thats what MLCad uses.

Well the .DAT files consist of endless lines of coordinates and angles, nothing that is of use to me. The real question is how did they obtain the dimensions for the bricks from which they created the .DAT files in the first place? I e-mailed some guy at the LDRAW helpdesk I'm hoping I'll get a reply within the week.

Also I kinda avoided the LEGO text on the studs, they would eat away a huge amount of polygons so I'll probably render those to a texture and stick 'em up the diffuse map.

He's talking about the LEGO text.

I've been thinking of a super-precise ruler... Let me think a bit more, and I might post it here :)

Yea but some parts are almost impossible to measure with rulers, especially the ones with curves in them etc. (not to mention they have to be exact to the tenth of a millimeter)

I just wonder how those guys made the LDRAW bricks, they must have had some measurements of the brick.

I did the baseplate for some of the Rock Raider vehicles, as you can see some small details are missing because I don't have their measurements.

77855624.jpg

I found something that might help a bit.

http://orionrobots.co.uk/tiki-index.php?page=Lego+Specifications

There also might be something here: http://www.ldraw.org/Article292.html

I'll look into finding more specifications for the bricks.

I found something that might help a bit.

http://orionrobots.co.uk/tiki-index.php?page=Lego+Specifications

There also might be something here: http://www.ldraw.org/Article292.html

I'll look into finding more specifications for the bricks.

Thanks but you don't have to do that, I searched for a whole day long and I found nothing but the basic measurements only. There's not even one post about how they are making those LDRAW bricks. I'll just wait for a reply to my E-mail I sent to them, if I'll get any at all that is. :P

You know when the Blockland community made bricks they just did it themselves without taking measurements and all that. It's not that hard to pick up a piece, find its length, width and height in studs, and do any other details on your own if they're too complex to be described in an equation. There aren't that many bricks that break the standardized units of measure, and the ones that do are usually Technic variants or one-offs anyways. You know the dimensions of a 1x1 brick, you know basic geometry and most likely trigonometry as well, and you know AutoCAD, so you can make practically any brick as long as you have it in front of you. Also, I don't see anything wrong with that baseplate except for the lack of axles, so I really don't see what the problem is.

If I could convert .dts files to something else I would so I could give you some of the various Blockland bricks, but I don't know of such a converter. And I'm not talking about Retail, I mean the 0002 mods.

You know when the Blockland community made bricks they just did it themselves without taking measurements and all that. It's not that hard to pick up a piece, find its length, width and height in studs, and do any other details on your own if they're too complex to be described in an equation. There aren't that many bricks that break the standardized units of measure, and the ones that do are usually Technic variants or one-offs anyways. You know the dimensions of a 1x1 brick, you know basic geometry and most likely trigonometry as well, and you know AutoCAD, so you can make practically any brick as long as you have it in front of you. Also, I don't see anything wrong with that baseplate except for the lack of axles, so I really don't see what the problem is.

If I could convert .dts files to something else I would so I could give you some of the various Blockland bricks, but I don't know of such a converter. And I'm not talking about Retail, I mean the 0002 mods.

I'm not sure if I have any LEGO in the house, if I had them infront of me then I could probably work with it a little better. I'd need pictures of each component etc.

As for the baseplate I made, the axles are indeed missing but if you look at them in the manual they are quite complex.

Well I started myself on the thingy's at the side of the baseplate, I only know their lenght so the rest (radius, the holes in it) is guessed from pictures.

baseg.jpg

The axles look perfect, but the studs still get me. They look like some fake arse not lego bricks I have.

But thats not important now.

The studs are actually perfect because I have their measurements from the original LEGO bricks.

I just finished the front part of the Chrome Crusher, this is without a doubt one of the hardest components to model in the set (it's not 100% perfect but it's in terms of size it's perfect)

It's going to take a while before I finish it, but I'll keep posting updates when I progress. I'll also post in spoilers next time. ;)

Huh? They work fine on the other forum I posted them on - ImageShack is one of the best (if not THE best) image uploaders on the web, their links always work and images are never deleted.

frontgc.jpg

front2a.jpg

And they discriminate against anyone outside the US :|

Upload them on the RRU Gallery please and make it easier for all of us. Sorry for the impolite removal. ;)

Huh? They work fine on the other forum I posted them on - ImageShack is one of the best (if not THE best) image uploaders on the web, their links always work and images are never deleted.

frontgc.jpg

front2a.jpg

Hmm I love in Holland and it has always worked fine, I'll upload to my gallery aswell next time.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.