Thumper

Cirevam

Thumper

Prerequisites: Tool Store\Teleport Pad\Power Station

Cost: 8 Ore, 1 Crystal

Foundation Area: 1 tile (though the piping overlaps the adjacent square, it can be driven through)

Effective Range: 2 squares away

Description: The Thumper is a perimeter defense structure, much like the Electric Fence but fulfilling a different role. As Slimy Slugs are generally immune to the fence or crawl right under it, the Thumper creates strong shockwaves which scare slugs who get too close. The sound of the compressor running also annoys slugs, so it acts much like a large version of the Sonic Blaster. However, one must take care that building Thumpers next to walls may cause landslides, and they are completely ineffective against Rock Monsters.

Yes, the pneumatics actually work, and it makes a decent plastic thump. I want to see a lot of entries this time, so this is why I'm posting mine now instead of near the end. I don't care about winning, I'm just trying to motivate all of you.

EDIT: Lowered effective range. Three is too much as you could have one Thumper defending a large tunnel which throws it out of balance. Two is better because you still have four squares of separation between multiple Thumpers but you also can't stick it in the middle of a cluster of buildings and expect it to defend all of them.

shut up doc it's totally my idea that I didn't rip off from Half Life or anything like that

Also, read the last sentence in the OP. "I don't care about winning." I was just trying to annoy some of ya'll by acting overconfident, and it worked.

Wow great work Cirevam, I would have never thought of something like this. It's quite a realistic creation and it would have been an excellent defence system had something like this been put in the game. It would look great on very large maps where you'd have to build some sort of fortress to ward of slugs and monsters.

You wouldn't want to be a Rock Raider standing next to this when it goes off...

What is the spring on the side? Is it used for the compression?

Yes, that would be the compression pump. There weren't too many places to put it even though I have two feet of tubing left.

• 2 weeks later...

COMPLETELY RELATED:

My dad built a Thumper recently as well. I just found the article today. Like father like son in extreme passive-telepathic function. Check it out: http://howtosound.com/docs/Soundbytes_Mar10/GearHead_Thumper.htm

I'm going to have to show him my Thumper once school is over for some freaky Twilight-zone vibes.

LMS Engineer

very nice! here's an idea, put an energy crystal under it and when the slug comes: SMASH !!!!! no more slug. to make it fully automatic place the trigger inside the 2 legs and attach an axle to it so when the slug tries to push the axle to the side the system activates and SMASH!!!!!!! slug juice anyone? (now with extra pulp xD)

• 4 years later...

Hi - would we be able to use your Thumper as a possible new building in Rock Raiders 2?, I was thinking of this as a special building to dig down to a lower level, you would have to locate a diggable floor and then build the thumper on that position, would you be OK with that? I would want to post it on our site and get feedback, and we would have to change a final 3D version to be a little different to LEGO TM pieces, but basically quite similar.

I'm fine with that as long as credit is given where it is due. I can see how you could redesign it as an entrance to a lower level, though I might be wary of a large drill hanging over my head as I step into the depths of a planet.

Man, this was made over four and a half years ago. It doesn't feel like it's been that long.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.