Hi there, I said I would analyze the (available) code to Lego Rock Raiders and see what I can do with it and today I have come to a verdict. I will be able to reconstruct the game engine with the data I have available and the insights created by just looking at the overall configuration of RR and the game mechanics. It won't be easy nor will it be a swift task but it can be done and it will be done. One of my work projects has been postponed til 2017 and the other one is almost done so I feel like I can start on Rock Raiders Reloaded come next week and below is what I will start working on and what I will be planning to do for now with the project.
When I start I will be working on:
- The base engine (camera controls, HUD, resource control)
- Starter elements (Tool Station, Rock Raider, Solid Rock, Dirt, Drills and Shovels)
- The start of the Rock Raider AI system (I noticed how bare bone it actually is in the original game and will improve quite a bit)
- Basic map design.
- Keeping everybody up-to-date with what is going on.
What I am planning to do with the project itself:
- Recreate the Rock Raiders experience the best I can.
- Improve AI for everything.
- Make modding a lot easier on the new platform.
- Fix a few things that were broken/glitched in the base game (Ore Refinery using more ore than it needs because of zealous Rock Raiders; Trucks dumping more resources than a site needs;)
- Redo the way that drilling and using lasers on walls works by giving the walls HP instead of the system that RR used.
- Change the Laser Towers into base defense structures which engage enemies in their range when a red alert is active and maybe nerf their EC usage or just remove that altogether.
- Create a way of patching that makes sure you don't have to download the whole project every time there's an update.
What I am planning for when the project is stable and has what it needs:
- Keep improving the project.
- Create a multiplayer mode (co-op for now, PvP in whatever form will require some more thought beforehand).
- Work on a more complex sequel to Rock Raiders with more resources, buildings, vehicles and a ton more.
Let me know what you guys think so far and I'm curious for your opinions and ideas.